Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 17:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Futurist, I am thoroughly annoyed by carborite cookies as well. Actually... more than annoyed. To sell a low carb product with THAT much trans fat in it shows a blatant disregard for the lc woe and the precepts that support it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 18:56

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Sometimes Carborite is so inovative (I think Atlast bars were possibly the first LC candy w/ erythritol and inulin) yet they have not fixed their major trans fat problem and they just keep putting out new products which I don't eat b/c most of them still have a huge amount of maltitol. The only thing I eat by them is their Mint Chocolate Atlast bars. Those are very good.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 20:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181.5/174/135 Female 64"
BF:off the charts!
Progress: 16%
Thumbs down

Whatever you do, don't ever try Ben and Jerry's low carb ice cream. It has got to be the most vile tasting piece of sh-- I have ever put in my mouth!
The rest of my family got the good stuff and I almost cried!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:25

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default good ice cream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryle
Whatever you do, don't ever try Ben and Jerry's low carb ice cream. It has got to be the most vile tasting piece of sh-- I have ever put in my mouth!
The rest of my family got the good stuff and I almost cried!

Have you tried the low carb Klondike chocolate covered ice cream bars? I think they are really good. But, haven't looked to see if there is bad ingredients. I cannot believe I forgot to (bad girl!) - probably because I was soooo desperate for an ice cream.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 17:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 326/244/135 Female 55
BF:
Progress:
Default Keto

Hello, I guess the products I would avoid and I do avoid are some foods made by Keto. I loved the Ketato. I have not tried their ready to drink milk either has anyone tried that? I heard that they are discontinueing their ice cream as well.

Has anyone tried any good sugar free cheesecake? I found a website that has one. I have tried their cookies and a few other of their products. They were created for diabetics in mind. www.diabeticfoodsource.com Has anyone tried any of their foods?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 16:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 180cm
BF:7%
Progress:
Default ben and jerry's carb karma vanilla almond ice cream

avoid B&J Carb Karma Swiss Vanilla Almond "frozen desert". tastes like flour
Breyer's vanilla much better.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 13:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I never thought I'd rant about a low-carb product, but the Stonyfield Farms Moove Over Carbs yogurt ended up in my trashcan. Most LC products are cloyingly sweet but this yogurt had no sweeteners in it and it needed it. At least the yogurt was free from my supermarket (now I know why).
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 23:29
Registered Member

Stats: 300/279/190 Male 6 foot 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Little help

OK I just came back to this way of eating after a few years...what is the thing with trans fats? I am sure I should have heard but I was otherwise distracted
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 23:21
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I refuse to give up my Mission LC tortillas, trans fats or not. I can't stomach most of the other brands out there and they make my life SO much easier. I love the fiber, too. (And I'd hate for them to use lard, because the vegetarian and kosher members of the family wouldn't be able to eat them anymore.)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 03:29

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Sorry you could not go for the lard. This other post I made helps explain why I recommended it:
"I have read some in the Hampton's Diet book and from the evidence I suspect MacNut Oil is extremely heathy and I ordered some for my mother, as I like to research and help design food, rather than actually prepare it.
I also wrote to them that they should create and sell MacNut oil Mayo and other dressings and such.
I also believe that olive oil*, avocado oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, pecan oil, high-oleic sunflower oil*, high-oleic safflower oil*, and even super canola oil due to their very high monounsaturated and decent, if not perfect omega ratios are healthful oils and should be used in foods according to their various smoke points.
I also find Enova very intriguing (http://www.enovaoil.com/) -- I am very pro-technology and specialty items.

In terms of saturated fats I think cocoa butter (1/3 stearic acid, 1/3 monounsaturated fat) and non-hydrogenated lard (45% monounsaturated) are probably best and I hate it when I see hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils in low carb foods and I often email companies to complain about this."
*these are best used for salad dressings and baking below 300 F.

Most companies won't use high quality monunsaturated oils because of the expense. I really like Carb Watchers tortillas by Labrada (I tried the Sun Dried tomato version), but they use soy oil which is not the best as it is mostly polyunsaturated.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 18:13

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up love these oils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist
"I also believe that olive oil*, avocado oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, pecan oil, high-oleic sunflower oil*, high-oleic safflower oil*, and even super canola oil due to their very high monounsaturated and decent, if not perfect omega ratios are healthful oils and should be used in foods according to their various smoke points."

I like to experiment with different oils too. I found a chart of oil properties and life has been fun since then. Before I used just olive oil all the time.

"I also find Enova very intriguing (http://www.enovaoil.com/) -- I am very pro-technology and specialty items."

I'm going to this site right now. Thanks for the tip. "specialty" is my middle name.

"In terms of saturated fats I think cocoa butter (1/3 stearic acid, 1/3 monounsaturated fat) and non-hydrogenated lard (45% monounsaturated) are probably best "

I have cocoa butter but let someone convince me it was bad, even though the numbers say it is good. It's good to be reminded why I bought it and it is time to get it off my shelf!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 06:08

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloveman
I refuse to give up my Mission LC tortillas, trans fats or not. I can't stomach most of the other brands out there and they make my life SO much easier. I love the fiber, too. (And I'd hate for them to use lard, because the vegetarian and kosher members of the family wouldn't be able to eat them anymore.)

I dont think those tortillas are worth your life are they? There are plenty other low carb tortillas that are better than the mission and have no trasnfats in them. Try these for example:

http://www.netrition.com/tumaros_tortillas_page.html

very very good, and no transfats.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 08:09

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
I dont think those tortillas are worth your life are they? There are plenty other low carb tortillas that are better than the mission and have no trasnfats in them. Try these for example:

Hi - In terms of texture and "wrappability" what are the tumaros like? One of the problems I have with some of the wraps is that they are kind of dry. We did like the mission for their texture, but are mindful of the whole transfat issue. So, for example, we did not like the la tortilla factory brand. Anything you can tell me about the texture would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:28

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie
Hi - In terms of texture and "wrappability" what are the tumaros like? One of the problems I have with some of the wraps is that they are kind of dry. We did like the mission for their texture, but are mindful of the whole transfat issue. So, for example, we did not like the la tortilla factory brand. Anything you can tell me about the texture would be appreciated.

Thanks,

hey are very good, they usually hold up pretty well. If you put something in it thats really juicy it will start to fall apart.. but they are good if you eat them quickly.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 00:14
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker

Worth my life? No. But do I really think a few tortillas a week are going to kill me? No, not really. We all make choices and no one is perfect in everything they do. I make a whole lot of healthy choices in my life (I've never smoked, I don't drink to speak of, I always wear my seat belt, I exercise every day, etc.). I'm willing to let this one thing slide.