Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 00:08

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

Any updates on this book, would you recommend it?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: vegetarian LC
Stats: 136/133/120 Female 5ft 6in
BF:27
Progress: 19%

I hate to put a dampener on things, but I have this book and I'm not overly impressed...

A lot of the recipes have more carbs than I like to eat at one meal (Lentils with Mushrooms - 72grams, White Bean Soup - 60grams, etc).

Many of the meals are not really recipes but just carb guides - like Oatmeal with Raspberries and Basic Vegetable Salad.

I've only tried a couple of the dishes as I didn't find them very inspiring, they're OK, but nothing better than I've come up with myself by just throwing low carb ingredients in a pan.

And maybe it's because I lack imagination, but I do like recipe books to have pictures of the dishes - this has none.

I'm a big fan of high-protein meat replacements like soya-mince, veggie burgers, quorn, and the like, but they don't really appear in the recipes here - I have seen one with veggie sausages tho and she does use a lot of tofu.

I'd have liked to have seen more breakfast ideas - something I've seen a lot of posts about on here. But they're mostly cereal or fruit based in this book - which is a bit high carb for me.

But at £6.99, it's not a bad price (altho, it is only a small, paperback book) and might have some ideas for you - I'd say it'd be best for a vegetarian just starting to learn about LC who is not going very low on the carbs.

Sorry, I really hate to be negative, but I'm afraid this book just does do it for me.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 18:34

Plan: My own
Stats: 250.5/250.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have this book and am not very impressed with it either. For those that are still looking, if you search at google, you'll come across a link to a low carb vegetarian cookbook (ebook). It has tons of recipes - all better than this little book.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 212/212/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I also like the vegetarian e-book; it was well worth the money. I am gradually printing out all recipes and keeping them in a loose-leaf folder.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Vegetarian

I am doing good on my Semi -vegetarian lifesyle , but I guess I am a fish addict, I don't eat seafood , but whiting /perch, the only fish I eat . But I do beleive I am a lot better off , I will be looking forward to the book. Any body out their eat fish and that is all , i do eat yogurt , no cheese, eggs every now and then.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 10:25

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

There is a great book out here called 'The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet' by Rosie Elliot. It has some great information on protein sources and also has recipes as well. It can be found at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...7833412-6560660
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 10:28

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

#23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 12:47

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I got The Low Carb Vegetarian by Margo Demello from the local library....I wasnt impressed at all either. But thats just IMHO.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 06:59

Plan: none
Stats: 117/115/- Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

i ordered that book last week... it should be in... today actually! yay, so excited!!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 10:11

Plan: On my own
Stats: 250/244/135 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 5%

HI,
I was disappointed in the book by Marge Demello. Has anyone seen this book and it is any good, Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robertson??

Annie
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low Glycemic Load
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I too have the Vegetarian low Carb Diet by Rose Elliot, and it is awesome. It can be ordered through amazon.com

She has a cookbook coming out soon, and I'll be ordering that too, but it seems as of this date, it's only available through amazon.com uk. Hopefully when it's released amazon.com US will carry it tool.

I really like her style of writing - very casual and friendly - and the recipes are really nice. I can't wait for her cookbook!