Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/GI
Stats: 235/212.7/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I rarely eat out anymore -- can't remember when I had fast food -- but when I do eat out, it's very easy to find acceptable meals. I routinely get together once a month with friends for breakfast, and we found that most restaurants had the usual egg dishes but nearly always with a side of bread and potatoes. We finally found a local restaurant that also offers fresh fruit, so I'll order an omelette and fresh fruit. Yum!

I have come to finally realize and accept that I have a problem following a restrictive plan for any length of time, so I've morphed from lower carb to an easy combination of Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet and Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique (new version of former Core). What this means is I, for the most part, stay away from white things (flour, sugar, and usually potatoes although occasionally I'll have a small portion of potatoes without guilt) and processed foods. There's lots of flexibility, and I find I'm satisfied with eating less.

judynyc, how inspiring what you've lost and that you've been able to maintain the loss. You're a role model!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 09:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareli
I rarely eat out anymore -- can't remember when I had fast food -- but when I do eat out, it's very easy to find acceptable meals. I routinely get together once a month with friends for breakfast, and we found that most restaurants had the usual egg dishes but nearly always with a side of bread and potatoes. We finally found a local restaurant that also offers fresh fruit, so I'll order an omelette and fresh fruit. Yum!

I have come to finally realize and accept that I have a problem following a restrictive plan for any length of time, so I've morphed from lower carb to an easy combination of Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet and Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique (new version of former Core). What this means is I, for the most part, stay away from white things (flour, sugar, and usually potatoes although occasionally I'll have a small portion of potatoes without guilt) and processed foods. There's lots of flexibility, and I find I'm satisfied with eating less.

judynyc, how inspiring what you've lost and that you've been able to maintain the loss. You're a role model!

Thanks!
I think that the key to long term maintenance is to find a way to eat that you are truly satisifed with and will stick to. I too, had to eliminate white flour foods from my food plan. They are truly evil for me. And yet, once in while I will have a bite or two but thats it!
I don't have much trouble having a bit of sugar once in a while...but white flour! uhoh!!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 10:16

Plan: Dr Stillman
Stats: 127/126/114 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean1183
I recently went back to low-carbing and have lost 27 pounds since the beginning of the summer. This time, I haven't counted my carbs. I just try to avoid them as much as possible. If something is "white" or processed, I ~try~ to not eat it. For instance, I will get a burger and just take it off the bun but may eat a few fries or chips with it.

Is there anyone else who is doing this?

Oh....I also started walking 3 to 6 miles a day and have only missed a few days.

Yes I do but need to start exercise
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 06:12
Registered Member

BF:

Need to exercise? Get a dog and walk it. Once the dog becomes accustomed to a daily walk, he/she won't leave you alone until you've taken him/her for a walk. I speak from experience. I have two older rescue dogs, and they follow me around, looking at me expectantly until they get their walk. Frankly, they drive me nuts until I can't stand it anymore and finally get their leashes. They truly are people observers: if I put jeans on, they expect it's walk time. Chapstick is the final and most certain clue that it's time for a walk. I often don't want to walk them, preferring to be lazy or do other things, but I always feel better after our walk and I thank them for making me do it.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 06:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Need to exercise? Get a dog and walk it. Once the dog becomes accustomed to a daily walk, he/she won't leave you alone until you've taken him/her for a walk. I speak from experience. I have two older rescue dogs, and they follow me around, looking at me expectantly until they get their walk. Frankly, they drive me nuts until I can't stand it anymore and finally get their leashes. They truly are people observers: if I put jeans on, they expect it's walk time. Chapstick is the final and most certain clue that it's time for a walk. I often don't want to walk them, preferring to be lazy or do other things, but I always feel better after our walk and I thank them for making me do it.

