Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 00:42

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Question GI slates low carb (surprise surprise) - advice please

I've been reading some GI books, because I'm trying to write a diet plan to introduce my sweet-toothed diabetic father in law to low carbing, and he needs a very gentle induction. (If I told him it was all banned he'd run a mile, and I'm hoping to gradually convince him).

Anyway in Brand-Miller's book there's a big table comparing her GI diet with low carbing. Of course low carbing is made to look bad, but there's two points not explained in the text that confuse me. One is that low carbing, to paraphrase, will make you thick, and the other is that it, to quote, "worsens glucose tolerance". Can anyone explain what the second thing means? And the first thing, well it just sounds silly to me, but it's an arguement I'd not heard before.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 08:17
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Makes you thick? I very much doubt eating certain foods can change the actual shape of your body. It can't remove fat from some areas and not from others to make certain areas thicker.

As for glucose tolerance, that's something that entered my head too. I've noticed that when I'm totally on plan for ages and I have something I would have eaten in my previous WOE, I get headspins and my body can't tolerate it the way it used to.

I figure it just means that if you're body is not exposed to blood glucose ups and downs, then it wont react properly when they do happen. Which is the same regardless which food property you omit. So if it's definitely for life, I wouldn't worry about it.

e
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 09:02

Plan: PP-Vegetarian; now SB veg
Stats: 143/130/115 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

maybe your f-i-l could figure out what he would miss the least & cut back on it. Slowly, one thing at a time, until the carbs are drastically lowered
Also check out www.mendosa.com - a good source of information for diabetics
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 16:53

Ah, the glucose tolerance thing. So that's why I got palpitations when I ate a chocolate bar!

And thick, well I meant mentally impaired, or stupid. I guess it must be an English-ism. Anyway, I read around a bit and got that part explained anyway.

Thanks.

And thanks for the mendosa site, it's very good!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 17:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The way I make diets acceptable to myself is by figuring out what good treats I can have on the diet. After that it is a cinch.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 20:39
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
And thick, well I meant mentally impaired, or stupid. I guess it must be an English-ism.

Ahhh, I guess people I know say "thick in the head" or "dense". Maybe we're a bit thick and need things explained

e
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 06:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/185/140 Female 5'3"
BF:Well-marbled
Progress: 18%

Isn't one of the arguments against low-carb that it 'starves the brain of fuel'? Maybe that's where she got the idea that it makes you thick.

Just thinking out loud.... cause I'm 'thick'
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-06, 07:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe62
Isn't one of the arguments against low-carb that it 'starves the brain of fuel'? Maybe that's where she got the idea that it makes you thick.

It is, indeed. I'm sure she is basing her argument that low carbing makes you 'thick' on the assertion that the brain needs a certain amount of glucose to function and when the body is in glucose-burning mode, that much is true. What she is neglecting to note, however, is that the majority of the brain can and does function just dandy using ketones in lieu of glucose and that small part that can only use glucose is easily supplied through gluconeogenesis so there really is no need whatsoever to ingest carbs or sugar to prevent your brain from dying or being damaged.

Quote:
the other is that it, to quote, "worsens glucose tolerance".

The assumption here is that this is a bad thing. The fact is that the human body was not designed to ingest large amounts of glucose in the first place and certainly not the high GI stuff so prevalent in our diets today, so I would say that rather than a 'reduced tolerance' for it, we are simply returning to our normal tolerance for it. Strangely enough, in previous attempts at quitting smoking, I found that abstinence from nicotine greatly reduced my tolerance for that substance, too, but I wouldn't use that as an argument against quitting.

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Jan-09-06 at 16:09.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 00:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
It is, indeed. I'm sure she is basing her argument that low carbing makes you 'thick' on the assertion that the brain needs a certain amount of glucose to function and when the body is in glucose-burning mode, that much is true. What she is neglecting to note, however, is that the majority of the brain can and does function just dandy using ketones in lieu of glucose and that small part that can only use glucose is easily supplied through gluconeogenesis so there really is no need whatsoever to ingest carbs or sugar to prevent your brain from dying or being damaged.

Lol, I was looking up hyperglycemia just now, and look what I found, from nearly 3 years ago. So it's double not true that low carbing is bad for the brain

High Blood Sugar Shrinks Brain

see also
http://www.med.nyu.edu/news_and_vie...003/memory.html
http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/Articles/memory030310.htm
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 04:26

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have to totally disagree with lc'ing making one slower mentally. I have a friend who is a diabetic.. shows marked loss of mental alertness when she eats high carbs. Mental clarity and energy are often two of the very things mentioned when people start lc'ing.. AFTER the initial detox to get rid of all the high carb induced sludge of course.