Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 16:53
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy red blotchy face

Since Sunday I've had a red blotchy face and I'm starting to get worried. Usually my face is quite clear especially on Atkins. But lately every so often I get blotchy red skin, and this last batch has been with me for almost a week. My face feels like leather and is alittle flaky. I'm not eating my allergy foods, so either its a new allergy which I doubt since I was recently tested, or something else. Does anyone know what it could be? Should I see my doctor? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:39
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy I'm still with a red face

Its been quite awhile and my face is driving me crazy!
Its red and blotchy with sometimes flaking skin. I just can't figure it out. It seems dry but moisturizers don't work (I use ones I'm not sensitive too). The cold seems to aggrivate it, so does indoor heating. Anybody with any ideas, what this is?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:54

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Don't know, but...

Hi Lessara,

I had similar symptoms once and decided it was a reaction to one of the medicines I was taking from me being out in the sunshine.
I read one of the warning labels and it cautioned that taking it could make my more sensitive to sunlight. Check the labels of everything you might be taking.

I have also put some cortisone cream on red patches and it seemed to help them go away. But I don't want to be accused of practicing medicine without a license!!

You may be experiencing any number of things (psoriasis, excema, fungus, jungle rot, etc.). It might be worth calling the dr. and asking about.

hth,
Pokey One
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/227/149
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Lessara,
Is it possible that you may have rosacea? Not sure how low carbs could affect it but I have rosacea and my symptoms sound a lot like yours. A dermatologist could tell you - also there is a rosacea web site with pretty good info . I use a produt to control the redness called Metrogel which really helps.
Best wishes ,Anne
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 08:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default red face

I, too, have rosacea which causes a red, blotchy,dry, itchy face. You need to check with a dermatologist.
One very important thing, DO NOT use cortisone cream on your face. Yes, it gives almost instant relief from redness and itchiness but is very bad for your skin in the long run. It causes a permanent thinning of your skin.
Almost every cream and lotion on the market these days can cause problems for some people. They have so many unnecessary ingredients like alpha hydroxy, scents, "natural" plant oils, etc. Try basic vaseline or olive oil until you track down your problem. Use just a dab of vaseline or a few drops of oil, rub between your hands, and then pat on your face.
Last winter, I had a fine, red, dry rash all over my face after starting Atkins. I think it may have been from eating too much red meat and eggs. I added fish oil to my diet and tried to eat more chicken and less beef. For whatever reason, it finally went away.
Hope you can track down and correct your problem.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 09:05
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I would go to the doctor and find out exactly what it is. Every time I try to diagnose myself I get it wrong. My doctor thinks that is funny!

Please, go and see what it is-could be anything!