Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%
Default Question about PCOS

what is PCOS? i read it in another post or two and i just dont get it. my daughter takes glucophage so i assume it is something to do with diabetes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:32

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi aimie. pcos stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome. It used to be called polycystic ovarian disease but I suppose the powers that be didn't think it was serious enough to be called a disease. It is simply when one or both of a woman's ovaries (and possibly her fallopian tubes) are covered to one degree or another with what are normally benign cysts. It isn't usually painful but does cause a cessation of interruption of menstruation. If left untreated over time the cessation of mentruation can lead to cancer of the endometrium. My mother and I have both had pcos and endometrial cancer. Diabetes is something entirely different. My mother and I have that too. If you suspect your daughter might have pcos don't delay. Have her treated as quickly as possible. As you might have guessed I have issues. Take care. Hope1
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/215/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Actually, you don't have to have cysts to have PCOS. I don't. The reason the name has somewhat changed is that a disease implies a known cause, while a syndrome is a mass of symptoms indicative of a problem without a definitive cause. The big test for PCOS is a blood test for LH and FSH hormone levels, with at least twice the LH compared to FSH being considered positive for PCOS. Also, symptoms including excessive hair, weight gain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sporadic or absent menstrual cycles are signs of PCOS.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:28

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

People with PCOS are often insulin resistant (sometimes called pre-diabetes). People with IR take glucophage to control their insulin levels so they do not become type II diabetic. It's the same drug your daughter takes with the same purpose.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 04:05

Plan: Lower carbing
Stats: 420/322/144 Female 69in
BF:
Progress:

Quite agree there. I don't actually have the cysts but I have PCOS which was diagnosed through the irregular/heavy/no periods at all, and LH & FSH blood tests. I have gone on to get Diabetes Type II because of PCOS - apparently....... The Metformin makes the cells insulin sensitive - which is what is amiss in PCOS and Type II diabetes.

Last edited by jaxturner : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 04:18.