Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 14:19

Plan: THE HIGH PROTEIN DIET
Stats: 165/165/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question lOW CARBS FOR A VEGGIE

Hi, I'm new to low carbs, its still under a great deal of scrutiny here in the uk and I'm curious. A "naturally chubby" friend of mine who after enjoying a bit too much of good USA cuisine tipped the scales at 190. He's just returned to the UK for Christmas a lean 160 pounds singing the praises of the Atkins diet.
I was stunned, he hasn't looked like this since he was fifteen!
I've already read a couple of books on it and it sounds fine but the thing is I'm a vegetarian, and have been for decades so I have no desire to give it up now.
Is is possible to still follow a low carb plan provided I steer clear of the usual rice , bread, cereals and pasta and allow myself cheese, tofu and quorn?
If there is a vegetarian out there who has successfully lost weight on any low carb plan I'd love to hear from you and would gratfully receive any advice you may give.
Cheers then,
Lou (thewestbou)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 12:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Is it possible? Absolutely! Atkins is about the only plan that *isn't* vegetarian-friendly. Protein Power, the Zone, and others work nicely. In fact, there's a "Soy Zone" book available.

The main reason that Atkins won't work veggie style is that vegetarian protein sources (wheat gluten, soy) have a fair amount of carbs, so a higher allowance than 20 g daily is necessary.

I followed Protein Power and my protein staples were eggs, cheese and soy products such as Yves brand. You just have to read the labels of veggie products carefully, because some are surprisingly high in carbohydrates. Even different brands of tofu, for example, will have big differerences in carb count.

Not to nitpick, but just for the record, low carb diets are *not* high protein diets. *Adequate* protein and adequate fat would describe most of them more accurately.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:19

Plan: THE HIGH PROTEIN DIET
Stats: 165/165/150
BF:
Smile vegetarian forum

Kristine,
thanks very much for taking the time to reply its all very useful info.
Having cut out all carbs (other than those naturally found in appropriate fruit and veg) I'm already adjusting to this new way of eating. I have to say I'm struggling with the sugar cravings but I guess that will subside eventually.

thanks again for the support,
Lou
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hope those sugar cravings are diminishing. I like to eat a spoonful of peanut butter when I'm craving a dessert. Usually works.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/154
BF:
Default I hope it works too!

Hi there! I'm also in the UK and a vegetarian. Well, actually I eat fish. But I'm on Atkins so I would dispute that its not veggie friendly. I can eat eggs & cheese. Some soy products are low carb - you just need to look at the backs of all packets and go to Holland & Barrett or a local health food store - they should be helpful.

Keep us posted with how you get on, and feel free to contact me direct.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:07
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Lou:

Dr. Schwarzbein's Principle is also low carb, vegetarian-friendly. She uses more grains than most of the other LC plans. She even has a Schwarzbein 340 page vegetarian cookbook. If it's anything like my regular Schwarzbein cookbook, it's wonderful.

That reminds me, I was supposed to buy it for my neice.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/164/136
BF:
Default Re: lOW CARBS FOR A VEGGIE

I live in wales and am really missing bread, and its only my 2nd day! I am veggie and have been using quorn as a substitute check labels though because the southern fried grills are very high carb. I baked some coconut cameroons from the recipe at the back of the atkins book to beat sugar cravings. Only 3 grams carb each. Hope that helps
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 23:15

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default atkins for a vegetarian

Hi there,

I am a vegetarian following the Atkins plan. I have been on it for almost three months. I know many nay sayers and DR. Atkins even have said its not a plan for vegetarians and my relatives and husband also thought I was crazy, but it actually worked and is still working.

I just had to adjust what I normally would eat because everything, and I mean everything I used to eat was carb loaded. So I did a lot of time searching for recipes, meals, etc. I would be happy to share some with you just let me know.

One thing I found helpful is the Atkins low carb substitutes like the corn muffin mix (yum!) or I just got some low carb tortillas, and these open up more doors than vegetarians normally have. The only thing I have found hard is eating out. All the vegetarian menu items usually include lots of carbs.

