Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default Another magnesium question!

Does anyone have information (links, etc) providing a comparison of the bioavailability of the various magnesium compound supplements? I'm terribly confused right now and can find NOTHING solid on it.

I'm finishing up a bottle of Mg Glycinate w/ Calcium (400mg/135mg). I took one a day in the evening. I was very happy with it, but someone told me that the bioavailability of the Mg Glycinate is only 10%!!! So that means I was really taking 40mg of Mg a day??? WTH?

So today, I purchased Mg Citrate, after hearing it was more bioavailable. But then I hear it's the most effective for constipation, which I DO NOT need help with.

I have not opened the new package of citrate and I'm not going to until I get some SOLID info on this.

I am just very confused right now and some links would be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 18:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Elle, in this blog entry, Dr. Eades recommends any Magnesium that ends in 'ate' such as Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Aspartate.
Magnesium can have a laxative effect, so take the smallest dosage you can to start with and increase gradually if 'laxative effect' isn't what you need.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 22:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

For quite a while I have been using Peter Gilliam's Magnesium Citrate powder called CALM. It runs about $20 for 8 oz, but supposedly one of the best for absorption--it's in ionic form.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 10:37
Registered Member

Thanks. I think I finally figured it out. One thing I did read is that ALL the labels for Mg are required to tell you the amount of elemental Mg you're getting, but that you may have to "figure it out." My brand is just that kind.

I finally figured out that the Mg Glycinate provides 400 mg Mg in 4 tablets and the Mg Citrate provides 400 mg in 2 tablets.

I liked the fact that the glycinate had a little bit of Ca with it, which I understand is good. But I also would prefer to take 2 a day, like the citrate, instead of 4.

At least I know now I was getting 100mg of Mg a day, so yesterday I added another tablet and will work up to 400 mg from there, as my stomach tolerates it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 17:32

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Elle,
Personally I like Asporotate..and Malate for Fibromyalgia combined with Malic Acid

But, if you really dig down on minerals and check out the research, the form is not really the concern, it is the dosage that matters especially for calcium and magnesium.

Here is a no nonsense article by the governing body on Supplements..as you can see Mag Oxide, which happens to be the most concentrated and least expensive of all magensiums seems to be king of all magnesiums.

In my experience though not everyone absorbs it well..so I switch people to Asoprotate..but Magnesium Oxide powder is a great deoderant and it is dirt cheap..2lbs for like $14

As I continue to do this supplement thing, what really matters is getting enough of a dose of a compound with least amount of tablets for the best price..

And Mag Oxide seems to fit all of this.

Look alot of companies need to sell their new fangled forms of Magnesium or any other nutraceutical, so they market it as having better "solubility" and being more "bioactive".

The truth is alot of thee companies pay to have these "tests" done and are using methods generally not accepted by the scientific community.

So experiment with oxide before you have to pay more and take more, tablets of a more "bioavailable" magnesium

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih...s/magnesium.asp
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 18:52
Registered Member

Ok...here's another question:

Is it OK to take a dose of Mg at lunch and one at dinner, or is it better to take it all at once? I've been taking 2 doses of Mg. But my D3 and fish oil, I take all at once.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 08:50

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Sure, but remember Magnesium is a relaxant so it MAY make you a little sleepy.

But again, experiment with it. I love it before bed with zinc..

You are one of those who is very intune with their body..you'll notice any subtleties and come to your own conclusions
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 08:58
Needlehole

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Ok...here's another question:

Is it OK to take a dose of Mg at lunch and one at dinner, or is it better to take it all at once? I've been taking 2 doses of Mg. But my D3 and fish oil, I take all at once.

The very 1st time I took Magnesium supplements was just awful. I took 3 ( 250 Milligrams each) at once, and lets just say I'm glad I was close to the WC. Seriously, I thought I had the flu or something. That may be due to the fact I had never taken them previously. I now take them 2x per day, 2 with breakfast, 1 with lunch. I haven't noticed myself feeling any negative effects so far this way.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 10:16
Registered Member

Funny, I am not noticing any sedation or stomach or BM changes from 400mg elemental Mg from Mg Citrate a day. It doesn't seem to matter if I take it all at once or split.

Also, when I did 2 T of CO per day for 3 days, I didn't not notice insomnia (despite eating it at night) or increased energy (during the day) or stomach upset either.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 12:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I seem to recall the dose of the laxative forms of magnesium were close to 1000 or 1500 mg. I have been kind of bottled up myself lately and I bought some magnesium yesterday hoping to get things moving. I took 800 mg and I think I might have over done it. :\