Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 10:20

Plan:
Stats: 180/160/130
BF:
Progress:

has anyone experienced hair loss on lo carb? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 11:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

Welcome to our forum. About hair loss - although I've heard it mentioned before, there is absolutely no connection between a sound lowcarb-hi protein WOE and hair loss. In fact, most of us find our skin and hair condition IMPROVES.

What program are you following? Are you just cutting out carbs? You need to be eating adequate amounts of good quality protein foods, at every meal. If you're just eating lowcarb versions of favourite "carby" foods, and not adding extra protein, that may be the problem. Also, are you eating enough FAT?? Good fats, like monounsaturated olive oil, and fatty fish like salmon and mackerel. And make sure you are well hydrated; drink lots of plain water and other carb-free fluids.

Do you have any of the following symptoms besides hair loss - difficulty losing weight, even with dieting; feeling tired and sluggish; puffy hands, feet and ankles; sensitive to temperature extremes; feeling chilly when everyone else is comfortably warm; thinning hair all over your body, like eyebrows - these are all signs of LOW THYROID; trust me I know, I'm a RN and also hypothyroid. Get yourself to your doctor, a simple blood-test will tell.

hope this helps

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 11:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Mlb,

Welcome to our forum. I think this is very common "perception" as the hair just grows back. Here's a link to a previous thread on the topic:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=273

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-01, 23:11

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks, doreen T

I began low carb on the atkins induction (June 00). I did not lose anything for a little over a month. The other thyroid symptoms you mentioned, I don't have. As far as how nutritionally I eat, I'm not sure. My appetite has definitely decreased and I usually only eat once a day. Believe it or not, this has always been natural for me and even before lo-carb, I would gain weight if I ate more than once a day. I have now lost 20 lbs and only want to lose 30 more. I often eat a salad w/meat, cheese etc. I take the Atkins #3 vitamins, flaxseed oil, CoQ-10. In the past 4 days I've added 300mg of Biotin, as recommended by a lo-carb chat room. Please let me know if you think something is "out of whack" with what I'm doing.
Thanks again, MLB
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-01, 15:53

Plan:
Stats: 107/107/94
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair-loss & texture

In reply to the Hairloss....yes, any new change in diet will show in your hair, as your body is going through normal SHOCK to adjust...I have lots of Hair loss since increasing to High Protein & low carb, yet it seems that a good quality MultiVitamin, B12 and Essential Fatty Acid like Flax Seed Oil Capsules (any cold pressed PURE form) or F4 (Herbalife has NO carbs in their canola oil capsules) did the trick in slowing the Hair loss, increase skin lustre & elasticity. Plus use your OLIVE oil on your broccoli...yummy.

Watch your nails stop splitting, and your skin TONE up.

WATER...WATER....WATER - drink it!!

Love
ENERGY
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-01, 22:38

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default energy

is b12 the same as biotin? also, how long til you saw results in gaining hair back? how much b12 or biotin do you take?thanks, mlb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-01, 09:16

Plan:
Stats: 107/107/94
BF:
Progress:
Default Beautiful Hair & Skin

Hi...

Actually Biotin is not te same as B12 - you may want to check LABELS at your Grocer or Drug store...and see what a range of Vitamin B's there are (Biotin being just one element of them all).

You have to find something that will work for you...and make sure you get the purest form of supplements: no filers, no yeast, no gluten, no sucrose, etc.
It may cost you a little more...but you are investing in your health - and YOU will feel so much better.

Love
ENERGY
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-08-01, 12:20
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by mlb
I began low carb on the atkins induction (June 00).
Since it's been 6 or 7 months that you have been lowcarbing, I doubt that your hair loss at this time is related in any way to the "newness" or "stress" of dietary change. Such reactions would more likely be noticed between the 3rd to 6th week (4 weeks is the average time for hair and skin cell renewal)
Quote:
My appetite has definitely decreased and I usually only eat once a day.
Do you not have little snacks or nibbles at other times through the day? It would be best if you DID. Research and studies have proven that 5 or 6 mini-meals or snacks are more beneficial for weight loss and blood-sugar/insulin stabilization than 2 or 3 larger meals. Make sure the snacks you choose contain good quality protein, not just "lowcarb".
Quote:
.... even before lo-carb, I would gain weight if I ate more than once a day ... I often eat a salad w/meat, cheese etc.
Something isn't right if you gained excess weight eating one meal a day only. But that was in the past, this is now. If you are truly only eating this amount in a day, you are undereating (it looks like it would come to 500, maybe 700 calories at most), and any weight you have lost is most likely a result of being in "starvation mode" (which makes your metabolism slow right down to a near-halt AND will make it impossible to lose the weight). This means you would be losing not only fat, but a fair bit of lean muscle tissue as well, and that is not desirable or healthy in the long term. The human body is amazing at its adaptability, and can put up with this kind of stress for long periods of time, many months, before signs and symptoms begin to show up - like hair loss.

Protein is the building block of all our cells and tissues and hormones and enzymes and brain chemicals. In Protein Power, the Eades' clearly state that a sedentary woman of average build requires a bare minimum of 60 gm of protein every day, preferably divided up into several meals and/or snacks. If you are larger, or physically active, your basic requirement for protein is even higher. One egg has 7 gm protein, a 4 oz chicken breast 30 gm. One oz. cheddar cheese 7 gm.

Vitamins and supplements are just that - supplements. They cannot take the place of real food. They are important, definitely, but you must be eating foods along with them to ensure their complete absorption and function. Vitamins are like catalysts that enhance and aid your body processes, but if you aren't feeding your body real FOOD, there's nothing there for the vitamins to enhance!