WOW! I must have the mate to your dogs. He has his day all planned out before we get up. We had our first walk at 6am. He is now sleeping! After lunch, he goes to the park whether you like it or not. Then before bedtime ... another walk. He can also tell when I am going out by my actions, and if he can't go, he pouts. I will say that I had a knee replacement a year ago, and credit my dog with getting in my exercises. We walked rain, sleet or snow, and now I don't even have a limp. Thans pup!!
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 13:02

Plan: 2 daily LC meals mostly
Stats: 198/000/149 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 404%

I guess it comes down with finding the best plan to work for us individually. I think it most cases it takes a long time to find something that clicks! For example, I've always read that 3 meals a day is the healthiest way to go. Well, 3 meals a day cause cravings for me, opening up a whole Pandora's box of problems. But for many people this is a lifestyle, very understandable. It may take awhile, like it did for me, but sooner or later most of us can find a WOE that not only satisfies us but also helps us maintain our weight loss.

Now I have to find a way to add some exercise to my lifestyle. I need to clear out a spare room and add a treadmill and a small tv- that will definitely encourage me to exercise on a regular basis.

And last but not least by any means, I've got to get back to losing the rest of my 25 pounds. Wow! I will be soooo happy when I reach that goal!

SeaLady
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-11, 06:10
Registered Member

BF:

I had my first knee replacement in April, and my dogs have been very, uh, encouraging -- okay, demanding! -- to me to walk, but I suspect their motives weren't necessarily for my benefit. I've found what has helped the recovery the most is regular exercise on my recumbent bike (very good and gentle on aging joints) and modified squats for my quads before I go to bed at night. Eating better also helps overall, and there's no doubt that shedding some of these extra pounds will help a lot. My second knee probably should be replaced too, but it doesn't bother me anymore, probably due to the more consistent exercise. BTY, I'll be 67 in a couple of weeks: the "hardware" is wearing out, but the "software" seems to be okay, except for rare senior moments.

The food pyramid drives me nuts! It's a one size fits all, and as most of us know, we are all so different. For me, the food pyramid is upside down. It's enlightening to learn the history of the food pyramid, which does a good job of debunking it. Okay, I've had my rant now.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 15:43

Plan: Dr Stillman
Stats: 127/126/114 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

I would get a Dog but my Cats would hate me
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-11, 17:09

Stats: 260/194/185 Female 5'8"
BF:too much :-(
Progress: 88%

At the beginning I counted everything - I had a nice little iPhone app that helped me track. That lasted for a couple of months. It was through that process I learned what I can and can not have. I no longer count anymore but I am 100% aware of what I am eating. It's become a way of life.

I don't count any low carb veggie carbs - I figure you need veggies and that's just the way it is. I don't count cheese or cream either. I know what my normal tolerated consumption is. What I do count is anything that is out of the norm. That special piece of low carb cheesecake, low carb bread and wraps, nuts, macaroons etc. It obviously works.

Now, about the cheating. I agree with a previous poster that sometimes the anticipation is actually better than the consumption! I promised myself fish and chips for my birthday, hoovered them down, and then said "I would have liked a salad". ROFL! Funny how thing change.

I am not finding any of this difficult anymore, and although our Thanksgiving is finished, there is still Christmas to deal with. I used to do a pile of baking - what for? For one day and then leftovers for months? No more! I will make a couple of LC things and that's all. My DS and his wife will not be here for Christmas dinner (Again - I think that's 9 years running- apparently, only her family counts) so I don't have to worry about him saying "where's X".

I've said enough!
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-11, 13:36

BF:

WeimieMom.

It looks like you have your eating plan down pat. That's great, and I also know how to eat not to gain weight anymore. I've always been a foodie, but since I space myself in eating- no more snacking or grazing- I even enjoy food more!

I'm so sorry to hear that your DS and his wife have not been spending Christmas at your house for 9 years. I know how this must hurt, and my heart goes out to you. I'm sure they know that the door is open- just continue to let your son know that he and wife are welcome and that you miss him very much. Maybe something will click with him at some point. He should realize that this is very hurtful and can easily be remedied.

SeaLady
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 08:02

Stats: 260/194/185 Female 5'8"
BF:too much :-(
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLady
WeimieMom.

