Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-11, 08:43
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Under 5 for me as well because this time around I also finally 'got it'!

Exactly!

Demi,
Do you think that you got it this time from going through the Lighter Life program? What did it for you?
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-11, 09:29

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Demi,
Do you think that you got it this time from going through the Lighter Life program? What did it for you?
Lighter Life encourages you to look at your eating patterns and behaviour around food. Techniques such as Transactional Analysis (TA) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) are also used to make you think about why your eating habits are the way they are, to challenge them, and then correct them. If you don't know, TA involves the 'parent adult child' theory, and this time around I realised that it was time to face the fact that I’m an adult, and as an adult I needed to stop with the excuses, and just deal with it. There was no going forward unless I fundamentally changed my attitude towards food.

The following is from a current LL advert, and really does sum it up for me:

Quote:
Why can’t you resist?

I’ve got a sweet tooth …
Because the sun’s out …
It would be rude not to …
I’ll start my diet tomorrow …
I need cheering up …
I deserve it …

Stop making excuses. Change the way you think about food to lose weight.

Last edited by Demi : Sun, Jun-05-11 at 09:43.
  #213   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-11, 09:32
Attitude is a Choice

Excellent! Thank you!

It really is all about changing our minds!!
  #214   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-11, 09:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Excellent! Thank you!

It really is all about changing our minds!!
Thanks, and you're welcome.

Yes, unless we change how we view food, we can never be successful losers and maintainers.
  #215   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 20:14
Attitude is a Choice

Refuse To Regain

Maintenance is a Marathon, Babe, Not a Sprint
6/21/2011
By Lynn Haraldson

My friend Colton is always reminding me, “Life’s a marathon, babe, not a sprint.”

The same can be said for maintenance. Only I forget sometimes and fail to see the big picture when I’m living inside my bubble of scale-watching minutia.

In maintenance (to paraphrase Newton), for every emotion, there’s an equal and opposite “remotion.” Since reaching goal four years ago, I’ve been challenged/bored, frustrated/encouraged, confused/crystal clear and obsessed/aware. Thankfully, however, for every moment of obsession, I seem to have a moment of awareness, usually sparked by a fellow maintainer.

Ellen of Fat Girl Wearing Thin posted a blog recently about the betters and worsts of maintenance. She begins, “Maintenance is a bit like experiencing the ups and downs in a long-term relationship. There are good days when everything is going along just fine and dandy. But then, there are other days when there is a bit of, how shall we say… inner turmoil?”

When I was no longer pursuing a scale goal and the compliments died off because everyone got used to me looking the way I do now and very few people – let alone me – understood how to stay the same weight, the question I had to answer was, “Now what?” I spent more than two years pursuing the bright light at the end of the tunnel (my goal weight), but when I got there, no one handed me the light and said, “Here you go, hon! You’ll always know where you’re going now.”

As I commented in Laura Jayne’s recent post on maintenance, when I reached goal at 138 pounds, my body took me down to 128. Then I started thinking 120 might be even better. I got to 125 before I understood how obsessed I’d become with losing AND how afraid I’d become of gaining. I stopped losing, but I took that obsession into the gym and began over-training. I paid a high price physically, injuring joints that were already battling osteoarthritis.

Two years ago, I allowed myself (albeit reluctantly, I admit) to sit in my obsession and to take my exercise routine down several notches to see what happened. And what happened was...not much. I maintained for a year before I had knee surgery (which was a year ago tomorrow…wow…has it been that long already?). Then perimenopause hit like a ton of bricks late last year. The result: I’ve gained about 10 pounds from my ideal weight of 130-132. Coming to terms with my ever-changing body at age 48 has been the biggest maintenance challenge so far.

In maintenance, it’s imperative we direct the positive, determined energy we had while losing weight to other goals. To meet the challenge of my changing body, I decided last spring to concentrate my energy less on losing weight and more on exercise goals.

My first goal was to, by Labor Day, do a 20-mile bike ride with no more than a 5-minute break. Because I rode 19 miles in 1 hour, 35 minutes on Sunday (I was so proud of my knees!), I’ve changed that goal to 25 miles.

My second goal is to walk a 5K in 36 minutes, breaking my personal best of 38 minutes. So far I’ve walked 3 miles in 41 minutes, so I have a ways to go. But my thighs are strong and that makes me happy. I get outside and that makes me happy.