Taking the multi-vit is a good idea, and the flaxseed oil. Biotin is distantly related to the B vitamin family, and is helpful for skin and hair cell integrity. It is abundantly available in red meats, poultry and egg yolks. Vitamin B12 is required for iron absorption and the formation of red blood cells (hemoglobin), as well as aiding the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates. The body stores B12, and it would take 4 to5 YEARS for a true deficiency to occur. Most at risk are the elderly, and strict vegan vegetarians - B12 is found only in animal foods, and like biotin, is abundant in red meats, egg yolks, dairy and liver. The CoQ-10 is a potent antioxidant, and is being used for treating high cholesterol and atherosclerotic heart disease. It is very expensive; and fairly high doses are required. Unless your health care professional has actually diagnosed these conditions, you might consider vitamin E (similar effects) combined with vitamin C and selenium. Many reputable brands carry supplements that contain all three of these in a single capsule. Just a suggestion.

Try keeping a food journal of every sip and every morsel that you consume. Just do it for yourself, then after a couple of weeks see if you notice a pattern. Get your hands on a good food counts book, Corrine Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts is excellent. You want something that lists protein grams and calories as well as the carb counts. If you're coming up short on protein, you really need to work on that. Also, try keeping your calorie intake above 1200 a day to avoid "starvation" mode, . Try adding a little more FAT; use good olive oil, or the flax oil to make salad dressings. Eat some nuts as a snack.

Hope this helps

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 15-01-01 at 07:50]
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-01, 21:11

Plan:
Stats: 145/144/125
BF:
Progress:
Default prednisone

Doreen: I have been on prednisone since the beginning of November for Polymyalgia Rheumatica. Almost immediately I put on ten pounds and now I have the puffy, moon face associated with this medication. I understand that prednisone retains water and I also have heard that the Adkins Diet is initially water weight loss -- bingo - I thought maybe I can accomplish two things at once - get off the weight and reduce that moon face I see in the mirror. I was interested in your opinion as you mentioned you were an RN. I am under the care of a good rheumatologist -
Thank you.

Kayva
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-01, 07:55
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb prednisone

hi Kayva,

Welcome to the forum. Hope the prednisone is at least helping you to feel better! As I'm sure you know, the P.R. will resolve on its own after a time (few months up to two years) so you won't need to take the drug forever. The fluid retention and the puffy face will disappear as you are weaned (tapered slowly) off the prednisone.

Prednisone causes the kidneys to retain sodium/salt, and this is what leads to the fluid retention (and can lead to high blood pressure too). It might be a good idea to cut out the salt shaker, and choose salt-reduced versions of foods. Another side effect is elevated blood sugar, and protein loss (via the kidnays).

A lowcarb- hi protein program will be very beneficial for more than just weight loss! Yes, the diuretic effect of ketosis will help rid some excess fluid; you might consider using a salt-substitute (such as "NoSalt") which contains potassium. This will also be helpful. A lowcarb, hi-protein diet will also help keep your blood sugar down. Try having 5 or 6 mini-meals per day, instead of 2 or 3 large meals. Make sure you have some protein with each meal AND snack, to keep your blood sugar stable. This should help with cravings and munchies, triggered by the prednisone too.

Good luck. Keep us posted how you are doing.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-01, 19:20

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Doreen: Thank you for your very kind response. Just passing on a bit of humor. Today checking out of the grocery store after reading labels and buying the No salt recommended and a few other items, the check out lady smiled as she scanned two bags of pork rinds.

"On the Adkins Diet, I see." She said. "the only time we sell pork rinds is when someone comes thru who is on that diet."

Kayva
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-01, 09:28
Forum Founder

BF:
Wink funny things cashiers see

I too get a lot of raised eyebrows. I especially get a chuckle when the cashier is actually "paying attention" to my food items being rung through. Usually, the leafy salad greens, veggies, lemons and other produce glide by first. And some tofu, often. Then eggs and maybe some cheese. So, they're thinking "vegetarian". Then a big jar of Hellman's, a carton of heavy cream and a pound of butter. Okay, a not-so-healthy vegetarian. Then cans of tuna and salmon, and smoked sardines in OIL fergawdsakes! You can just see the expression on their face change! ... ... as they ring through the bacon, chicken, minute steaks, extra-garlic sausages and a frozen leg of lamb! And to end it off, a couple bags of fried pork rinds.

I guess grocery cashiers are kinda like hairdressers; they know all our secrets!

happy lowcarbing,
Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-01, 09:14

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile caffaine

Seems kind of quiet on this board - guess people haven't found you yet! Yikes! My Atkins Diet book was at my house so didn't really get a chance to read it again before starting this diet. I was home and I did pick up the book and reading it again this morning discovered NO CAFFAINE --
Have been drinking regular coffee and tea this week plus Green Tea so now I know better. But why is caffaine a big no-no on this diet?

Have dropped five pounds since last Monday so guess something is working.

Kayva
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-01, 21:05
Forum Founder

BF:
Thumbs up hi Kay, congrats on the lbs. lost!!

Wow, that's awesome, what with the prednisone and all. Good for you!!

Please click here for my response about caffeine http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=407

happy lowcarbing,
from Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 12:25

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Angry weight gain

Doreen: Guess I was too eager to post a 5 lb loss! It seems as though it fluctuates up and down in spite of cutting carbs to the bone, as it were. I know this is just water weight at this point. My lab test last week showed that my sed rate was back to normal so the prednisone was cut back to 10mg. Is it really true that between the prednisone and the premarin it is hard to lose weight? On the advice of the rhuematologist I have to take the premarin (which I have taken for over 22 years) to counteract the damage prednisone can do to your boney structure. (Ie: loss of calcium). Beginning to feel the first pangs of discouragement.