Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 13:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Mayflowers; the combined weight loss of peeps on this site over the age of 55 and doing LCHF is astronomical. Not only do they lose it ... they keep it off.

I'm 55 next year and honestly, whether it takes a little while or a long while ... this woe works fantastically. Your walking and LCHF will bring you all the way. If you add strength training ... even faster. Oh and one pound per week means you'll lose your weight in under one year. Have fun
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 13:53

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

At age 58 I've now lost about 65 pounds, with another 65-70 to go. But to be honest, I had to incorporate intermittent fasting to make it work (I just stopped losing completely when I tried at the age of 48). With really significant insulin resistance, just LCHFMP (moderate protein) is not sufficient for this over 55 year old.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 08:58

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Hi Mayflowers; the combined weight loss of peeps on this site over the age of 55 and doing LCHF is astronomical. Not only do they lose it ... they keep it off.

Hi Greek,
I am hoping to lose another pound this week. I have started walking. At my age, I think that's the secret with low carb. You have to exercise with it. I'll report any loss this week. I would surely take 1 lb a week if its consistent. I just thought I'd lose faster being on low carb. I love how I feel, I have more energy, I am more clear headed off grains, no brain fog, or drugged feeling like you get after having a carb fest. I just feel better over all and I will keep eating this way unless my risk factors get worse. That would be an indication. I think though Low Carb is the way for me.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 09:11

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I agree that exercise is important, but I'm not sure about it helping weight loss. But on the other hand, my 1 mile walks take me 30 minutes - even with 1/2 of that being uphill it may not be enough. My walking always falls off in winter, so I picked up a Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone dvd. She says the 30 minute workout is like walking 2 miles. I was skeptical, but after doing it yesterday I think she's right - it's quite a workout!

It's pouring rain right now, so I'll be walking inside today.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 12:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Bonnie - I used Leslie Sansone a lot last winter and plan on doing the same this winter, maybe even today since I couldn't get out this morning and it's about to rain and then it gets dark, so indoors for me too. It is a work out. My only complaint is that after a few months of her I started to hate the sound of her voice. I'm hoping my break of about 9 months allows me to listen to her again.

Jean
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 13:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
My only complaint is that after a few months of her I started to hate the sound of her voice.Jean

That's what my friend who recommended it said!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I picked up a Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone dvd. She says the 30 minute workout is like walking 2 miles. I was skeptical, but after doing it yesterday I think she's right - it's quite a workout!

Hi,
I have a lot of Leslie's DVD's. I just bought her Miracle Miles with the jelly exerciser band. I love it. It gives a good upper body workout. That is my plan for the Winter. Her DVD's and some weight lifting DVD's. I think building more muscle will help me lose more weight.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Bonnie - after a few months of her I started to hate the sound of her voice. I'm hoping my break of about 9 months allows me to listen to her again.

Hi,
You can always mute the dvd and just follow her with no sound.. I love her I think she's so motivating and perky...
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 09:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Hi Greek,
I am hoping to lose another pound this week. I have started walking. At my age, I think that's the secret with low carb. You have to exercise with it. I'll report any loss this week. I would surely take 1 lb a week if its consistent. I just thought I'd lose faster being on low carb. I love how I feel, I have more energy, I am more clear headed off grains, no brain fog, or drugged feeling like you get after having a carb fest. I just feel better over all and I will keep eating this way unless my risk factors get worse. That would be an indication. I think though Low Carb is the way for me.
Yes! Me too, I love the low carb/exercise combo at our age. I've started walking again every day and love how it makes me feel. It has a good impact on my digestion, I'm sure of it.
So glad you are feeling as good as you are. What an instant reward for your efforts. You've already lost a lot of weight, so you are well on your way and there is no reason you won't take this all the way. The devotion is the "now" ... the devotion is not the goal. The goal is just a great side effect
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 09:48

BF:

I checked with my fit bit when I did the workout yesterday & it showed a tad under 2 miles. I'm not sure how accurate my 2nd hand fit bit is, so I'll just assume she's right. Which means I'm getting twice as much exercise in half the time.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 10:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Hi,
You can always mute the dvd and just follow her with no sound.. I love her I think she's so motivating and perky...

I like the music - & so far she's OK. She reminds me a lot of someone I know, tho a tad peppier.

Husband thought I'd eventually be able to do it on my own without the video. Told him no way, I'm not coordinated & my memory is lousy.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Cool I love your encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I'm the same height as you and now 62. LCHF has permitted the best, sustainable weightloss of my life, all after age 50. After 35 years of yo-yoing, for me this is the only satiating WOE for losing & maintaining. I did tweak by eliminating my inflammatory foods (dairy protein, grains, soy) and got below 150 lbs, where I always got stuck when younger than 50. Rate was 0.5 to 1 lb/week, slowing down for the last 15, but it kept moving. Now I maintain with intermittent fasting (a 4-10 hr eating window).

I love Deirdra's encouraging words. I'm almost 54 and averaging just under a pound a week after 5 months. I will keep the dairy protein down from now on. I've done Weight Watchers so many times it's a joke, and while it worked much faster...I kept needing to return. I also like the fasting idea and do it myself and it works, and doesn't hurt! I also take meds that have about 10,000 calories each (not quite) so it's an age and meds whammy that slows me down. But I have resolved to one year of sticking with this because it makes sense and is doable. Thank you for sharing!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 05:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Typical week for me: weigh day officially Tuesday. Down three! Second weigh day, Wednesday: up two. Third weigh day, Saturday: down one. Total loss: Down one. I don't like to be a stranger to my body and now I can deal with the ups and downs without having a major depression. It's good to know I'm not alone!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Husband thought I'd eventually be able to do it on my own without the video. Told him no way, I'm not coordinated & my memory is lousy.

I've been doing her videos since the 80's when they were VHS! lol...
I used to try Kathy Smith. OMG I could never keep up with her. I would get exhausted. WATP is perfect for people who can't do intense exercise. I noticed that she has made her dvd's harder and faster now but I try to go at my own pace if I get tired. I could never do it by myself either. I need the music beat and her changing the movements to keep me motivated. I'll probably walk outside today since its a lovely fall sunny morning. I'd rather walk outside if I can because its healthier. The sun and fresh air is important to health too.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappaOne
Typical week for me: weigh day officially Tuesday. Down three! Second weigh day, Wednesday: up two. Third weigh day, Saturday: down one. Total loss: Down one. I don't like to be a stranger to my body and now I can deal with the ups and downs without having a major depression. It's good to know I'm not alone!

My weigh in is on Sundays.. Since I've been weighing myself for many years...lol I found that the day I weigh the least is Sunday.. ( I don't get so discouraged) so tomorrow I'll see if my low carb is working...