Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 06:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Boxing up the "FAT" clothes, any of you do that??

Now the hard part begins -- keeping this weight off!! Did any of you ever do this? This is the stupidest thing I ever did -- didn't realize I was doing it until this time around:

When I'd lose weight in the past, I'd take my "FAT" clothes and box them up -- then it hit me, Holy HANNAH, I was giving myself PERMISSION to go back to "FAT Jo". But not this time, every time I went down a size, I donated the bigger size to a charity thrift store.. I have nothing (boxed or other-wise) that isn't the size I am currently wearing.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 06:54

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

I don't know.
When I lost weight before I kept my fat clothes for years because I was scared that without them to remind me I'd gain again.

It's the same this time. My biggest pair is quite loose, but the thought of throwing it away just really terrifies me.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 07:17
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Wow, really? I just felt if I kept them this time around, then I was dooming myself to failure. Like I didn't have enough faith in myself to keep the weight off.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 07:30
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I spent some time going thru my clothes yesterday, and packed up a couple of bags of "fat" clothes to donate. Spring cleaning.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 09:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

Nope ..I was always give them to charity...so it ALWAYS costs me BIGTIME when I gain.... what I did weird last time is I dumped all my sz 4's saying to myself...well Ill never get that low again..I am soooo kicking myself...now to stay here...it will take work and focus...I want to donate clothes because they've gone out of style...or because I replaced them with new sz 4s..not because Ive gained
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 11:10

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

We have good and inexpensive tailors here, so I've had many of my clothes taken in. Skirts, trousers, shorts...my husband suggested I save one pair to remind me, good idea for me because otherwise I could start paying mindgames with myself, doubting how much I've lost.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 13:51

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I need to do this... I pulled a bunch of clothes out of the closet that don't fit anymore, but didn't even get to the boxing up part. I was folding laundry yesterday, and came to the pants that I have been wearing lately but are already much too baggy - and realized just how big they are. Need to get rid of them too!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 15:45
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee
I spent some time going thru my clothes yesterday, and packed up a couple of bags of "fat" clothes to donate. Spring cleaning.

Wonderful feeling isn't it to Spring clean our "fat" clothes!!

#9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 15:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbedd
Nope ..I was always give them to charity...so it ALWAYS costs me BIGTIME when I gain.... what I did weird last time is I dumped all my sz 4's saying to myself...well Ill never get that low again..I am soooo kicking myself...now to stay here...it will take work and focus...I want to donate clothes because they've gone out of style...or because I replaced them with new sz 4s..not because Ive gained

I figured the financial cost of replacing the "FAT" clothes would be another negative factor to regaining -- NOT that I plan to do that -- it's so not worth it!!

#10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 15:51
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
We have good and inexpensive tailors here, so I've had many of my clothes taken in. Skirts, trousers, shorts...my husband suggested I save one pair to remind me, good idea for me because otherwise I could start paying mindgames with myself, doubting how much I've lost.

Wish we had inexpensive tailors here!

There's only so much alteration one can do (try taking in a size 4XL to a size med or 8). I know, I'm a sewing teacher, you basically have to take the entire garment apart and use the pieces to redesign a new blouse or pants. Soooo NOT worth my time!!!

Holy Hannah, your husband had an awesome IDEA, I didn't keep a pair of "FAT" Jo pants

#11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 15:52
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatt
I need to do this... I pulled a bunch of clothes out of the closet that don't fit anymore, but didn't even get to the boxing up part. I was folding laundry yesterday, and came to the pants that I have been wearing lately but are already much too baggy - and realized just how big they are. Need to get rid of them too!

That's what this WOE is all about, not only do the scales show us but also our clothes!! Congrats on having to get rid of your freshly laundered pants!!

#12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 16:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I give away anything that is too baggy when I try to wear it. And I do it right away so there are no second thought. If I were to gain weight I'd have nothing to wear but my nightgown!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 02:26

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Now the hard part begins -- keeping this weight off!! Did any of you ever do this? This is the stupidest thing I ever did -- didn't realize I was doing it until this time around:

When I'd lose weight in the past, I'd take my "FAT" clothes and box them up -- then it hit me, Holy HANNAH, I was giving myself PERMISSION to go back to "FAT Jo". But not this time, every time I went down a size, I donated the bigger size to a charity thrift store.. I have nothing (boxed or other-wise) that isn't the size I am currently wearing.

So far, I'm not brave enough to do this.

I've finally pulled the fat clothes out of my closet - they were all mixed in with smaller clothes for a few months, but when I pulled out my summer stuff I piled them up. But I haven't even reconciled myself to putting them in a box in the basement yet, let alone giving them away.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has lost before, and regained. I have a very different mindset now than in the past -- all my focus is on staying attentive to my weight long-term, and letting the scale take the time it needs to settle at whatever weight that will be, but still, just chucking all the fat clothes feels too drastic. I did that in the past and then rebuilt a fat wardrobe.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of sealing up boxes and putting a date 5 years out - and in 5 years when I'm more confident of my ability to maintain my loss I can get rid of them.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 03:27
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
So far, I'm not brave enough to do this.

I've finally pulled the fat clothes out of my closet - they were all mixed in with smaller clothes for a few months, but when I pulled out my summer stuff I piled them up. But I haven't even reconciled myself to putting them in a box in the basement yet, let alone giving them away.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has lost before, and regained. I have a very different mindset now than in the past -- all my focus is on staying attentive to my weight long-term, and letting the scale take the time it needs to settle at whatever weight that will be, but still, just chucking all the fat clothes feels too drastic. I did that in the past and then rebuilt a fat wardrobe.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of sealing up boxes and putting a date 5 years out - and in 5 years when I'm more confident of my ability to maintain my loss I can get rid of them.

Lost/gain weight my entire life...I understand completely where you are coming from, ParisMama. My mindset is different this time around as well -- hence getting rid of all my "FAT" clothes. Einstein said (and I'm paraphrasing poorly too): "Stupidity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different outcome." I figured that since in the past, I'd have kept my "FAT" clothes, this time -- out they go!! I refuse to regain and I will not have need for those "FAT" clothes ever again!

#15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have been giving my "too big" clothes away for the very reasons Jo gave. I don't want to ease back into them. I do have a SIL who says I shouldn't but I like the idea of extra motivation.

As Mama Sebo said, I did keep one pair of jeans and pinned a note on them - "These were tight!" along with the date of starting Low carb eating. I pull them out now and then to remind myself of how far I've come.