Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 14:53

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%
Angry Gloppy cheesecake mess

Okay - I have to vent. This is the THIRD cheesecake, that after all the prep work, mixing and following the baking directions, that has turned out to be a gloppy mess. First, my favorite - Karen's NY Cheesecake and now George Stella's Pumpkin Cheesecake. I nearly threw the pan, cake and all, across the room I was so upset. I didn't want to clean up the mess. It is still unbaked and requires more time, at least an hour (maybe two) before I can turn off the oven and let it sit to cool. Last time I let it sit according to directions, it was still sloppy in the middle and I ate around the center. I stirred it up - not recommended but the top was getting that nice golden color but it was still nearly as sloppy as when I put it in the pan 2 hours ago in the middle. My oven is calibrated correctly - no subsititutions in the recipe, NOTHING out of order. If anything, I follow cheesecake recipes to the letter - pre-heat, pan of water if needed and all. Could it be the pan??? I have yet to meet a springform pan I can't destroy. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 22:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

While maybe not sloppy, most cheesecakes will still be kind of liquidy in the center and jiggle differently then the rest of the cake when done. It's the letting it sit then putting it in the fridge to cool after that really firms up the cake.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Have you tried Beachgirl's Cheesecake ?
Her recipe comes with extensive instructions and hints. Maybe one of them will ring a bell.

Among other things, you cook it for two hours (turning the temp down after the first hour) and let it cool in the oven for hours or overnight before you chill it.

I've made a lot of cheesecakes in my day, and even the worst ones were pretty good, but this one turned out absolutely perfectly the first and every time.

One question: are you using Polydextrose in your recipes? If so, you have to lower the heat and cook it much much longer. Even more so if you're also using Erythritol. Both can result in "gloppy mess" if not handled carefully.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 20:23
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

One thought I had...most cheesecake recipes want you to put your springform pan in a water bath (even George's recipes, which I love.)

I don't have a pan big enough to do that, so, during the preheat-the-oven stage, I place a small (9 x 9) pan of water on the shelf UNDERNEATH the shelf the cheesecake will be baking on. It works just as well as setting the pan in the water bath and I'm still getting perfect cheesecakes every time (LC or not).

Perhaps your cheesecake will set better if it's not sitting in the water bath. I've had springform pans that leak, so if yours is being naughty, it might be absorbing water FROM the water bath - and thus making your cheesecake a gloppy mess...

If you try this, let us know if it solved your problem!!! I love Geo's New York style cheesecake, and it always turned out for me. In fact, I made it again last night, and took the risk of substituting stevia for splenda - and it still was just as great as always!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 20:27

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Ooh, I think WyoDiva's got it. I've had springform pans that loosened up and started letting water in: gloppy mess indeed.

Have you tried putting your springform pan into a protective layer of foil? If you have the extra-wide kind you can do this.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 21:12
Registered Member

Stats: 345/330/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 9%

cartersg1, I don't really cook (i have no husband or kids and I'm a student) so i don't hardly cook but i made the peanut butter cheesecake(its on the recipe section of this forum) in a foil pan and it came out perfectly. It was moist and peanut buttery (if that is a word)! Don't give up, it is trial and error on the cheesecake. Just think how good it will taste when you get it right, the way you want it!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 02:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know George Stella's recipe, but a common mistake that people have made with mine is using 2 1/2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese instead of 2 1/2 pounds. Also, is the pan the right size?

IMHO, a good cheesecake should not be baked all the way through. There should be a bit of jiggle in the center. When you remove anything from the oven, it continues to bake. By the time the cheesecake is chilled through, it will have set up.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Never put a springform pan in a water bath, if that is what you were doing. You'll have cheesecake soup.

Alton Brown's method involves a non-springform pan which he lines with parchment. I think I talked through the details in the Kitchen Talk forum if you want to search for it.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time! My problem is usually the opposite. I usually get one that is dry and cracked.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low carbs, healthy eating
Stats: 154/149/139 Female 5'8.5'
BF:
Progress: 33%

My pan leaked also. What a mess. I don't put it in a water bath anymore!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 10:12

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

This is the BEST EVER cheesecake! No offence to all the others out there. I have made this so many times I can't even count. I will never ever use another recipe!

Bawdy's Cheesecake

It turns out perfect every time!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 19:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
My pan leaked also. What a mess. I don't put it in a water bath anymore!!
That's what aluminum foil is for. Cover the outside of the pan with it to prevent nasty cheesecake accidents.

Karen