The other part of the challenge is, of course, food. I still watch my food intake, definitely. But I’ve loosened up some of my hard and fast rules, at least the ones that directed my obsession. For instance, I used to hate going out to eat. Was afraid to try food that – oh no! – might contain some fat! *eyeroll*

Now I love discovering new restaurants with fresh menus. I’m in love with Mad Mex and their pepita hummus, and their Overtly Masculine Grilled Portabello with Foo-Foo Tofu fajita is seriously fabulous. In my super-obsessed restrictive days, tabouli was taboo and tzatziki sauce was a no-no. Now, they’re my “usuals” at Greek Stop. It’s all about moderation and control and having the strength to get all Mom on myself when I beg for more than I need. Just as strong thighs make me happy, so does a good food find.

Maintenance doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Maintenance is part of the fiber of my life, and like everything in life, nothing stays the same. My body will change. My mind will change. These things happen over time. And time, as Lyn from Escape from Obesity wrote in a recent post, is the true measure of success.

Maintenance is a marathon, babe, not a sprint. There will be equals and opposites and obsessions along the way. But there can also be clarity and awareness that can take us on longer bike rides and faster walks, and lead us to some really excellent enchiladas and gyros if we just step outside the minutia and into the big picture.

#216   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 05:11

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I've been absent from the thread for a few days, and I reminded myself this morning that not visiting my friends here is a "bad sign." Even if I have nothing in particular to celebrate, confess, or contribute.

Actually, I've been traveling, first to a conference, then to a board meeting. These events were, of course, prolonged confrontations with plates of cookies, festive cakes, sweet rolls, desserts, and airport kiosks. So many reasons to say, "Oh, why not??" But I've worked so hard since last December to restore my current level of maintenance. I didn't want to come home exhausted AND five pounds heavier.

As it is, my aging body refuses to let go of "the last ten pounds." However, I find that coaching a local friend through her journey is a good way to remind myself of such things as the value of eating real food, the need for variety and veggies, the importance of not getting bored with the menu.

Yesterday, while ransacking my house for some important papers, I found lots of evidence of my weight loss journey, including the "how I did it" article about me in Fitness Magazine November 1999. The headline says, "Not another diet--but a new way to live." It reports my yo-yo history, a few key quips and tips, and a three-year maintenance record.

As of today, I'm only five pounds heavier than reported in this article.

The yo-yo still lurks. But the hard work has paid off. I have found "a new way to live" and owe it to myself to stick with it.

Best wishes all.
  #217   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 05:28
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

wow- inspiring Barbara!
E
  #218   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Barbara..thanks I needed to read that today
  #219   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 06:49

BF:

Quote:
June 14, 2011

Dr. B: Food Meanie

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

My last blog, a quiz to evaluate your FIQ (Food Involvement Quotient) provoked some anger and annoyance. That's not surprising, as my views on eating are often misconstrued or seen as Draconian. So let me answer a few of the comments and see if I can clarify.

In answer to Chloe who asked, "What's the science behind all this?" I say: the FIQ quiz is no more scientific than a quiz in one of those ladies mags you read at the dentist. But, like everything I write, it's based on the perceptions gleaned from thousands of hours of treating patients who are overweight. Refuse to Regain is a blog for people who are trying to lose or maintain pounds, ergo they have weight issues. POWs, or previously overweight people. generally have to live by different rules than NOWs (never overweight people). Food is more addictive, seemingly stronger in stimulating the brain, and is frankly more dangerous for them. They have an easier time when they simplify, rely less on food for pleasure, and eat food that does not throw them under the bus ( I recommend an ancient diet low in starch and sugar).

Here is a quote from Chloe:

"My gut feeling is that if you looked at who is capable of constructing elaborate, gourmet food, you'd find they were people from higher income brackets, because such culinary skill is a well-known class marker. These people have absolutely no trouble stocking their cellars with fine wines, filling their cupboards with pesto and quinoa AND staying very trim."

My response is that I have had contact with (and treated) innumerable people who were gourmands that became obese. Many of them were, indeed, from higher income brackets...because they could afford such fare. But they were susceptible to these foods and became fat. People who can live a life that is centered around food and yet remain lean are indeed a different breed, but not because of income. If you are one of them, you know it already. Indulge, enjoy. But take care. Research like that from the Framingham Study tells us that the vast majority of today's Americans will become overweight in time. If you are not one of the people who can immerse yourself in the food world and stay lean, join the party. Most of us are right there with you.

