Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/Kiss
Stats: 160/120/110
BF:
Progress: 80%
Question LBM and Protein

Most lean body mass calculators give me a count of about 89-90 lbs. Moderate activity(PP) is 0 .6, puts me in the 60g protein category.

I went to The Zone webpage :
http://www.enterthezone.com/Site/co...lator_Women.asp

got a LBM of 89, and a protein requirement of 77 grams. I have an 11 Zone Block requirement which explains the 77g.

Why is there such a difference in Protein requirements? Is this because of this 40% carbs, 30% protein, ratio? 17g is another 3 eggs a day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 19:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Protein Requirements

The mimimum protein requirement for a young woman is 60g a day; using LBM and .6g (moderate described as: Someone who exercises 20-30 minutes two or three times per week) you would have a protein requirement of 54g. It would be better to have more protein rather than less in this case. Any number generated from a calculator will be dependent upon the formula being used; the higher number from the Zone program will reflect that.

I would strongly suggest not going below 60g a day; your body can always break the extra protein down and turn it into glucose for various uses and release it slowly w/o effecting insulin.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 07:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Natrushka. I was concerned about not getting enough protein, i was wondering if I should up my protein intake since going over doesn't harm

I regard 20g protein as my minimum meal portion, it would have meant adding another meal-portion of protein to my day, and making sure of getting about 80g protein daily.

I prefer to be slightly over on protein requirement, rather than under.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 07:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by zellie
Thanks Natrushka. I was concerned about not getting enough protein, i was wondering if I should up my protein intake since going over doesn't harm

You were right, Zellie. More is better. You might also benefit from more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day; it would keep blood sugar stablized and your raise your metabolism.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:

LOL! I'm a nibbler! I find meals difficult, since childhood I haven't been able to do breakfast. I break down my daily food intake into nibbles, and eat breakfast and lunch from early in the day until about 4pm. Later I have my supper which is not a huge meal.
I might start the day with a little tub of s/f jello to force myself to start eating early in the day. I might leave the eggs for supper, and have fish, chicken for breakfast and lunch.
I must ensure adequate nutrition if I do things this way.

Last edited by zellie : Thu, Dec-27-01 at 08:33.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 08:25

BF:

Zellie, sounds like you've found a WOE that works for you then. I love having breakfast for dinner, it feels quite decadent (specially when its pancakes!)

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 08:59
Registered Member

BF:

At last low carb is the only way for me. I was hooked on the pyramid mindset, (doesn't work for me), resulted in periods of binges and starvation, and lots of junk food when binging.
Didn't do any sugar or fat, and I was gaining weight!

I'm a happy high-protein, low-carb trooper
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Default Are you eating enough?

Dear Zellie,

Let's play fun with math:

If you are eating 60 grams of protein and, since you don't have too far to go to reach your goal, 60 grams of carbs, that is 480 calories (120x4=480). At your weight and activity level, you probably need at least 1200 calorires a day to stay healthy. That leaves you with a 720 calories gap (1200-480=720). If those calories are from protein or carbs, they must be from fat--so that's 80 grams of fat (720/9=80). If you are a recovering Food Pyramid Aholic, I'd be suprised if you were really eating that many fat grams.

Something doesn't add up. Either you are eating REALLY low calories, well under 1,000 (and that's not healthy for anyone over 90 pounds), or you may not be accurately gauging or recording what you are eating. Either that or I'm missing something.