Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 06:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I agree. Give it the full two weeks. It takes a while for your body to adjust to fat burning versus carb burning and induction also helps to break cravings.

However, if you are finding Atkins too restrictive, you might want to check out the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I think they start you out on 30 g of carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 13:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

While Atkins only allows 20g of carbs on induction, I've found it extreamly hard to get near that with veggies. You can subtract the fiber from the total carb count, so a cup of broccoli only ends up being around 1.5 g net carbs. If you get the 'lite' tofu, it is also very low in carbs, as is the soy based cheese I've found. My only problem is I have a hard time meeting my protien requirments, and I do eat some meats. I'm not a vegitarian, but I try to get the majority of my meals centered around veggies. I do eat lean meats and eggs, just no dairy. To keep my fat requirments up, I've discovered the use of various oils and soy lecithin. Avacados are also a wonderful source of natural fats, though I save them for occasional treats.

In his book Atkins states that a veggitarian can do Aktins, just not a vegan. I am tempted though to attempt at least 1 weeks worth of vegan recipes just to see if I can manage it.

Try finding Soy Slender, it's a soy milk sweetened with splenda that only has 1 Net carb, plenty of protien, and some fiber. It works great in recipes that call for cream. Cauliflower can be made to resemble and taste like rice or mashed potatos. Coconut milk has some carbs, but very few and can be used to make a great curry using meat or tofu. There are also Soy Protien shakes that have very trace amounts of carbs. You can't get 0 carbs on a veggie only diet, but it isn't that bad staying within the 20g carb to start, and after 2 weeks you can go ahead and start to raise that anyway
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 04:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 127/127/112
BF:
Progress:
Default Excellent advice!!

Thank you that was very helpful and may save me from quiting!
I have survived 1 week and 1 day now.
The tofu curry your styley sounds great, i will make it tonight!
One thing i'm not too sure about is: since day 4 i have found low carb bars at GNC health store (UK). I have been having 2 a day and last night had 3!!!! (time of the month!) So i think i may not loose any weight doing it this way,..but I'm addicted to the wow kinds high feeling i get after them, it helps me chill forget about food and relax : )
What do you reckon?
Thanks info much appreciated : )
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Speaking from experience, I'd be careful with the protein bars. They're great as a quick-fix when you're on the go but I'd try to avoid having more than one a day. They're still very high in calories which will end up having an impact if you eat too many.

I was speaking with a pharmacist the other day (who apparently worked at a health food store to put themselves through school) and she was telling me that some protein bars have 'hidden' sugars in them that aren't counted in the carbohydrate count. So apparently a bar that says it has 5g of carbs may actually have up to 20 g. Can anyone confirm that?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 02:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 127/127/112
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein bars do have 20g!

Yes, the ones i was having say 20g of carbs but only 3 net carbs for low carbers!!! So aparently they are fine for this diet but I don't think they are very healthy they are so so so!....artificial and i think i got addicted cause they do taste really sweet and gave me a buzz : ) I spent £40 on them in one week!!!!!
As from last night i have know quit the atkins after 11 days!!
I don't feel bad though. Cause now I realize that you can't survive or loose weight with low fat and not enough protein.
Now i will balance everything and in small amounts spread through the day.
I felt so good having a large bowl of rasberries and a pot of yogurt and mmm museli!! yum yum....(sorry guys!)
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:57

Plan: atkins, but vegetarian
Stats: 172/160/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Well, I am amazed but this is working for me at day 10, I have lost 7 pounds! I have had to modify induction a bit as I have inherited diverticulosis and I have to have 30g of fiber a day and refuse to take supplements, so I have been eating berries and almonds as a snack in moderation and I either have a piece of 100% whole wheat toast or a whole wheat tortilla. it has 16 carbs, but 14g of fiber so it's perfect. It is really weird to eat cheese and eggs regularly.

The most important thing I've been doing is exercising (walking) regularly again and watching everything I eat. I had no idea that my fruit popsicles had 48 carbs!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up

[I][IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Is it possible? Absolutely! Atkins is about the only plan that *isn't* vegetarian-friendly. Protein Power, the Zone, and others work nicely. In fact, there's a "Soy Zone" book available.

The main reason that Atkins won't work veggie style is that vegetarian protein sources (wheat gluten, soy) have a fair amount of carbs, so a higher allowance than 20 g daily is necessary.

I followed Protein Power and my protein staples were eggs, cheese and soy products such as Yves brand. You just have to read the labels of veggie products carefully, because some are surprisingly high in carbohydrates. Even different brands of tofu, for example, will have big differerences in carb count.

