Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Registered Member
Tana's weight loss journey
Posted by TANA1
Posted Sun, Jun-03-07
Female 5' 4'
Plan: CLOSE TO 0 CARBS
Stats: 237/129/130
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default Tana's weight loss journey

My weight loss struggle began when I reached my middle 40's. When I remarried in 1987, I was about 135 pounds. During the course of the next 20 years, the pounds just kept adding on. Some of this was due to my working schedule. I always worked the night shifts, usually 10 or 12 hour shifts. I worked for many years in the medical field, but did work as a 911 dispatcher for about 4years, adding even more pounds as I ate because of stress. I later returned to the medical field doing sleep studies, requiring a 12 hour shift again.

In 1999 I had my first symptoms of what would take about 5 years to diagnosis. It started with tinnitus in the first year, and progressed to episodes of vertigo and vomiting. By November of 2001 I was no longer able to do my job. Over the next few years, I developed profound loss of hearing on one side, along with the loss of balance function. By 2003, I finally recieved the diagnosis of Menieres Disease.

The depression caused by the isolation I felt due to the hearing loss, and the inability to do many of the daily routines of a normal life only lead to further weight gain. It took almost a year for me to be able to walk without falling, unless I was going along a wall. The episodes of vertigo and vomiting lessened, but the anxiety caused by never knowing when an attack would happen, caused even more withdrawal from social events. Loud noises, large crowds, weather changes.....all could precipitate an attack. While these same conditions can still cause problems, I still avoid alot of social events because of that.

Finally by 2006, even though my balance issues and hearing difficulty remain the same, the vertigo attacks have lessened and I began trying to regain my life back. I was taking care of my mom in my home also, but due to her declining health it was necessary to place her in a nursing home. That was in June of 2006, and that was when I also started to take charge of my health, beginning with the obesity.

On June 1, 2006, I started the Atkins way of eating. I had done that in the past and had some success with it. I have the original Atkins book, the 1972 version, so I had lots of practice. I was finding that since I could not really exercise due to the imbalance/dizziness issue I was going to have to go much stricter to lose the weight. I also was tired of being obese and wanted to lose a good portion of it quickly. That is when I decided to do the KE/kimkins plan. Around the 18th of June I started doing strict KE, and by November I had lost 68 pounds, putting me at 164. The fastest and quickest loss ever in my life, but now that I was looking fairly normal, I wanted to slow it down and hopefully not have too much excess skin.

I decided at this time to modify my eating, and add more fats into my food plans. I researched many low carb sites also, one of my favorites being LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com with Jimmy Moore. I also used sites to help determine the calorie deficit I needed to reach my goal weight, considering my fairly sedentary lifestyle up to this point. I settled on a short term goal of 1-2 pounds per week, sometimes I made it, and sometimes I didn't. But I never considered it a failure if I didn't, I instead would look at my Fitday weight graph. To see the number there was all it took to convince me to stick to it. I still eat low carb, adequate protein, and do adjust calories based on my carb intake. I often have Designer Whey Protein Shakes as a meal replacement, because I like them.

By December I was starting to go to my local Kohls store at the mall and do a little walking. They were kind enough to let me take one of the shopping carts out into the mall area, and I would walk for maybe an hour, albeit at a fairly slow pace. I tried to do this at least 3 times per week. I have to say that being smaller certainly helped with finding things on the bargain racks! I began my journey wearing size 22W and 42DD bras, now wearing size 4 (junior 5)and size 34C bras. GOAL at 1239 on April 18, 2007.

I am disabled due to hearing loss and constant imbalance issues. Losing the 100 pounds did not change that fact. It did, however, make getting up from a fall alot easier (to say nothing of hitting the ground lighter). But, I would like folks to see that even though some of us can not strenously exercise...............there is still hope and we can win the obesity battle.

Within the past month, my doctor started me on some balance retraining physical therapy to hopefully make walking easier and less chance of falling. The therapist recommended Trekking Poles, so I ordered them and soon will be trying that out. Hopefully, I will be able to walk around my neighborhood without having to depend on my husband to go with me. I also will be getting my German Shepherd puppy next month, and will be self training it for hearing alert and balance assistance.

I tell these things not for sympathy, but just to show there is hope for everyone to win this battle against obesity. If I can do this (I will be 62 this year, so ignore the facial wrinkles in my pics, please) anyone can.

There are many great low carb sites available, you have to pick out the information that you can use for your body, we are all different. The success lies in being committed to yourself.

Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by Cutie 71 on Sun, Jun-03-07, 11:03

Tana, sweetie!

YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on an incredible job well done!!!

14 comments [read all comments]

Article tools