I'm so sorry to hear that your DS and his wife have not been spending Christmas at your house for 9 years. I know how this must hurt, and my heart goes out to you. I'm sure they know that the door is open- just continue to let your son know that he and wife are welcome and that you miss him very much. Maybe something will click with him at some point. He should realize that this is very hurtful and can easily be remedied.

SeaLady

You would think it's easy, but it's not. DIL is inflexible and selfish. It's sad, because there are now two grandchildren who barely know us. And every year there are huge discussions (and sleepless nights) about it. The bottom line is I feel sorry for my DS having to be put in that position by her year after year.

....and so goes the days of our lives...... but thanks for the thoughts... it's nice to know someone else out there thinks something is offline....
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 16:01

Plan: General low-carb/sugar
Stats: 185/185/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You all are my kind of people! I don't count ANYTHING anymore...carbs, calories, protein...none of it. And I'm losing weight. I have cut down on the carbs/starches and sugars but still eat them once in a while. I weigh once a week. If I eat bread (which I do almost every day with some natural peanut butter), I make sure it's 100% whole grain. I eat a LOT now. It's kind of shocking to me how much I can eat when I don't eat a lot of carbs or sugars.

I have found also something in Dr. Oz's "You on a Diet" book that resonated with me. He has a section on the levels of hunger and fullness, from starving to ready to explode. He says when you think you want to eat, evaluate where you are on the hunger scale try to eat just enough to keep you feeling 3/4 full to fully satisfied (but not stuffed!). That has worked really well also. Especially the reverse -- not letting myself get to the point where I am super hungry. I've found though that when you eliminate a lot of carbs/sugars, the urge to snack and many of the cravings go away.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-11, 06:49
Registered Member

BF:

I totally agree, MissLori. The way of eating that you are following is pretty much what I'm doing, which is pretty much following Dr. Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet. Nothing is really forbidden, and I don't count anything, but I limit and for the most part stay away from the white stuff (sugar, processed flours, white potatoes). If I want that stuff, I'll have a small portion on my plate. And if I do want a sweet, I'll have a small portion at the end of a meal so as to reduce the insulin spike that comes with eating it. Cravings are gone, and the urge to binge on junk that I've been deprived of is also gone because I haven't been deprived!

And I don't eat a fruit or steel cut oats, oat bran cereal, etc., without eating some extra protein with it, just like your bread and p.b.

A visual that I've found useful regarding portion size -- because I'm all about eating plenty! -- is when I'm having a smaller, volume-wise, meal than I think will satisfy me, I imagine the actual size of my stomach and how much food it would take to fill it, which really isn't all that much. Once I've eaten my smaller meal that I doubted would fill me up, I find that it was plenty. This has worked especially well when I have a bowl of soup (home-made sausage-lentil is one of my favorites) for lunch.

This is a tough time of year for me, starting with Thanksgiving, then birthdays, and ending with Christmas and New Year's. Lots of temptations. I'm debating whether or not to bake any cookies this year. It just doesn't seem like the holidays without home-baked cookies, but if I bake them, I'll eat too many. Who needs them?!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 22:20

BF:

Hi MissLori.

Can you post a sample day of your eating plan- including how much? That's great that you are losing, but still eat good portions!

SeaLady
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 22:30

Plan: General low-carb/sugar
Stats: 185/185/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

SeaLady -- I have a 100% whole wheat sandwich thin, toasted with a couple tablespoons of natural peanut butter in the mornings. Lunch is chili with beans, or a big salad with tuna salad on it and cheese, black olives, sunflower seeds, hard boiled egg and Ranch. Dinner is chicken and veggies. Or sometimes just egg salad if I'm not really hungry. I snack on nuts and cheese. I have a square of 85% chocolate pretty much every day. I drink wine a couple times a week. If I go out, I'll get a bacon cheeseburger and throw away the top bun and eat part of the bottom bun and some fries sometimes. If I eat carbs, I try to always have protein with it and then I try to not eat many carbs the next day. I don't eat fruit usually. I try not to eat when I'm not really hungry. I lose 2-3 lbs a week. I want to lose 20-25 total, so I'm encourage with how I'm doing so far, but it's still early so we shall see.