One of the most difficult things to tell a new patient is that she (or he) will have to drastically alter her eating style if she wants to maintain weight loss. She will have to give up most of the sweet and starchy foods she loves. She will have to work on making a food conversion. At that moment, I become Dr. B: the Food Meanie (or sometimes, a lot more unkindly, the Food Nazi). At that moment, it is impossible for the new dieter to believe that she could ever enjoy a simpler, more genetically consistent approach to food. That idea is rejected out of hand. "My grandparents used to eat bread and cake and potatoes and they were thin", she might argue. While that might have been true for previous generations, they were never metabolically "broken" by years of modern eating. It's my belief that most of us are. As a result, we have lost the ability to handle the foods that we used to eat. It's a kind of overuse syndrome. After a lifetime of overuse of starch and sugar, we've become highly intolerant: in the gut, in the brain, in the adipose tissue. Worst of all, this intolerance sets off an insulin response that triggers just about every modern scourge from heart disease to cancer. If you are one of the susceptible, tell me honestly: are these foods worth playing with?

Another reader said,

"Outside of North America and Great Britain, people eat wonderful, interesting, nutritious foods while generally managing to keep their weight at a reasonable level. They love food, respect food, and nourish themselves in both creative and healthy ways......Our family eats excellent, nutritious and tasty home-cooked meals. This, to me, is living, not the bland, fear-based world that you appear to advocate in this article."

The truth is that outside of North America and Great Britain things are not so rosy. In fact, the entire developed world is experiencing skyrocketing obesity rates. What I conclude from this is that our modern diet is overwhelming the world (the WORLD!) and it may therefore be pretty foolish to think that a susceptible individual is the one person who can avoid bad consequences. Do I advocate some fear when dealing with our modern diet? As Sarah Palin famously said, "You betcha!".

But a "bland, fear-based world" is not the take-away. To the contrary, eating a diet that is full of the original products of our earth is extremely wonderful and can be done with endless variation. We have nothing to fear from fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, fish, seafood, nuts, berries and the like. Let's enjoy them fully. If this involves an enjoyment of cooking (and even an immersion in the healthier aspects of the Food Channel!) it's fine. But simple eating, with little fuss, can be a zen-like experience and just as lovely as creating fancy combinations. I wrote about this kind of food conversion many months ago in a post called From Coke to Chardonnay.

Alexie, who is maintaining her weight loss in Europe, wrote an interesting comment about what it's like to eat there. Food is bought in small amounts from day to day, is beautifully fresh and non-processed and is prepared at home. Here's more of what she said:

"But food is also work. We cook all our meals and when we go to restaurants we can be confident they're cooking the meals from scratch as well. We eat at regular times, because that's the social norm, and we use our legs to get everywhere. Walking in nature on the weekends is expected by our colleagues and friends and you're considered strange if you spend too much time on the computer......

What you say about the obesogenic environment is absolutely true. When people are drowning in relentless food advertising and hundreds of different, bad choices, where fresh food is expensive and 'exercise' is something done at an expensive gym, then there are going to be health problems as a result. That needs to be changed.

But one of the changes that does NOT need to happen is for people to lose interest in food. That's just as unhealthy as the other."

My response to you, Alexie, is that you have described the perfect food environment. Unfortunately it is not the one we live in here. Because we in the U.S. are so drenched in unhealthy foods, we often develop a preoccupation with foods that can kill. This is what my FIQ quiz was intended to unearth. Unfortunately, we can't eat as we'd like or as we are encouraged to do, but must develop strategies for self-preservation. It's painful and tragic.

Essentially, my strategy is to suggest that we learn to love a simple but elegant way of eating. Some may see this is Food Meanie-ism, but in fact it is enjoyable, freeing and so very healthful. Is it the only solution? No. But it is a darn good one.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...d-meanie-1.html
  #220   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 12:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
"My grandparents used to eat bread and cake and potatoes and they were thin", she might argue. While that might have been true for previous generations, they were never metabolically "broken" by years of modern eating. It's my belief that most of us are. As a result, we have lost the ability to handle the foods that we used to eat. It's a kind of overuse syndrome. After a lifetime of overuse of starch and sugar, we've become highly intolerant: in the gut, in the brain, in the adipose tissue. Worst of all, this intolerance sets off an insulin response that triggers just about every modern scourge from heart disease to cancer. If you are one of the susceptible, tell me honestly: are these foods worth playing with?

The grandparent comment was my EXACT response when a psychiatrist handed me a sheet of paper basically outlining a low carb diet back in 2001 telling me that if I would follow it I would cure my depression. I finally bit the bullet in 2003 and he was right. And now I totally agree with what Dr. B says here.