Not to nitpick, but just for the record, low carb diets are *not* high protein diets. *Adequate* protein and adequate fat would describe most of them more accurately.

Protein Power / Is this book for vegetarians/ do you remember the author , I would like to purchase it , the name has beem poping up a lot!!!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:31
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmango
[I][IMG]

Protein Power / Is this book for vegetarians/ do you remember the author , I would like to purchase it , the name has beem poping up a lot!!!
I am a pesco vegetarian, no red meat, poultry, or pork, some dairy and fish!!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:43
Registered Member

BF:

What are some low carb vegetables/ and also just berries are low carb. correct!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/vegetarian
Stats: 184/178/126 Female 1.57m
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question

[QUOTE=michelle8]I either have a piece of 100% whole wheat toast or a whole wheat tortilla. it has 16 carbs, but 14g of fiber so it's perfect.

Re: the above, I am going on holiday next week, I will have just finished my induction by a few days and am wondering about what I will be able to eat while away from home. I will be staying in a UK bed and breakfast which is giving us a "continental breakfast" (booked before I started the diet!!) and will have to eat out for the rest of the day...will not be able to store products to eat as snacks in the evening as I don't think the b/b would be pleased if I tried to fill their fridge with all my salad stuff...so what do u suggest please? I eat dairy products but I don't eat chicken or fish or any meat...I usually have quorn meat subs or the Linda McCartney range of meat sub foods. Is the calculation above correct re: whole meal toast? and would that be a correct formula to use for sandwiches or things offered to me in cafe's if cheap veggie meals without bread are not available? I do want to stick to the diet as much as possible while away, but I don't want to end up being hungry at night without my supply of Quorn slices/cheese to fall back on and end up eating hi carb snacks from the shop instead...

Michele
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 21:38

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

My boyfriend and I both did strict vegetarian Atkins induction (no nuts, no soy/tofu, no yogurt). Actually we were over the Atkins 20g a bit on some days because we felt like we needed more veggies. We were bored silly with eggs, and felt like we were going to turn into huge chunks of cheese, but we both lost weight.

Having read around a lot more since starting Atkins, I decided to switch us to Protein Power, which we're doing now. It's a bit easier to get lots of veggies in that way, and it doesn't totally rule out any foods.

Looking back, I'm glad we did a "clean" induction just so we could see what that was like, but if I had to to over, I'd do Protein Power from the beginning just because eating all that cheese/egg fat felt kind of yucky, and I hated depriving myself of salad (of all things)!

Now that we're on PP, we have tofu and soy sausages and soy yogurt and berries...it's wonderful. In fact, I've become a much better cook, and feel like I'm eating more treats than I ever have in my life, and still losing weight. Woohoo!

Good luck, and be sure to keep in touch with all the wonderful veggiepeople on this board!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/vegetarian
Stats: 184/178/126 Female 1.57m
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thank you Nicola, I will check out Protein Plus...I must find something that I can use when I go to a cafe/restaurant so that I'm not piling in the carbs...I know I can take mini cheeses and packets of nuts to my room in case of any hunger pangs, but it would be good to know I've managed to fill myself up during the day without breaking too many rules...

Michele
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 07:25
Registered Member

BF:

Another good book , that I like is Get Healthy Now by Gary Null, it has a lot of good info, about everthing, also a vegetarian plan, I Am also going to pick that Protein Plus ! Book Up, love to read !!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 05:12

Plan: vegetarian low carb
Stats: 172/167/140 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey
I'm a newbie to the forum but not to low-carbing. i've found that as a vegetarian it's not only possibe to low carb but also has made me much more aware of what i eat. before i was filling up on rice, bread and pasta and very little protein at all which was surely not good. Now I think about where I get protein from with every meal. I looked at atkins but didn't feel that it was possible for me (I was living in India at the time - nice to live in a country with 700 million other vegetarians!) I've moved to hong kong now and there are lots of tofu options - aargh trying to get to grips with draining it right so that it's not all soggy.
I read several different lc books and adapted them to veg. I use quite a few recipes from the soyZone. I haven't done Atkins induction (which has meant avoiding the horrible eggs and cheese only nightmare) but found that the weight loss was steady at 1-2lbs a week.
It's good hearing what other veggies think - has anyone tried that schwartzbein book?
Kim
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 10:56

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewestbou
If there is a vegetarian out there who has successfully lost weight on any low carb plan I'd love to hear from you and would gratfully receive any advice you may give.
Cheers then,
Lou (thewestbou)

I guess that would include me. Have a look at my website for lots of info on how I did it.