Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 01:16

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Vitamin D to restore fertility for PCOS sufferers

Found this very short article in the Daily Mail today. It refers to a study done at Yale University, so I am sure it can be found elsewhere on the web if you look for it.

And a little question, is PCOS the same as "uterine fibroids", or is that something else?

amanda

Vitamin D 'can boost fertility' 12/11/2008

A vitamin found in sunlight as well as oily fish and eggs could improve women's fertility, a study has found.

Researchers say vitamin D can help restore regular periods for women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which affects around one in five in the UK.

The study, by Yale University School of Medicine, involved 67 women, of whom 18 had problems ovulating. Of these, 13 had PCOS.

Only seven per cent were found to have normal vitamin D levels. The researchers said those with ovulation problems or PCOS were far more likely to be lacking in the vitamin than the others.

They suggested that women with these conditions should be given vitamin D, which can be taken as a supplement.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/217/155 Female 61
BF:
Progress:

Interesting
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Role of vitamin D treatment in glucose metabolism in polycystic ovary syndrome.OBJECTIVE: To determine the effect of treatment with vitamin D(3) analogue in the parameters of glucose metabolism in obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). DESIGN: Observational study. SETTING: Obese women with PCOS in an academic research environment. PATIENT(S): Fifteen obese women (mean age 28 +/- 1.3 years, mean body mass index 32.55 +/- 0.43) with documented chronic anovulation and hyperandrogenism were recruited into the study. INTERVENTION(S): Alphacalcidol (1-alpha-hydroxyvitamin D(3)) was administered orally 1 mug/day for 3 months. All subjects underwent a frequently sampled IV glucose tolerance test after a 10- to 12-hour overnight fast during a spontaneous bleeding episode before and after treatment with alphacalcidol. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Peripheral insulin resistance and insulin effectiveness were estimated with minimal model. RESULT(S): The first phase of insulin secretion was significantly increased after treatment with alphacalcidol. A favorable statistically significant change also was observed in the lipid profile. CONCLUSION(S): Treatment with the vitamin D(3) analogue (alphacalcidol) could be of value in the management of PCOS.

I think the only way we will see progress with vit d is via analogues like this where people can profit from the intervention with a patented drug form.
Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations are associated with insulin resistance and obesity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Women with hypovitaminosis D (<9 ng/ml) had higher mean BMI, indices of IR and leptin levels compared to women with normal serum levels (all p<0.05). Analysis of vitamin D and biochemical endocrine PCOS features revealed a significant correlation only between 25-OH-VD and sex hormone-binding globulin as well as the free androgen index. In conclusion, in PCOS women, low 25-OH-VD levels are associated with obesity and insulin resistance but not with PCOS per se.

the obvious answer is to raise 25(OH)D to optimal 125nmol/l~175nmol/L using 100iu/daily/D3 for each 1ng or 2.5nmol/l required. But that's not going to make anyone any money you can buy effective strength D3 for peanuts. (it's even available and cheap in the UK now) So we'd better think of a reason why that may be dangerous and make people afraid of the natural product that is biologically identical to the stuff our skin makes or they won't want to pay lots of money for our patented synthetic version will they?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

This follows on an earlier work Vitamin D could correct men’s damaged fertility For decades lower levels of Vitamin D have been associated with unhealthy outcomes in women and children, but now a new Australian research suggests that men too are affected equally.

Researchers believe that a lack of sunlight, nicknamed the “sunshine vitamin” because of its unique ability of being produced by the body by exposure to the warm sun, may damage sperm and thus affect the male fertility.

800 men with fertility problems were enrolled in the new study. At the start, nearly 59 percent reportedly suffered nutritional deficiencies, including lower than normal levels of folate and vitamin D, analysis revealed.

As all the participants were undergoing fertility treatments to induce pregnancy in their partners, they were urged to take up lifestyle changes.

Of them, as many as 123 participants agreed to make lifestyle changes and to take dietary supplements for 2-3 months before starting fertility treatment.

Quitting smoking, reducing coffee and alcohol intake and taking a diet rich in folic acid and other vitamins were the foundation of lifestyle changes.

Three months on, almost three-fourth reported a significant reduction in the number of damaged sperm. Out of the lot, 36 couples successfully achieved a pregnancy with 18 not using any assisted reproduction technologies.

Highlighting the importance of the vitamin, Dr. Anne Clark, medical director of the treatment centre, Fertility First, noted, "Just like women, men too should monitor their pre-conception health."

"Thinking about getting pregnant is a combined project. Fertility is a couple issue, it's not a woman's issue. The traditional sort of foods that we ask women to eat to improve their chances of having a healthy baby, men need to be told the same. They make up half the baby, so they need to be making changes too," she added.

Vitamin D also plays a vital role in strengthening bone and fabricating healthy teeth. Moreover, besides its basic function of boosting the body’s calcium absorption, vitamin D also appears to play a significant role in upholding the immune system.

A chronic Vitamin D deficiency often shows up later as brittle bones and an undermined immune system making people more susceptible to auto-immune diseases, such as type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis and to certain types of cancers, researchers noted.

Remember that Sperm have got Vitamin D Receptors that means they must have a use for Vitamin D. The other place you find VDR is in the sperms target tissue. So both male and female will need to have optimum Vitamin d status to ensure both sperm and the tissue that sperm is heading for have D3 available.

PS uk average D3 status through the year is lower than the 75nmol/l ~ 30ng status in the above research regarded as normal. Remember also that normal is not the same as natural. The natural level our bodies attain and maintain if we naked lived as we evolved is 50~70ng or 125~175nmol/l at those levels breast milk flows replete with D3, our muscles achieve maximum strength, we have the greatest protection from chronic disease and least incidence of infection (colds and flu) Serum 25(OH)D can be expected to rise by about 1 ng/mL (2.5 nmol/L) for every 100 IU of additional vitamin D each day
2~3 drops daily of this Cheap UK source of effective strength D3 should be sufficient for most people
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 17:16
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
And a little question, is PCOS the same as "uterine fibroids", or is that something else?

Fibroids are something else. Fibroids are large cysts in the uterine wall. PCOS involves super-tiny cysts on the actual ovaries - eggs that didn't get released, basically.

I suppose you're right, Hutchinson. I wish there were a Fairy of Pure Research dropping money onto deserving science labs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 15:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

YOOHOO!!! A UK source of Vit D3!!! I'll check out whether they do European deliveries, if not, I'll get my sister to order it and send it to me ASAP.

Oh, and by the way, shock horror, stand back in amazement, Barry Groves recommends that all women over 35 take approx. 4,000 IUs a day to ward off osteoporosis and ostopenia. He is generally strictly against supplements, and in his 2007 book "Natural Health and Weight Loss", there was no recommendation like this. But he has obviously been won over by the weight of the evidence, and he even gives the vitamin D council's website as a recommended site in the back of the book.

If Mr Groves has been convinced that there actually is one supplement worth taking (I haven't read the whole book yet, but this is the only one he's ever mentioned to my knowledge), then this is a real turnaround for his way of thinking.

I shall check out that site again right now for delivery terms.

Thanks a million for posting that!

amanda

PS

They will deliver to places other than the UK!!!!! I will contact them tomorrow morning!!! That sounds like a good deal and no hassle with begging favours off complete strangers or buying 1,000IU tabs for €15 per 150 tab bottle, which I was about to do.

Last edited by amandawood : Thu, Nov-13-08 at 15:36. Reason: want to add a ps
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 13:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

Just placed my order - yippee!!!

amanda