Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 11:05

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Does anyone have a dehydrator?

I am thinking about getting myself a late Christmas present but would love some opinions - do you own a dehydrator? what model/make? what do you use it for? are you happy you got it?

I don't want to spend much more than $100 but the idea of homemade beef jerky and kale chips is damned appealing.

thoughts? opinions?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 18:47
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

This is the one I was looking at when I was seriously thinking of getting one: http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR...25724348&sr=1-1

I never bit the bullet - I just figured it would never get used. I do my kale chips in the oven and I've done jerky in the oven too.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 09:10

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks! It never occurs to me to look on Amazon (even though they sell everrrrything) - I pay my own utilities so I'm trying to avoid running my stove for such a long time and using it to dehydrate foods.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 02:23

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Mine is one of the round ones with the plastic stackable tiers. I was lucky and found it at a thrift shop for two bucks but I think you can get something similar at walmart pretty cheap. I adore mine! I use it mainly to dry out veggies during growing season. I might try some jerky though!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always made kale chips in the over.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 11:14

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I knew I would use it for making jerky and bought one. It's still in the sealed box after three years.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 13:17
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

This 10 tray stainless Weston is the one I bought before the holidays. Christmas present to myself. But I only paid $180 (member price) for it and it was also marked down on special when I ordered mine. I wanted one with no plastic parts. Not much of a "manual" comes with it. Just basic usage information.

Have only used it twice so far for jerky (5-6 lb. sirloin didn't even fill 10 trays up!). Dried completely in 4 hours!! But smaller pieces fell through the grate as they shrank with drying. Sadly, this happens with most dehydrators, even the smaller one I used to own. I fixed some untreated aluminum window screen I hooked over the 10 trays for the second batch of jerky and that stopped that slippage issue. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...r.aspx?a=546362

Next time I tried cranberries in it but I didn't pre-cook the berries to pop the skins (just to see if you could do that) and after 20 hours they still weren't popped/dried! Interesting thing, they didn't explode either, however, like they might in a microwave without poking them with a fork. Next time I'll pre-pop the skins in boiling water (like you do for cranberry sauce) so the moisture can escape properly during dehydration. But that was not due to any failing on the part of the machine.

I used to have an Elite 5-plastic tray model I used the heck out of for about 3-4 years. Only problem is plastic and heat really don't work well together after long heat exposure. Just like plastic flower pots that are left out in the sun for years, the plastic trays will begin to have bits crack off in a couple years. Eventually, I knew I'd have to order all new trays or a whole new machine.