Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  73 Pounds And Counting

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 15:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

What a fantastic story, Allison. Thank you for posting that. I'm sure it WILL help a lot of people. Not only because you've been so successful, but because you took the time and trouble to tell us your history. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will relate to what you've been through.

It's a beautiful success story -- good luck on the rest of your journey. I don't think I've seen a Journal for you; I hope you'll start one. Not only will we want to steal your meal ideas, but we'll want to read the end of the story.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 16:04

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

WOW!

First let me say that I admire your courage and strength! Your story is what this section is all about. To share with others our low carb travels and successes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write it out I am sure that last 90 pounds will be just as easy to lose for you as the first 73 have been. You have such a great attitude and determination.

Congrats on your success so far and I look forward to being there when you hit that last milestone

*hugs*
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 20:16

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Thanks for the support

Quote:
Originally posted by alto
I don't think I've seen a Journal for you; I hope you'll start one. Not only will we want to steal your meal ideas, but we'll want to read the end of the story. [/B]

I just found this site a few days ago and can't tell you how happy I am to find others who are going through the same thing. I've been doing this solo and have just gotten a second wind of inspiration from all of you.

As for a journal, I didn't really think of it before, but maybe I should.

Agonycat: I really do think the next 90 pounds will be relatively easy. After all, it hasn't been hard yet. I seem to have tapped into something that is exactly right for me in this woe.

Last edited by allisonm : Tue, Jan-08-02 at 20:22.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 02:08

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Great story!! Thanks for sharing it!!

How about an update?

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 22:25
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Awesome story. I enjoyed reading it. I've fallen off the low carb wagon this last week..and I'm tired and fatigued already.
I went shopping today to get started again.
I don't know what makes me go off.
Good luck to you...and I hope you keep us posted.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 19:36

Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Wow Allison...

You have come so very far! I can't wait to watch you bloom into the high energy person you are becoming!

Keep up the excellent work. Thank you so much for sharing.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 21:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Smile

Alison,

Thank you for taking the time to share your story & successes thus far. I'll be looking in your journal for updates!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 16:05
OSU Cowboy Fan

Plan: Lapband/low carb
Stats: 248/169/145 Female 5'6"
BF:42/29/25
Progress: 77%

Your story gives us all hope, especially those of us who have stalled for quite some time (me). Looks like you found what works for you and have been quite successful, I can't wait to see the before and after pics.

Congratulations on the new you!

Last edited by sunshine2 : Wed, Jan-30-02 at 09:09.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 23:46

Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Update: 87 down, 76 to go

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of support. I wasn't planning to update for a while but since you asked, here it is.

When I posted this, I hadn't weighed myself for a while and when I did the weight was probably off a bit. Yesterday I was at the doctor's office and weighed in at 226 -- a landmark weight for me. It was my highest weight in high school and I thought it was the end of the world. Now I couldn't be happier to be here. 226! Woohooo!

These are my most recent observations on the effects of this way of eating:

- I feel completely content and happy. It's not because of the weight loss, I think it probably has to do with stable blood sugar, maybe stabilized hormone levels, maybe improved seratonin levels. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been a bit moody in the past. (Not extremely moody, just a bit moody.) Perhaps it had a more physical, chemical origin than I ever realized. I'm now more emotionally stable than I've ever been.

- I have had no further problem with sleepiness. This alertness is what brought me back to low-carb eating, and this is what will keep me here.

- All my carb cravings are gone. This is new since December. Until January I was using a bit of artificial sweetener and it kept the cravings for sweet things going.

- My tastes have changed. Many things that I never considered sweet (celery and other vegetables, red wine) now taste sweet to me. Actually, I think this side-effect is kind of weird. I liked red wine. Now it all tastes like someone dumped sugar in it. Oh well.

- I'm wearing a size 20, even some 18s! In June I could scarely squeeze in a size 26. (The department stores and donation centers in my neighborhood should be very happy. For the past seven months I've been buying and donating enough to counteract the bad economy.)

- My face is definitely thinner. My arms and hands are more slender and feminine. I'm beginning to see my collarbones. Those nasty, horrible pudges of fat above the backs of my knees are completely gone!

- My knees creak less when climbing stairs.

At this point I simply can't see turning back. I have no temptation to stop doing what I'm doing. Really. It's not willpower. It just works for me. When I originally started Atkins I had no intention of making it a lifetime change. But I seem to have stumbled on to something that's exactly right for me.

Someday soon I'll write a detailed post about what I'm doing differently this time from last time. I've only made small changes but have had dramatically different results.

Allison
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:35

Plan: atkins/No Dairy
Stats: 194/148/134
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Wonderful reading....

Allison.... just visiting some of your threads.... I am amazed at your success. This is wonderful and I hope the next leg of the journey goes well for you. You have many friends on this site and everyone cares how you do. Keep us posted....
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

Wow...what a great story. I am so happy for you.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 15:12

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool It's not about willpower

Allison,

I know just what you mean when you say it's not about willpower. When I found this WOL and it resonated so strongly with me--made me feel so much better, never mind *look* so much better--"dieting" ceased to be a concern. "Diets" require willpower, because they're all about deprivation. A WOL is just that--LIVING!

Many kudos to you for your success so far, and best bright wishes to you for those to come!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft.2in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Wink so proud

Allison, i'm so excited for you!bless your heart, you have come so far!!!!!!want to keep hearing about YOUR SUCESS!!!!! I'm so excited about this new way of eating!!!!!!I feel so much better after reading your story!!!!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-09, 00:11
Registered Member

Plan: General low Carb
Stats: 260/247/160 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Allison, I truly enjoyed reading your story....your success is a win for us all, I know how wonderful you feel about yourself. That is quite an accomplishment. Bless you and hope you enjoy trying on new clothes!

Article tools