Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's '72
Stats: 323/247/223 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
However, I'm reminded of an old piece of advice: "Never argue with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it."
I like Mark Twain's advice - "Never argue with an idiot. He'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I'm not normally that harsh on someone but when you quote a study and 'report' the exact opposite of what it says... Either you're being intentionally dishonest or your an idiot.

Quote:
We know what happened to that dream.
Now why on earth would we want a population full of healthy people? Just think of all the poor pharmasutical companies that would be bankrupt if that happened...

Ok, maybe I've become a touch cynical in my old age (36).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 15:09

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I read Dr. McDougall's latest newsletter today. You can read it HERE.

I just read this newsletter. Aside from the obvious untruths in the article which other have pointed out, the man seems slightly unhinged to me. He seems to have a political agenda that doesn't have much to do with actual health.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 15:35

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I am more and more shocked by this article. I started poking around, and I picked one of his statements at random - one which seemed particularly odd to me - and googled it:

"Caesar’s legions complained when they had too much meat in their diet and preferred to do their fighting on grains."

I got quite a few hits using that exact quote. One hit is to McDougal's book. The footnote takes me to Durant's The Story of Civilization volume 3 - no page numbers given - which makes me suspicious, because all the other cites include page numbers.

The reference after that one is this: http://www.archaeology.org/0811/abs.../gladiator.html

McDougal uses this to bolster this paragraph in his book:

Quote:
The remains of more that 60 gladiators who lived and died more that 1,800 years ago in Epheseus, in western Turkey, were recently found in a 200-square-foot plot along the road that lead from the city center to the Temple of Artemis. Analysis of their bones for calcium, strontium, and zinc showed that the world's fiercest fighters followed an essentially vegan diet. In contemporary accounts, the gladiators are sometimes referred to as hordearii, or barley men, since barley provided the bulk of the nutrients that gave their remarkably strong muscles and bones the strength and endurance to compete in the ultimate sport of life and death.

But if you go to the article he cites you learn this (my bolding):

Quote:
Compared to the average inhabitant of Ephesus, gladiators ate more plants and very little animal protein. The vegetarian diet had nothing to do with poverty or animal rights. Gladiators, it seems, were fat. Consuming a lot of simple carbohydrates, such as barley, and legumes, like beans, was designed for survival in the arena. Packing in the carbs also packed on the pounds. "Gladiators needed subcutaneous fat," Grossschmidt explains. "A fat cushion protects you from cut wounds and shields nerves and blood vessels in a fight." Not only would a lean gladiator have been dead meat, he would have made for a bad show. Surface wounds "look more spectacular," says Grossschmidt. "If I get wounded but just in the fatty layer, I can fight on," he adds. "It doesn't hurt much, and it looks great for the spectators."

What the hell! His own freaking citation comes right out and says carbs made gladiators fat and that was part of the fun.