Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 12:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Mike, do give a review of your new toothpaste in a couple weeks, if you would.

Dr Axe's info is a little light on the details. Us humans on our current diet are not able to make enough K2 in our gut. Natto , and emu oils are very high; with moderate amounts from butter, ghee and eggs. Goose liver is rather high, but then goose is almost always raised on a pasture.

I thought it interesting that eggs from The Netherlands has twice our eggs.

Many options to use our diet to get K2. SOme hard cheeses are better than others. Like gouda.

I do think about a time when a meal was finished with cheeses as the dessert......
The mixture makes an effective tooth polish/whitener.

The acid in the lemon makes a fizz at first -- don't be alarmed, it's a chemical acid-base reaction. Plain lemon juice can etch enamel

The 50% calcium carbonate added is less abrasive than baking soda and is used in wine-making to neutralize acid. I found it on Amazon: "North Mountain supply."
Just added a few drops of essential oil (cinnamon, peppermint and clove oil) as the mixture was getting a bit thick or dry to use easily. I still use a fluoride based anti-sensitivity toothpaste or tooth oil most of the time to brush with.

Note: found vit K and K2 at HEB. Noticed the caution: not for those on blood-thinners like aspirin. I take a low-dose enteric prescription daily too. I likely get enough vitamins from the "Vital Farms" pastured eggs. They are delicious

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Jul-24-18 at 12:22.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 12:26
Grease is the word!

Quote:
I am ready to ban American cheese from this house.
Good idea, along with any fattening nuts
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 12:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d

The acid in the lemon makes a fizz at first -- don't be alarmed, it's a chemical acid-base reaction. Plain lemon juice can etch enamel

The 50% calcium carbonate added is less abrasive than baking soda and is used in wine-making to neutralize acid. I found it on Amazon: "North Mountain supply."
Just added a few drops of essential oil (cinnamon, peppermint and clove oil) as the mixture was getting a bit thick or dry to use easily. I still use a fluoride based anti-sensitivity toothpaste or tooth oil most of the time to brush with.

Note: found vit K and K2 at HEB. Noticed the caution: not for those on blood-thinners like aspirin. I take a low-dose enteric prescription daily too. I likely get enough vitamins from the "Vital Farms" pastured eggs. They are delicious

You make great points on the chemistry of the components-- acids are not good for enamel but acids can be changed via chemical reactions.

An essential oil a good adjunct as some are anti bacterial. I have yet to try CO as part of the toothbrushing experience. Maybe as a mouthwash.

I have given up my anti-sensitivity with flouride toothpaste. I want to see if my teeth really can heal.

Most people dont get anywhere close to the amount of K2 needed. The cautionary note is a good one, as many foods supply our needs and can be in conflict with the drugs we take.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 13:41

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
An essential oil a good adjunct as some are anti bacterial. I have yet to try CO as part of the toothbrushing experience. Maybe as a mouthwash.

I used to include eo’s in my toothpaste recipe, mostly for flavour, but discontinued for this very reason. An anti-bacterial will kill off both the good and the bad indiscriminately. A balanced mouth microbiome is my goal, as well as remineralzation.
My current recipe includes:
- coconut oil (used because I like the feel scooping a paste into my mouth rather than just powders)
- baking soda
- xylitol
- diatomaceous earth
- bone meal powder

After the first time I tried it without the eo’s, I decided I like the taste better plain, anyway.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 14:23

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:

is this a good one? calcium carbonate
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 19:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
I used to include eo’s in my toothpaste recipe, mostly for flavour, but discontinued for this very reason. An anti-bacterial will kill off both the good and the bad indiscriminately. A balanced mouth microbiome is my goal, as well as remineralzation.
My current recipe includes:
- coconut oil (used because I like the feel scooping a paste into my mouth rather than just powders)
- baking soda
- xylitol
- diatomaceous earth
- bone meal powder

After the first time I tried it without the eo’s, I decided I like the taste better plain, anyway.

You may not be aware that CO is also antifungal and antibiotic.. We generally use it to clear athletes feet. ANd cooking.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 22:50
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
is this a good one?
looks to be as good as any. Comments indicate good for teeth.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 07:22

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
You may not be aware that CO is also antifungal and antibiotic.. We generally use it to clear athletes feet. ANd cooking.

I realize that ... but so are many other natural foodstuffs, spices like cinnamon and tumeric, vinegars, garlic, lemon, ginger, honey, etc. Eo’s are highly concentrated, so I figure that they may be a bit too aggressive against the microbes in my mouth. Better safe than sorry, as they say : )
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
I realize that ... but so are many other natural foodstuffs, spices like cinnamon and tumeric, vinegars, garlic, lemon, ginger, honey, etc. Eo’s are highly concentrated, so I figure that they may be a bit too aggressive against the microbes in my mouth. Better safe than sorry, as they say : )

I see. You're thinking CO less effective than EO's. And it could be, certainly.

I wish there were studies we could look at to see the efficacy of these many natural anti bacterials and antimicrobials. This information I have been lookingfor for a looong time. It is a really simple testing process.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Jul-25-18 at 07:58.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 09:48

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I just dip a wet toothbrush in baking soda and it seems to work about as well, no worse, than the toothpaste I gave up. Going to give those blotting toothbrushes from Tooth Wizards a try, thanks for the tip a little way back.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 15:52

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I just dip a wet toothbrush in baking soda and it seems to work about as well, no worse, than the toothpaste I gave up. Going to give those blotting toothbrushes from Tooth Wizards a try, thanks for the tip a little way back.
I've worked tooth blotting into my regular brushing routine - mostly after the last brush of the day - but a lot of times after every brush (after every feed / meal). The special brushes really work. I always get a very clean feeling afterward. An unusual feeling for me. So no more crest. No more listerine. No more rinsing with tap water. I'm probably being overcautious to not put too much pressure on the gum line at the 45 degree angle. Safe. Than sorry.

#102   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 16:10

BF:

I too have changed howmuch pressure the brush puts on the gum line. Still using a traditional brush, but with less pressure and baking soda, no crest.

Peeled back the lips of my dog, I see tartar-------on one tooth, the others are prestine white, and shiny.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 08:49

BF:

Just arrived home from an ortho visit for DS1---his knee xrays show bone lacking in calcium. Loved the doc, one of the bettter visits. He suggested Calcium supplement and when I asked about K2, he discussed K1. Thank goodness for our discussions here!!!

Trying to devise a plan.
Looking for recommendation from Mike D on his source...
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 08:55

BF:

Quote:

Mike is occurs to me that if we get enough k1 from green leafy veg we might not need the blood thinners.

Checking HEB for K2.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 09:04

BF:

Forgive me for adding resources here---

Bones
Bones rich in cartilage include joint bones like knuckle bones and chicken feet. Minerals: Bones are rich in minerals, particularly calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium. All bones are dense storehouses of these minerals, and longer.

MILK
The specific content of minerals in milk is listed in the Nutrient Content Tables in the Nutrition Facts section. Milk is a good source of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, and zinc. Many minerals in milk are associated together in the form of salts, such as calcium phosphate.

Here are the mineral building blocks but also need the vitamins too

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Jul-26-18 at 09:18.