Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 03:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I don't know how many times I've heard individuals on this forum say to me that MY PLAN daily in maintenance is obsessive. In my world I don't consider it obessive. I consider it part of my well-reasoned, controlled existence.

I think that I'd rather be called obsessive and controlled than undo all my hard work and regain any of the weight I originally lost.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 08:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Seems like this paragraph resonates

This is where the daily weighing and the daily MY PLAN come into play in my world.

I don't know how many times I've heard individuals on this forum say to me that MY PLAN daily in maintenance is obsessive. In my world I don't consider it obessive. I consider it part of my well-reasoned, controlled existence.

Great post Demi.

I wonder why anyone would say to you that you are being obsessive? If it works for you, who's to say what is obsessive?

I think that all of us who work at keeping our weight in check do what we need to do to make it a real part of our lives. It's not by magic that we can do this...we work at it!
People are constantly saying to me that I must do something weird to keep all my weight off. "How can you do that all the time? I have to have my bread" Pulllease!! GROW UP already!
I may not use MYPLAN or FITDAY...but I'm always counting in my head. Thats how I keep track of my starchy carbs as that is what I really pay attention to.
I think that once I got about my new way of eating....maintenance became more of the same for me. Same as I ate to lose it! This is why it truly is so important to not stay so low in carbs for the entire time you are losing. Phase II or OWL is where we build our plans for life! Not just for weight loss.

My daily walking is also another aspect of my ability to keep it off. I've been wearing a pedometer for the past few weeks just to see what I average daily. Its been between 14000 and 16000 steps per day. Between 5-7 miles a day. I wouldn't be walking that much if it weren't my job to do so.
  #228   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 09:38
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Judy, I've heard it (read it?) time and time again. Actually Freckles and I are talking about in in my journal. I'll post it here too because I only have a small group who reads my journal and I think many more read this thread.

Quote:

One more question about this. Do you just eyeball everything and plug it into My Plan every day or do you still weigh every ounce? Please tell me that you usually just eyeball, with some checks here and there! I'm not sure I can keep weighing every thing I eat every day for the rest of my life. Just don't think it will happen. That seems more of a sentence than a lifestyle at this point.

My response:

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you. I still throw it up on the scale. Depending on what it is, it may go on the scale raw or chopped. I have found when you start eye-balling things start to slip. The kitchen scale is much like the bathroom scale, you can't deny what you see. I don't find it a bother at all, I guess because I've done this so long it is just a part of my natural cooking pattern (you have to like cooking to get in a natural cooking pattern ) I just consider it 45 seconds of the prep that's done. No biggie for me. To someone else this is where I can hear "obsessive" from other people. What do we always read inthe Refuse to Regain thread....to maintain the loss, you basically have to follow the same patterns that got you to the loss--for me this just isn't about the food, it's also about the habits such as weighing everyday, not keeping triggers in the house, logging food, weighing portions, etc. If I can be as successful as say Judy 5 years from now and all I had to do was weigh daily, use MY PLAN, weigh my portions, and the other obvious things with the actual eating, then it's a small price to pay in my life.
  #229   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 11:53

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Bummer.....

Quote:
.to maintain the loss, you basically have to follow the same patterns that got you to the loss

Can I change the pattern and just quit weighing everything? JK! Okay, I understand and agree. <sigh> More changes to how I envisioned maintenance to wrap my head around. So now you have me rethinking the scale I use and how I use it. I got the cheapest scale I could and it is difficult to use. I need to buy the flat digital scale and use a piece of wax paper or such when weighing goopy things so it doesn't need to be washed 10 times per day.
  #230   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 13:04
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
Bummer.....

Can I change the pattern and just quit weighing everything? JK! Okay, I understand and agree. <sigh> More changes to how I envisioned maintenance to wrap my head around. So now you have me rethinking the scale I use and how I use it. I got the cheapest scale I could and it is difficult to use. I need to buy the flat digital scale and use a piece of wax paper or such when weighing goopy things so it doesn't need to be washed 10 times per day.

Freckles--it's really up to you how you pattern YOUR individual maintenance. What works for me, may be not what works for you. I'm trying to learn from all the lessons that I experienced in the past so the past does not repeat itself. I know where I faltered and stumbled the last 2 times, this time around I am NOT going to ignore those things but embrace them and make them a part of my present maintenance plan if that's what I have to do keep it off for good.