We do not eat out often normally though, so it works out ok. I would definitely use the quorn products if they are low carb, I also use lots of meat substitutes.

Last point, I do not do Atkins as strictly as some meat eaters, because of the limited selection. Even though I am on 'induction' and eating 20 carbs a day yes I do eat nuts and occassionally a strawberry or other fruit, it has still been working out and I do not have the carb cravings I used to.

Good luck with it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 06:21
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

etoiles,

Thank you for your upbeat comments! My daughter, who barely has time to sleep because she works full-time and is in college at night, is a vegetarian. Like me, she needs to lose weight. She asked me if I knew anything about low-carbing in a veggie life style. (Not really, I'm in the Atkins forum!) She doesn't want to leave her veggie way of life to become a carnivore, so I've been searching through the various forums to try and find some inspiring posts to encourage her. So glad I found yours!

I also found a cookbook for her that is on sale at amazon.com at a low price: "The Schwarzbein Principle Vegetarian Cookbook"

Perhaps others on the Vegetarian Forum have read this book and would care to comment on it, or maybe it's just a useful bit of information for you guys to know about it.

I ordered it, but won't receive it for a week or so. I'm hopeful that it will have great recipes!

I might even be persuaded to join you Vegetarians. (Maybe!)

Good luck to all!

Last edited by Mary H. : Thu, May-29-03 at 06:33.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 07:18

Plan: i am trying "south beach diet"
Stats: 155/155/130
BF:
Default low carb veggie

I have been doing "The South Beach" for about two months now. I have lost 15 lbs, mostly in the first few weeks the last 5 in the middle. I have been doing this while I have been substituting veg. meat for the real stuff. I may be eating a bit more carbs because of this but it has been very easy. The only thing I miss is pizza so I may give in once in a while. The snacks in "south beach" have kept me on this diet. I feel like I eat all the time which is good cause you really feel like your on a diet. I will probably keep this way of eating forever. Cheating once in a while will not hurt you as long as you get right back on. Good luck to all of you.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 21:02

Plan: Haven't started any yet
Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:

I'm a fledgling vegetarian (no meat and dairy) and I'm considering starting the Atkin's diet principle for some weight loss.

I eat so much carbs on a daily basis, I had no idea that it *may* be the culprit behind my weight gain.

So much info here, I'm reading, making notes and ready to start.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 10:00

Stats: 127/127/112
BF:
Progress:
Default what a relief!!

Wow it's so nice to hear i'm not the only veggie starting this and improvising with soya and tofu stuff...on my way to Holland and Barrett now! : )
It's really scarey stuff though./..taking in all this fat that used to be "no WAY"!!
The worst part of this diet though is a.m.....no cereal or yoghurt! I had to literally force feed myself an omlette this morning which i definetly did not fancy...yuck!!
Take care
Etalia
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 12:37
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Once you get past induction, you can have some plain yogurt. I think as long as you get at least 3 active cultures-they digest most of the natural sweetners in yogurt so that you only end up with 4 g of carbs per cup. I have gotten some, sweetened it with Splenda and some fresh strawberries.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 02:42

Stats: 127/127/112
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks!

That's great news! One thing I'm not sure on is can the time of the indiction vary for each person? Today is only day two for me, but I can feel it working already! I have sudden energy and I know it sounds silly...but i think i can see a slightly slimmer me!! Does that mean i can quit the induction in one week...do you think? Or just add a tiny peice of fruit more or something? I'd love a cup of tea wigth milk! Also I had some nuts last night cause i felt really low, have i ruined the induction?
Your view is much appreciated : )
Etalia
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 04:47
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

You probably don't want to go off of induction just yet... you want to go the full 2 weeks.

As far as the nuts go, you probably haven't ruined anything, but try to stay away from the nuts until the 2 weeks are up.

If you want tea with milk, have some tea with a little cream.