Quote:
eating a diet that is full of the original products of our earth is extremely wonderful and can be done with endless variation. We have nothing to fear from fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, fish, seafood, nuts, berries and the like. Let's enjoy them fully. If this involves an enjoyment of cooking (and even an immersion in the healthier aspects of the Food Channel!) it's fine. But simple eating, with little fuss, can be a zen-like experience and just as lovely as creating fancy combinations.

I agree with this as well. I am REALLY enjoying my food and trying new things and new combinations. Sometimes I get fancy, but most often it is just simply prepared and it is DELICIOUS. To get to experience the fact that walnuts are <sweet> is amazing. Who woulda' thunk it???

Another great article...
  #221   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 05:56

BF:

Quote:
July 13, 2011

Huckabee: Eating His Words, Unfortunately Pancakes Too

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Ah, the addictive power of modern food. Never underestimate it.

On a recent trip to New York I happened to be flipping through the channels on my in-flight TV when I ran across Mike Huckabee doing an interview on Fox News. I was surprised to see that he had gained his weight back. The former governor of Arkansas and presidential candidate had staked quite a bit on the success of his 100 pound reduction in 2003. He ran marathons, wrote a book about diet and made obesity and healthy living a central issue in his political portfolio. He was appointed to expert panels and interviewed endlessly about his success. Yet even this very public and seemingly committed person could not avoid regain right in front of our eyes. In other words, he did an Oprah.

Huckabee's weight loss was motivated by a doctor who told the Governor that he would likely die in less than 10 years if he remained obese. To his credit, Huckabee took this message seriously, lost the weight and became a flag bearer for the healthy living movement. What could have caused him to put it all back on?

I have worked with enough maintainers over the years to know that even long term, successful POWs(previously overweight persons) fear that they are just one wrong spoonful from total regain. Huckabee's weight saga and the many other cautionary tales that play out in the public arena validate this concern.

Did anything that Huckabee said during his lean years foreshadow his return to obesity? I believe he left some clues.

1. In an interview with CNN's Sanjay Gupta , Mr. Huckabee said this about his weight loss:

Quote:
I had to learn that it was a change of lifestyle. And my goal wasn't to lose weight. And that's why this time I was successful, as opposed to previous times in my life. And I would lose weight, but then gain it back and add some to it.
Whether it's Huckabee speaking or someone else, there is rarely a discussion about weight loss that doesn't include the words "change of lifestyle". For me, this phrase is a red flag, a shorthand for nothing. Governor Huckabee's words sound very reasonable because they restate the conventional wisdom. But conventiona wisdom can often be just that: conventional. Few realize that it is crucial to delve into the details of "lifestyle change". The assumption is that it means fewer calories and more exercise. But truly successful maintainers would tell you that a maintenance life is something quite different. It is a well-reasoned, controlled existence that is structured around a healthy avoidance of specific trigger foods. It involves a specifically designed and executed eating style, a reliance on supported environments, specific and consistent exercise routines, and the maintenance of extreme vigilance. This is because modern food is addictive, and it takes several layers of planning to oppose it.

2. In 2010, when Huckabee's weight regain was already apparent, he wrote an opinion piece for Fox called, In Praise of McDonald's. It was written after efforts by the Center for Science in the Public Interest to eliminate toys from Happy Meals. Here are some exerpts:

Quote:
Blaming the packaging of a toy for overeating and under-exercising of kids makes silly what ought to be a serious issue: Obesity is a serious problem that has stunning health consequences and staggering economic consequences. But it hasn't been caused by toys and won't be resolved by getting rid of toys.

When a person is overfed and then under-exercised so that more calories are consumed than used, there will be weight gain. A 3-year-old probably isn't counting calories, but parents can. The 3-year-old probably isn't measuring activity levels and aerobic activity, but parents should.

Unless you take your kids to McDonald's and drop them off to be parented, it's stupid to blame McDonald's because they put a toy in a Happy Meal. When I was a kid, there was a prize in the Cracker Jack box, but I really can't blame my own weight challenges throughout my life to overdosing on Cracker Jack because I was digging for the prize. A person would have to be addicted to crack, not Cracker Jack, to blame the toys in the box for eating too much stuff in the box.

What makes my Happy Meal happy is that as a corporation, McDonald's didn't cave to the pin-headed pressure to political correctness, but pushed back to the loons on the left who seem to forget that Americans not only have personal freedom, but personal responsibility.
This also sounds logical. Parents should protect kids. Toys don't cause obesity. But it reflects a crucial misperception of the larger problem. Toys in Happy Meals are just one of the many marketing ploys used to lure buyers to an addictive drug: modern, processed food. And the practice is a particularly heinous example as it plays on the vulnerabilities of kids. It also sets up an unneccessary situation which pits the child's desires against those of a concerned parent.