I have an electronic scale, I think it's a Salter. I've had it for years. It weighs in oz, pounds, grams, Kg. and can move between them with just a push of the button. It also has a tare/zerro button. It cost probably $30. I use plastic plant pot liners--the kind that you put under the pot to catch water. They're plastic and cheap. I have about 2-3 stacked on top of each other and use those as my "basket". They rinse out easily, if one gets dirty you just pull it off and there's a clean one underneath. Using wax paper, paper towels all the time to me is wasteful--when you can just rinse out the liner. That's how I do it.
  #231   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 14:51
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I wish it was different too- I wish my magic wand worked and I could eat like "normal" people, or eat what I want when I want it.
But if my magic wand worked I think I'd use it for world peace or a cure for cancer instead. Guess I have to keep on doing the same, old, boring, not-so-easy things I've been doing since 2003. Sigh. But if I keep doing those things I can keep feeling as good as I feel, and keep looking how I look. Yup- soooo worth it. ANd that is something I say to people who say " still ......."- YUP.
Happy 8th Planiversary to me-
and thank you all for being here. I can't tell you how important it is that I can come here and 'be' with other women just like me- helps me decide to do this everyday. Thank you for your honesty, your posts, your caring and compassion for yourselves and for others. For me.
love
E
  #232   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 15:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
and thank you all for being here. I can't tell you how important it is that I can come here and 'be' with other women just like me- helps me decide to do this everyday. Thank you for your honesty, your posts, your caring and compassion for yourselves and for others. For me.

#233   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 17:53

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:

Eno, thank you so much for putting into heartfelt words the way I feel about the members here! A big thank you from me too.

I wish us all many successful years of maintenance.
  #234   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 18:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Yes, I agree! Well said!!!
  #235   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm not close to being ready for maintenance yet, but I've read about the first 10 pages of this thread, and I've already learned so much. I've lost and re-gained several times since I started LC in '03. Usually I lose motivation, and feel the anguish of not being "normal" and able to lose eating "regular" food. I stop at about a 30-pound loss, and can eat crap for awhile before my weight catches up with me...which it always does..and the cravings set in and while I tell myself I'm getting back on the wagon soon I can't help but eat that "one last thing"..and yada yada..

I think now I am FINALLY understanding that if I want to be thin and STAY thin, I have to obsess for life. And "obsess" is not an overstatement, just a reality, and not necessarily a bad thing in this case. I'm just hoping in the future it becomes more natural to automatically make good choices.

The most important revelation of the day is that I obsess, and have obsessed about my weight almost every single day of my adult life, and most of my childhood. I have obsessed about what I'm going to try next, when, and how I'll look when I'm "finished". I've obsessed about how unhappy I am with my body, and with my inability to lose and maintain loss. At least now I know for sure that LC is my path. My point is, I will be obsessed constantly, for the rest of my life. I might as well be obsessing about STAYING thin, as opposed to obsessing about how much I hate myself and my body...
  #236   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-11, 05:15

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I might as well be obsessing about STAYING thin, as opposed to obsessing about how much I hate myself and my body...
Excellent mental adjustment.

Speaking of mental adjustments, I practice what someone here once recommended: instead of saying "I can't eat that" say "I don't eat that." I don't eat sugar. I don't eat white flour. I don't eat cookies. It seems like a small thing, but it really helps, for example, when confronted by a menu.

Speaking of menus, I've just come home from a whirlwind trip that required a lot of time in airplanes/airports. That's a time when food pressures are pretty extreme for me: tired, cranky, and salad just isn't the most portable food you can find at a kiosk.

Anyway, along the way, I stopped with friends at the ubiquitous Cracker Barrel restaurant. Guess what? They have a whole page almost of low-carb meals, with carb counts listed (or at least estimated). They won my loyalty with that--even though I had to wade through a whole lot of choices with biscuits, mashed taters, and dumplings.
  #237   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-11, 08:39
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJessica
I'm not close to being ready for maintenance yet, but I've read about the first 10 pages of this thread, and I've already learned so much. I've lost and re-gained several times since I started LC in '03. Usually I lose motivation, and feel the anguish of not being "normal" and able to lose eating "regular" food. I stop at about a 30-pound loss, and can eat crap for awhile before my weight catches up with me...which it always does..and the cravings set in and while I tell myself I'm getting back on the wagon soon I can't help but eat that "one last thing"..and yada yada..

I think now I am FINALLY understanding that if I want to be thin and STAY thin, I have to obsess for life. And "obsess" is not an overstatement, just a reality, and not necessarily a bad thing in this case. I'm just hoping in the future it becomes more natural to automatically make good choices.

The most important revelation of the day is that I obsess, and have obsessed about my weight almost every single day of my adult life, and most of my childhood. I have obsessed about what I'm going to try next, when, and how I'll look when I'm "finished". I've obsessed about how unhappy I am with my body, and with my inability to lose and maintain loss. At least now I know for sure that LC is my path. My point is, I will be obsessed constantly, for the rest of my life. I might as well be obsessing about STAYING thin, as opposed to obsessing about how much I hate myself and my body...

