Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 11:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%
Default The Great Debate: T. Colin Campbell's Amazon review of New Atkins for a New You

Some of you may already be aware of this internet phenomenon. In March of 2010, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, researcher and author of the infamous book The China Study, which is looked upon as the holy grail by many in the vegan/vegetarian/WPBD community, wrote a long 1-star review titled "Imaginary Science" of the Atkins book New Atkins for a New You. You can see it here:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Atkins-Yo...erBy=addOneStar

What is somewhat amazing to me is that the comments for this review have been ongoing ever since, now reaching close to 1600. The initial comments were mainly from Campbell minions who were summoned to the review by their master from his website and who predictably contributed only hot air, inane platitudes of Campbell, and misinformation, notably about the cause of Atkin's death but also on a lot of other factual information related to low carb diets.

Recently the comments have primarily been fueled by another infamous Amazon reviewer named D.M. and the copy-and-paste rantings of a certifiable vegan nutjob named William J. Kleinbauer. Yet periodically even Campbell himself will enter the fray although apparently not as a passionless objective observer as his last post as well as a few others was deleted by Amazon. He is particularly chaffed by any criticism of his book or discussion of the Chris Masterjohn/Denise Minger blog entries which ripped apart his study. It turns out The China Study is apparently not so much an actual study as it is a work of vegan propaganda.

Read the comments here if you dare:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2W7KW...#wasThisHelpful
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:21

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Yeah, I've seen that train wreck of a thread. IIRC Richard Nikoley of Free the Animal jumped in a while back and things got very entertaining.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Yeah, I've seen that train wreck of a thread. IIRC Richard Nikoley of Free the Animal jumped in a while back and things got very entertaining.

I'm sure it was as I believe Richard's blog was one of the first to publicize Minger's criticisms of the China Study and helped spread the word about her work. There is probably no love lost between him and T. Colin.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 07:31

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Denise herself even put in an appearance for a little while and tore up some of DM's arguments. Someone (not saying who, cough cough!) apparently told her that TCC was in there making outrageous statements. We didnt hear from him for quite a while after that... he seems to avoid her like the plague, haha.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
Denise herself even put in an appearance for a little while and tore up some of DM's arguments. Someone (not saying who, cough cough!) apparently told her that TCC was in there making outrageous statements. We didnt hear from him for quite a while after that... he seems to avoid her like the plague, haha.

LOL, as well he should. For a lot of people, myself included, she has illustrated quite clearly and convincingly what a propaganda machine TCC actually is.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 11:58

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I tried reading it, but the self-righteous attitude of so many of the commenters quickly became sickening. Best example:

Quote:
In my opinion, all of the low carbohydrate, high protein diets support only one thing, the lowest common denominator of human behavior. In other words, people like good news about bad habits.

Yeah, because giving up bread, cake, cookies, chips, fries, soda, pizza, pasta and candy bars is just the refuge of greedy and lazy people who would rather keep their bad habits than find health.

Disgusting.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 18:22

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

#8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-12, 09:27

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 248/236/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

This is entertaining reading for a long afternoon! Thank you!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 14:55

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Sure is entertaining, even though the vegan posts raise my BP. Has anyone else noticed a lot of the pro-TCC posts are collapsed (ha!) But does anyone else find it annoying? It makes it much harder to follow the conversation.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Sure is entertaining, even though the vegan posts raise my BP. Has anyone else noticed a lot of the pro-TCC posts are collapsed (ha!) But does anyone else find it annoying? It makes it much harder to follow the conversation.

They are collapsed because they've been voted as being not helpful by the readers. It appears to take 7 not helpful votes to close a post. Believe me, you aren't missing anything at all, but if you think you are you can show unhelpful posts for an entire page. But you aren't.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 06:54

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

LOL. Just saw this thread. I wrote the top 5 star review of the Atkins book on Amazon. It was in response to TTC's original attack review. He is not only colossally inaccurate but pathetic as well.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-12, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjfree
LOL. Just saw this thread. I wrote the top 5 star review of the Atkins book on Amazon. It was in response to TTC's original attack review. He is not only colossally inaccurate but pathetic as well.

Well done, yours is a very well-written review.

Since I first wrote this thread about eight months ago the number of responses to Campbell's review has doubled from 1600 to 3200. Most have been from wonky Willie Kleinblowhole, a vegan cut-and-paste propagandist, but old Confirmation Bias Campbell has weighed in several times himself. There are about ten low-carb or paleo people who actively respond and likely many more who are reading and lurking. It is amusing to see the plant-heads get all worked up and froth at the mouth but they deserve it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-12, 06:49

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

My theory is that these people think that if they repeat their fallacies enough times, they will become true. I followed CW and tried vegan as well and I got fatter. Eating high fat, low carb has help me lose nearly 70 lbs that I battled for years. I am also far healthier. Thus my experience tells me that they are dead wrong and that the cherry picked data in the China Study is just so much BS.