Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%
Default Just Venting

I am finding that there are so many LCers out there that have become so defensive about their eating and even more that have taken the my way or the highway attitude about food choices. It is almost worse than the crap that I put up with from the non LCers that don't understand this WOL. People can become so narrow minded and forget that different eating habits work for different people. That is wonderful that you have found something that works for you, but remember there are other healthy ways that work for many other individuals as well. Be happy that they have found something as well! AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.... STOP HATING ON THE WHOLE GRAINS, LOL!!!! If I wanna eat some oatmeal in the morning I am not a bad person! I am a healthy person who has been working hard at finding my WOE and stayin in shape. Ok, I'm done now! Keep up all the good work peeps and remember to stay open minded!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 14:03

Stats: 203.6/203.6/150 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think the key to this is not only being "open minded", which is key, It is breaking the mentality of this being a "diet" with a specific formula that you "make or break"
It is a Way Of Life. Who's life? YOUR life.
No two of us are EXACTLY the same, so each of us has to find a way we can improve OUR OWN health & weight.
So along the way, we ask advice & pointers from others who are trying to do the same thing. Not all of our "means" are the same. But we hope that our "end" is success.
Remember that putting your idea out there is just that... Your idea, Your method. And for all the people who have been kind & generous enough to do that... I THANK YOU!!! ALL of you!!!
I hate to think if we get defensive we shut down some valuable input!!! Open Minds folks... you don't have to implement... but information has been the key to my success thus far!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 14:08

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Yeah, what's wrong with you people?!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 15:59

Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:41%/33.2%/20
Progress: 75%

lol

I think whole grains rock if they are tolerated well and as close to their natural state as possible.
There are definately more grains out there than flour and rice....

Healthy eating long term is the goal, absolutely Pandora. Enjoy your oats and think of me when you do. I miss it and on the few times I have had it this WOL , I have definately stalled.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:15

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

I see this on every diet messageboard and I'm still out on which side I fall on. I've been a member of various messageboards in the past, and I was into raw foods big at one time, and there was always the mantra, "Raw is Law." They weren't very forgiving if you had a bad day either. I think some low-carbers are as psycho as some fruitarians when it comes to food purity to. I mean, heaven forbid if I still use splenda once in a while in my coffee, it doesn't mean I'm going to gain ten pounds and grow a brain tumor. But then, I'm not sure if I'm just being offended because I like splenda. I guess it's how the argument is being presented that's important. And Pandora, have fun with your whole grains! I'll have my genetically engineered fruit to dammit!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I agree. I have had my diet put down by so many on these boards I can not count. I do not push my way of eating on others and I find it ironic seeing people post about open mindedness and then putting down some peoples eating plan...

Some people eat high fat and it works. GREAT! Some people eat low fat and it works. GREAT! Some cut calories. AWESOME for them. Some go on a shake fast. That is their choice and if it works for them Hallelujah! I super reduce carbs and cycle with Meat and Eggs and a super strict clean induction and all with high fat. Guess what? IT WORKS FOR ME! My BG is stable for the first time in YEARS. I am super carb sensitive and know my body which is what part of this way of eating is for.

What I do works for me. I am healthy, full of energy and in my opinion eat very well.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My 2 cents? There are some very successful low-carbers on teh site who are happy to help, open-minded and generous of their time and effort. They try to understand the question asked, and answer to the best of their ability, even if it means they just admit they don't have all the answers and want to offer the person struggling some ideas on what worked for them in the past. They also seem to have a knack for leading a person to come up with their OWN answer.

Then, there are a few who just give a pat lecture on the evils of deviating from their interpretation of "The Plan" and scream "Look at ME!"...

It doesn't take long to sort out the difference between support and self-promotion, I guess.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 17:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
My 2 cents? There are some very successful low-carbers on teh site who are happy to help, open-minded and generous of their time and effort. They try to understand the question asked, and answer to the best of their ability, even if it means they just admit they don't have all the answers and want to offer the person struggling some ideas on what worked for them in the past. They also seem to have a knack for leading a person to come up with their OWN answer.

Then, there are a few who just give a pat lecture on the evils of deviating from their interpretation of "The Plan" and scream "Look at ME!"...

It doesn't take long to sort out the difference between support and self-promotion, I guess.

Wow agreed!!!! Overall I am so happy for all the support here. I know there have been days I have had ?s and was helped and I HOPE I have in turn helped others in their journey.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 17:20

Stats: 203.6/203.6/150 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I do know without these boards I would not be having the success I am. I know I can do this, I can succeed. And everyone here has contributed to this feeling!!!
I do pick up on the attitudes when folks feel they have "THE" answer, and even seen some trolls who attack us for PETA purposes.
Know what I do... find another thread!!! FOR ME... the war zone is negative and I don't go there to argue, just learn. Again... that's me!
Hanging in here with a HUGE smile, and thanking ALL of you again & again... & again!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:33

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I think it's fine that people can devise individual plans that work for them but it's the ones that constantly whine about not being able to have all the junk food they want that irritate me to no end. It's that "life owes me" attitude or something...."I want to eat 3 Atkins bars a day, 2500 calories, no veggies, have 3 cheat days a week and not exercise and I'd better lose 10 pounds a week or I'll complain and whine....blah blah blah".

If someone asks a question, I do try to answer them more in a direct (Atkins textbook) manner rather than what might work for me individually though or at least be certain and indicate 'this is what worked for me'. They will learn what does and doesn't work for them as they progress on the diet.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 18:46
Registered Member

Luzyanna those people grate on my nerves too.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 20:44
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

LOL... I usually stay away from this section of the forum... just because I do NOT think one size fits all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
They try to understand the question asked, and answer to the best of their ability, even if it means they just admit they don't have all the answers and want to offer the person struggling some ideas on what worked for them in the past. They also seem to have a knack for leading a person to come up with their OWN answer.
I think this is the best way to handle things... and I STRIVE to be that way.

Of course if you're not making progress... and you've crafted your OWN plan... then maybe it's time to CHOOSE one that has worked for a lot of people and stick with the rules and be patient with your loss.

I've seen sooooo many get frustrated because they want the weight off NOW although it took YEARS to put it on.

When something works well for you.. whether you're an ex-smoker, ex-addict, or a successful dieter... it's HARD not to glow so brightly that you burn the very posters you're trying to enlighten. In fact, those people can sometimes reach those that the tolerant supporters can't.

I think there is room for both... and room for tolerance too. What a boring world this would be if we were all the same.

Now.... can someone please explain to me what I just said?? It sure felt right while I was typing it!

Mike
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 21:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
can someone please explain to me what I just said?? It sure felt right while I was typing it!

That really cracked me up Mike!!

I cannot even comment here on how I am feeling about all this ranting. So I'll just say nothing except...Thanks Mods!! for helping to keep this a safe place.