Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 16:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Liptauer Cheese

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe069.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 13:54

Plan: none
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 170
BF:
Progress:
Default err, geography of Europe... !?

I have just a small (maybe offtopic) comment to this recipe. What you call "Liptauer Cheese" definitely does not come from Hungary!!!

Instead, it is typical Slovak cheese - even your name suggests that, as this cheese is produced in region of Slovakia called Liptov. The cheese is originally made with mixture of sheep cheese and cow cheese - it is salted, then let mature for few weeks, and afterwards it is comminuted so that the result is bright white cheese, salty and savorous with very soft consistence (like cream cheese, but not that smooth). The original name of the cheese is "bryndza".

Your recipe seems like imitation of what Slovaks make from bryndza to be used as a spread on bread/pastry. If you just omit those anchovies and mustard, it could perhaps taste very similar to the original.

Anyway, next time, please try to check the information you pass around!

Last edited by aji : Sun, Nov-13-05 at 14:07.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 15:53
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aji
err, geography of Europe... !?
Anyway, next time, please try to check the information you pass around!

Can you also please check around before trying to give geography lessons?

Quote:
Liptauer is a spread made with a soft cheese and various herbs and spices and originates from a town in Hungary called Lipto.

http://www.soundhome.com/topics/topic_dfliptauer.shtml
http://www.balkanweb.com/hungaria/recipes1.htm
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~ju...eesespread.html
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 18:12
Pitclerk

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hear, hear... Tamarian!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 13:06

BF:
Progress:
Default oh, not just geography, history is needed, too ;)

You use rather confused information sources. In fact, you seem to live a hundred years ago, when Habsburg monarchy of Austria-Hungary existed. Kingdom of Hungary was part of it, with Slovakia as one of Hungarian regions. Anyway, things have changed significantly since then, Slovakia and Hungary are two independent states and to call Liptov a part of Hungary is quite embarrassing mistake. Further more, Liptov (in Hungarian language called Liptó) is definitely not a town, it is whole region in north-western Slovakia.

check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liptov
http://www.statoids.com/uhu.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryndza

peace
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 14:08
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aji
You use rather confused information sources. In fact, you seem to live a hundred years ago

Tradition tends to live a lot more than just a hundred years, even for cheese. If this is new to you, you may want to pick something more interesting to research, such as the origin of falafel, or flat breads, at leat it may not be purely nationalistic.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 14:33

BF:
Progress:

I was just trying to explain that the kind of cheese we are talking about here has nothing to do with traditional hungarian food (that's paprika, goulash, perkelt and many others, not this "liptauer cheese"). Instead, in original version (without anchovies and mustard) it is slovak. sure, in fact it is more important how it tastes and so on. I just wanted to make clear something, which I consider quite confused in the recipe. and I dared to do so only because I know that central-european region well... you see, it is my home.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 15:30
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aji
I was just trying to explain that the kind of cheese we are talking about here has nothing to do with traditional hungarian food (that's paprika, goulash, perkelt and many others, not this "liptauer cheese"). Instead, in original version (without anchovies and mustard) it is slovak. s

This recipes is made with anchovies, which, according to every recipe I could find is considered a Hungrarian tradition:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/f.../anchovies.html

Quote:
This is a classic Hungarian cheese spread made from Lipto, a sheep’s-milk cheese. In Austria, this cheese spread called Liptauer.

So I respect your opinion and sense of nationalism about this recipe and how the rest of the world must be "confused" about it's origin, but hope you'd be able to respect all the resources listed by both of us (even your links), that the origin is Hungarian.

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 16:01

BF:
Progress:

I won't argue any more, I'll just use an analogy to show, what I was trying to explain:

let's take Salsa Chile Atitlán (of mexican town Atitlán), to improve the taste add some maple syrup - thus making it somehow "typically" canadian - and make sure to call it "traditional canadian salsa chile atitlán"

... kind of funny, isn't it? )
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 16:18
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aji
I won't argue any more, I'll just use an analogy to show, what I was trying to explain:

let's take Salsa Chile Atitlán (of mexican town Atitlán), to improve the taste add some maple syrup - thus making it somehow "typically" canadian - and make sure to call it "traditional canadian salsa chile atitlán"

... kind of funny, isn't it? )

It's funny, and very obnoxious, but it's exactly what you're trying to do here. You're saying because the town is no longer in Hungary, no one should consider or mention it's Hungarian origin, history or tradition, even when referring to it's cheese.

That would be very much like eliminating any mention of Tex-Mex food, and calling it American food.

Wa'il
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 09:52

BF:
Progress:

OMG, you still haven't understood... your lack of central-european history background is understandable, your attitude is not...

the most interesting about it is how to find out about slovak/hungarian (?) cuisine you consult americans, austrians... but don't listen to what is said by hungarians or slovaks... (i'm sorry, but it's ignorance in bloom)

hawk!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 10:38
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aji
OMG, you still haven't understood... your lack of central-european history background is understandable, your attitude is not...

the most interesting about it is how to find out about slovak/hungarian (?) cuisine you consult americans, austrians... but don't listen to what is said by hungarians or slovaks... (i'm sorry, but it's ignorance in bloom)

hawk!

You mean you're the one listening to Hungarians? Nice try. Any way, I'm sorry the world is conspiring against "your" cheese, and wish you good luck in your battle.

Wa'il
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 10:49

Plan: No junk
Stats: 180/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:ha/ha/ha
Progress: 20%

aji:

Did you only post on here to talk about cheese? So far all of your posts have been on this thread. It's a freaking recipe. I have a recipe for something called Magic Bars, but they don't contain any fairy dust, and the recipe wasn't given to me by an elf. Does that mean that I should change the name? This is the most ridiculous and idiotic argument ever. Your profile might as well be blank with the lack of information you divulge about yourself. People come here for support with their WOL, and you are just being rude, and intruding on a forum that many people find very helpful. If you have something to say that could possibly be beneficial, please do so. If not, please take your negative and pointless posts to the war zone.

Thank you,
Mary

P.s. I don't really care where the stupid cheese is from.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 11:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Phew! Yes, aji does seem to want to turn a simple recipe and its ingredients into a political debate. FWIW, debate and argument about political issues and other divisive topics are not allowed on this forum. Please read our forum policy on this matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, back to the subject of Liptauer Cheese and its origins ..

According to the Encyclopedia of Food ..
Quote:
Liptauer cheese

Definition: [LIHP-tow-er] Hailing from and named after a province in Hungary, Liptauer contains about 45 percent fat and is made from sheep's milk. This soft, fresh cheese has a mild flavor that is commonly seasoned with herbs, onions, garlic and paprika (which turns it red). It's a delicious snack cheese, which, depending on the flavoring, can go nicely with anything from beer to white wine. Though in Hungary the cheese itself is referred to as "Liptauer," those in German-speaking countries use the same word to describe the cheese when mixed with flavorings.

See also cheese.

A recipe title is meant to be descriptive, to suggest the food's flavour and ingredients, and/or the style in which it's made. It's not an Official Declaration of Authenticity . If I make Pad Thai from ingredients purchased at my local grocery, that were grown or produced here in my region of Canada .. I'm still eating Pad Thai, despite the fact that the ingredients didn't all come directly from Thailand.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 16:01
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Blame it on the European Union! They tried to change the name of Yorkshire puddings (if they weren't made in Yorkshire), Newcastle Brown Ale (still made in Newcastle ) and various cheeses (eg, Cheshire or Cheddar if they weren't made in those places) Oh yeah, they were the ones that said curved bananas and cucumbers shouldn't be sold in the shops Just as well the public revolted