Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 19:43

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default Chicken-Walnut Casserole

This idea came to me in a flash of inspiration. It's cooking even as I type, and WOW does it smell good!

I entered the whole thing into Master Cook for a nutritional analysis, which I'll include at the end.

Ingredients:
1 pound cooked, cut-up chicken (I used breast meat)
1 pound (1 bag) frozen broccoli cuts
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup EACH sour cream and heavy cream
1 cup walnuts (pieces, chopped, your choice)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp tarragon leaves

Lightly butter an 11x7 casserole dish. Layer the broccoli, chicken, and cheese, making sure the latter two are evenly distributed. Combine the creams and seasonings, and pour over the layers, again taking care to pour evenly. Sprinkle the walnuts over everything, again (you guessed it) being sure to distribute them evenly.

Cover with foil (or the casserole lid if it has one) and bake for 45 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Then remove the cover and bake for another 15-25 minutes, or until most of the liquid is gone.

Serves 6.

Analysis:
Calories: 433/serving
Fat (grams): 38
Carbs (grams): 7 [fiber: 2g]
Protein (grams): 18

Percentage of calories from fat: 77.2
Percentage of calories from carbs: 6.2
Percentage of calories from protein: 16.6
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 19:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thank you for posting this -- it looks wonderful, and I've been looking for a few one-dish meals with vegetables. So this is perfect

(Since I don't cook, I'm so happy to have found a "family" where there are so many good cooks. I'll steal from you all!!!)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 14:14

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up Yummy!!!!

Sounds delicious and perfect for cold weather here in Illinois.

Thanks for sharing!!

What is Master Cook? Please advise.

A Thin Me.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 17:46

Default Master Cook

MasterCook is a wonderful software program from SierraOnline in conjunction with Betty Crocker. It contains a number of recipes, divided into various "cookbooks" and categories, and it also allows you to input your own creations (or recipes from other sources) and do neat things with them, such as get a nutritional analysis (like I did for this one) or scale them up or down (which I have done with medieval recipes, when planning to serve 300+ people--with a recipe that might serve four or six).

I don't use it terribly often, but I suspect I'll become more proficient with it now that I'm committed to this WOL. It's far simpler for me to type in the ingredients and click on an icon to get an analysis, than to sit down with a calculator, pencil, and paper.

Sorry to say, I can't tell you how much it costs: I got my copy as a gift from a fellow medieval-re-creationist cook.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 19:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Question which version?

have ya got?

MasterCook is up to Version 6 in the computer software store... which comes with a ton of 'cookbooks' but not Betty Crocker's. I'm guessing you have Version 5 DeLuxe.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 20:06

Thumbs up V5 Deluxe it is

You'd be guessing right!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 02:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Question speaking of medieval recreationists....

... which we weren't but... what the heck.

I have a fascination with period history AND with cookery, and was wondering if you had any favourite Middle Ages LC Recipes to share? Preferably in MC format ?

I've worked out a very very few myself, but I'm only incidentally (through my passing interest) involved in period pieces...

Wanna trade? Add them to the LowCarb Kitchen collection?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 20:06

Default Medieval Recipes a la LowCarb

I can claim only partial success thus far with redacting *any* of the medieval recipes I've made, mainly because they rely heavily on breadcrumbs (fresh and/or dried) for thickening agents. It's pretty tough to get the same texture without them.

The only recipe I've fiddled with and gotten anything worth repeating is a potage from meat. It's basically a beef stew thickened with eggs and Parmesan cheese (I left out the breadcrumbs, added more eggs and cheese, and used stronger stock for the broth to--pardon the pun--beef up the taste). I have it somewhere in my MC cookbooks; I'll hunt it down and post it when I get a chance.

In defense of this beef stew: The last time I made it (which was the *first* time I tried the LC version), it was in quantity to serve 150 people. We had NONE left over at the end of lunch that day. I did post a small notice that it was "low-carb friendly," because I knew for a fact there were at least three other Atkins-folk at the event with me. That didn't seem to stop anyone *else* from trying it!

If I fiddle with any other period recipes and find that they're still edible, I'll post them on the Recipe forum, clearly marked as such. Not everyone's into the tastes of Renaissance Europe.