Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 08:21

Plan: vegetarian low carb
Stats: 168/168/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default What to eat in the morning?

Hi I need help! I want to follow low carb. I still eat fish but I have cut out meat,chicken,eggs,and all dairy. The main meal I am having trouble with is breakfast. What low carb breakfast can you eat if you dont eat eggs?

Thanks Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I eat a homemade low carb cereal. I mix ground flax seed, wheat bran and ground nuts (almond, pecan,walnut). Mixed in about equal portions, add water and microwave till hot. I eat it with low carb soy milk and splenda. YUMMY..it may be an aquired taste though. LOTS of fiber and keeps me full all morning.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 17:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnieom
Hi I need help! I want to follow low carb. I still eat fish but I have cut out meat,chicken,eggs,and all dairy. The main meal I am having trouble with is breakfast. What low carb breakfast can you eat if you dont eat eggs?

Thanks Linda

Linda, I make almond flour/nut butter muffins and pancakes that, while using eggs and kefir, I have also tested with soymilk yogurt and egg substitutes like ground flax meal mixed with hot water until it's the consistency of egg whites and coconut oil for the butter. Use the vegan subs listed. The recipe for the muffins is:

PEANUT-TY HIGH PROTEIN MUFFINS -- per muffin, 10g protein, 3g ECC

Recipe By : Gaelen, inspired by Janine and Relief's muffin recipes
Serving Size : 1 muffin Preparation Time : 20 min.
Categories : breads, vegetarian

Amount Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- --------------------------------
1 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter -- melted (vegan sub: same amt. of coconut oil)
2 eggs -- at room temperature (vegan sub: per egg, 2T ground flax seed plus 5T warm water, mixed to the consistency of egg whites)
3 tablespoons kefir (Lifeway low fat) (vegan sub: soymilk yogurt or kefir)
3 tablespoons peanut butter, natural unsalted

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Beat the eggs until foamy, and then blend in the peanut butter and kefir.
Fold the egg mixture and melted butter into the dry ingredients until just blended.

Pour the batter into oiled, buttered or paper-lined muffin tins and
bake at 375 degrees about 10-12 minutes or until just pale golden on top.
Do not overbake or muffins will be dry.

NOTES: Recipe can be doubled. Feel free to substitute plain whole milk yogurt, soymilk yogurt or sour cream if kefir isn't available, and any nut or seed butter can stand in for the peanut butter. These are not overly sweet muffins. If you like your muffins with a touch of sweetness, add either 1 tsp. of brown sugar or 1-2 packets of Splenda or Stevia (or to taste) to the dry ingredients, or 1 tsp. molasses or honey to the egg or flax seed mixture. This will add only a trace of carbs per muffin and doesn't affect the nutrient counts at all.

HERB MUFFIN VARIATION: Substitute 3T. tahini for the peanut butter, and into the dry ingredients mix in 1 teasp. mixed dried herbs (Italian blend) and
1/2 teasp. garlic powder. Combine and bake as above.
Makes 6 muffins, each 265 calories, 23g fat, 10g protein, 6g carbohydrates, 3g fiber (3g ECC apiece.)

Yield: 5 muffins
Per Serving : 288 Calories; 25g Fat (76.8% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 94mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 17:59

Plan: vegetarian low carb
Stats: 168/168/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks the muffins sound great I cant wait to try them!!!!!!!

The cereal sounds great too! I have never had flax seed Ill have to look for it. Thanks for some great ideas! If you have any more I would love them!! Thanks linda