Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 09:54

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default It's the eggs, not the cook!

I'm beginning to understand why people are willing to spend a lot of money for peeled hard-boiled eggs at the grocery store. They are perfect every time!

Just when I think I've got hard-boiled egg technique nailed down--boom! I've got another batch of egg salad instead of deviled eggs. Pesky shells simply will NOT slip off!

You don't need to tell me how. I'm just venting.

However, I've come to believe that it's the egg and not the cook that makes the difference. Same batch, same boil, different results from one egg to the next.

Cluck, cluck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 10:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

ha ha Barb, that's hilarious. I boil a lot of eggs but I also buy the pre-peeled ones once in a while. I'm assuming you put them in very cold water immediately after boiling for 30 seconds? I have the same phenomena, sometimes it works, other times not.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 10:58

BF:

Thanks, Greekribs. Just for the record, here's my "fool-proof" technique.

--Use the oldest eggs you've got
--Place eggs in cold water to cover
--Bring to a boil and boil for 14 minutes
--Remove from heat and immediately immerse in cold water and ice

That sounds pretty good, right? Some recipes say to remove the eggs from the heat after the water comes to a boil, and just let them sit in the boiling water for 15 minutes or so. That seems to work, too--up to a point.

The insides of these eggs looked nice--perfectly cooked whites and yolks, with no dark ring around the yolks. Luckily, I didn't completely wreck the whites when I peeled them, so I got 100% deviled egg results.

LCers ought to be champion egg-boilers. We eat so many of them!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 11:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I know - we should be champions. The only thing I do diff from your method is I only add the eggs to boiling water and I boil them for 5-6 minutes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 11:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

once you steam, you never go back to boiling.
i steam 9-10 mins over low medium (I like the yolk a little runny), then hold basket under cold running water. when they stop steaming, i plnge in ice bath in fridge.
perfect, every time!

(I buy the pre boiled ones when i am sick/exhausted/lazy- but texture isn't nearly as nice).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 15:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Turn the faucet on to a fast drip, and hold the egg under the water as you peel. For some reason, it helps to prevent the gouges that ruin deviled eggs.

OTOH, if they're just for me, I don't care. .

Also, older eggs tend to peel a little easier. Save the really fresh ones for your scrambles and fried eggs, and use the ones you've had in the frig for a while to hard boil.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 16:51

BF:

Yes, the running water helps, as long as there's at least some loose spot in that membrane. I think that's why older eggs work better.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 22:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I have hens, so that means I have very fresh eggs. (In summer, when they are all laying it also means that I have some eggs that are older). When I first heard about the steaming technique I experimented with eggs I knew were several weeks old, and others fresh from the nest that day. ALL of them peeled perfectly! I don't "boil" eggs anymore (except for soft cooked eggs); always steam, and 99% of the time they peel without a hitch.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 06:48

BF:

Okay! Trying the steam technique next time! Good to hear from someone who actually knows fresh eggs. And a good experiment, too.

This is clearly a significant topic.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 07:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

"Here's the truth: there is no 100% fool-proof method and anybody who tells you different is selling something." from Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats

But Steam...and a HOT start is key to a clean peel. Get the steam going, then add the eggs in a steamer insert. A HOT start rocked my world. About 97.9% success

THE book to check for the best, scientific method to cook every possible food imaginable is,
The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by Kenji Lopez-Alt:

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Lab-Cook...k/dp/B00TG24C34 It weighs a ton...Luckily our library has copies because it is too big to fit on my home cookbook shelf.

But the On-line version of EGGS is here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...oiled-eggs.html Good example of his writing style I love this guy...He has already done all the Experimenting a Human could possibly do on an egg...and has the passion to write pages about it.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-02-16 at 08:06.