The misperception is in play when we shift the argument to personal responsibility. If we believe that a lack of personal fortitude causes obesity, we can hoist Huckabee on his own petard. He talked the talk, led the charge, and failed. By his reasoning, he must be weak...just like all those parents who give in to the Happy Meal. I don't believe that.

Karen Tumulty, who interviewed Huckabee in February for the Washingotn Post observed this scene:

Quote:
Huckabee was tucking into a breakfast of eggs and butter-slathered pancakes at a trendy New York hotel overlooking Times Square. His much-discussed diet - he famously lost more than 100 pounds after a diabetes diagnosis in 2003 and wrote a book about eating right - is apparently on hiatus.
What are we to make of a man who has been told he has a possible death sentence if he's over-fat,who writes books about the importance of avoiding obesity, who stakes a political career on advocacy for better habits and then goes ahead and chows down in front of a reporter for a major newspaper? Unlike Huckabee, I wouldn't call him irresponsible. I'd say he's acting like someone with an addiction. An addiction that has re-established itself.

What else but a powerful, powerful urge could motivate someone to behave in a way that makes him look foolish? To betray an entire belief system once espoused? To perhaps give rivals a powerful wedge against future political ambitions?

The key to successful, permanent maintenance lies in a healthy respect for the damaging effects of the food that got you fat. To avoid being overwhelmed again, each maintainer needs to build many walls of defense. Otherwise, and sadly, he might easily find himself eating more than his words.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...ncakes-too.html
  #222   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 06:20

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
In other words, he did an Oprah.
Perfect. Yes, we've got to be loving and accepting of people--even celebrities--who fail to live up to their own excellent advice. They is us!

Unfortunately, the difficulty of weight management has yet to achieve the status of, say, alcoholism or drug addiction or permanent nicotine withdrawal. It never looks heroic, but it's just as tough. It takes acceptance (you're never "cured"), structure, group support, and just plain guts.

Fat people only get censure as they fail and fail against overwhelming temptations, medical ignorance, and (increasingly) genetic disability.

I try not to feel sorry for myself, or self-righteous either, as I move into my Golden Years. I'm way past my prime. Pass the Haagen-Daz.

But no. The less I use that crisp new Medicare card the better.

Excuse me now. I have to get to my weight training class at the Y.
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 09:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
But truly successful maintainers would tell you that a maintenance life is something quite different. It is a well-reasoned, controlled existence that is structured around a healthy avoidance of specific trigger foods. It involves a specifically designed and executed eating style, a reliance on supported environments, specific and consistent exercise routines, and the maintenance of extreme vigilance. This is because modern food is addictive, and it takes several layers of planning to oppose it.

Good words!
Yes, he sure "did an Oprah!" sorry to say.
  #224   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 12:30

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
But truly successful maintainers would tell you that a maintenance life is something quite different. It is a well-reasoned, controlled existence that is structured around a healthy avoidance of specific trigger foods. It involves a specifically designed and executed eating style, a reliance on supported environments, specific and consistent exercise routines, and the maintenance of extreme vigilance. This is because modern food is addictive, and it takes several layers of planning to oppose it.

This was my favorite part too. Stuff I need to hear so I don't do another Oprah myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Unfortunately, the difficulty of weight management has yet to achieve the status of, say, alcoholism or drug addiction or permanent nicotine withdrawal. It never looks heroic, but it's just as tough. It takes acceptance (you're never "cured"), structure, group support, and just plain guts.

Interesting thoughts there. Never occurred to me to compare it to other addictions!
  #225   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 21:09
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Few realize that it is crucial to delve into the details of "lifestyle change". The assumption is that it means fewer calories and more exercise. But truly successful maintainers would tell you that a maintenance life is something quite different. It is a well-reasoned, controlled existence that is structured around a healthy avoidance of specific trigger foods. It involves a specifically designed and executed eating style, a reliance on supported environments, specific and consistent exercise routines, and the maintenance of extreme vigilance.

Seems like this paragraph resonates

This is where the daily weighing and the daily MY PLAN come into play in my world.

I don't know how many times I've heard individuals on this forum say to me that MY PLAN daily in maintenance is obsessive. In my world I don't consider it obessive. I consider it part of my well-reasoned, controlled existence.

Great post Demi.