Thanks for sharing this Jessica!! and thanks for your kind words in my gallery!!
I agee with Barbara , knowing that you tend to obsess anyway, its great that you can see a way to take that and make it into a strategy that will work out well for you.
  #238   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/124.8/125 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Judy, I think your sig there says it all. "Make Better Choices"...what a great phrase to get fixed in my mind. When I go to the kitchen and find myself looking for a snack, I keep that in mind. Even on legal foods, you can make better choices that will help you maintain. Instead of Wasa crackers and peanut butter, why not SF Jello? Thanks for that phrase. I realize this is an old thread but there is so much good here. I appreciate it all. Just wanted to bump it.
  #239   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 03:58

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
August 13, 2011

The Politics of Fried Butter

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Has anyone been watching the coverage of the Iowa Straw Poll? This early indicator of national election trends is held in conjunction with the Iowa State Fair. If you have been following reports on CNN or any of the news networks, perhaps you've noticed that political reporters feel it necessary to make continual (and completely gratuitous) references to the junk food at the fair. It seems that nary a reporter can deliver his lines without describing the deliciousness of the fried Oreos, fried Snickers or Fried Butter! And each time, the conversation revolves around how bad-for-you but really great this all is and how everyone at the Fair and all of their kids are chowing down in the good old American way.

As someone who has to mop up the medical damage created by our ha-ha attitude toward bad food, it's easy to see that toxic foods are no different than cigarettes. They kill just as many people in this country and take an awful toll in non-fatal misery. Just in fun you say? Well, perhaps in the 1940s a similar reporter might have enthused about the pleasures of a tent that offered multiple kinds of yummy tobacco. In those days, anyone who suggested that a smoker quit might be laughed off or called a killjoy. We've gotten past that today for the most part. Killing yourself with cigarettes is no longer PC. But we still think that eating Fried Butter is cute.

For me, it's particularly galling to see this kind of reporting coupled with political commentary. Our continued blindness to the link between poor health and our national fiscal dilemma is unfathomable. We have the highest per capita health care spending in the world, and health care costs currently account for 16% of our GDP, a doubling of expenses over the past 30 years. If things go unchecked, projections suggest a further doubling to 31% in the 25 years to come. While these costs have many sources, practically no one is willing to look at the responsibility that we, the American public, bear for failing to take better care of ourselves. We've become a country where diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol are the norm and where we've bought into the belief that pills can fix everything that ails us. They can't. And they don't. And as a result we are being bankrupted by an ever increasing health care bill.

The fact that we can still enthuse about deep fried Twinkies in a world so filled with obese and diabetic citizens shows us that we are very far indeed from correctly indicting unhealthy food as we have tobacco. In a way, we shouldn't be surprised. The current motto of our country-in-crisis is "Give Nothing Up." No one appears willing to give up his or her pleasures even if it means sacrificing for the greater good. The rich want to keep their tax cuts, Congressmen choose to re- ensure re-election rather than take the bold steps needed to get us out of our fiscal mess, liberals want to preserve funding for every known social program, and the citizenry wants to pretend that it's still ok to eat whatever and wherever they want.

The world is changing and it seems that we don't want to know. I just returned from Asia where the airport in Singapore looks like a 5 star resort complete with orchid gardens, movie theater, Rodeo Drive style shopping and ponds full of gorgeous, fat koi. The people are slender, the airplanes sleek and new, the roads seamless, the buildings spectacular. I then flew home to New York, where the airport was decayed, the roads lined with garbage, the people overweight and wheezing, the bridges rusting and the buildings along the way covered with graffiti.

Once upon a time, in the lean and healthy years of America, Fried Butter was fun. We wish it still could be. But, sadly, it's time for America to grow up and take responsibility for itself.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...ied-butter.html
  #240   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 13:19

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

when i'm at work, doing work meetings with large groups of people - i notice that the "normal" ones usually refuse junk food. i say usually because there is one person who regularly eats whatever cake or pastry is in front of her, and one fellow who has a treat once in a blue moon.

the take-away message for me is that MOST normal people watch what they eat; they may not experience as much angst as i do, but they typically don't eat crap, and they don't eat when they're not physically hungry.

my assumption that little miss suzy creamcheese from down the hall maintains her figure effortlessly is just another lie i tell myself so that i can make more excuses to feel self-pity and grant myself permission to flounder and fail.

and yeah; as long as i've been obsessing, why not obsess on the things it takes to get to the goal, and staying there.