Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 17:19

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It won't hurt! Let me know how you like it! Did you add any different flavorings to it?

It's been ages since I've made one. Maybe next weekend.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 07:21

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Well........I have to say that the cheesecake is superb!! OMG......it tastes so good it almost seems illegal!! I didn't add any other flavors to it because I am not very adventurous when it comes to baking. I tend to burn the slice and bake cookies that I make for my kids at Christmas time.......lol. Even my husband liked it. He thought it was a little flat because he's use to the cheesecake his father use to make using about 5 packages of cream cheese but he liked it all the same. I caught him sneaking a couple of pieces now.......lol. The only problem was that mine had cracked. I should have taken it out when I looked at it after 35 minutes. Next time I know.

Patty
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 08:26

BF:

I also find that putting a bowl of water in the oven helps keep the heat moist so you don't get the cracking as much.

If hubby likes a thicker cheesecake, just use a smaller pan . . . or double the recipe!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 21:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/147/128 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default lime juice made this even better....if that's possible

I know this is an older thread, but I made this for my low carb superbowl party and it was a hit. I made it again tonight, but I added two TB lime juice and about a quarter cup more splenda. I have to cut it and freeze it right away or it will be gone. This IS the best cheesecake ever.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 04:30

BF:

Hey, it may be an oldie, but it's a goodie!

The lime sounds like just the right kick. And maybe add some unsweetened coconut to the almond crust. Ohhhhhh!

I really need to make this again. I think the last time I made it was when I posted the thread (upon the urging of several people that I had passed the recipe on to).

Glad you enjoyed it!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 16:12

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

hi bawdy thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks like a good one. if i decided to cook this in smaller springform pans, the mini's, four inch i think, do you have any idea how that would change the cooking time? also, does splenda add even a little bulk? like if i went with sf syrup instead, does it change the integrity of the recipe? any help would be appreciated and thanks for sharing!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 18:35

BF:

Sheesh, you ask a lot of questions!

I'm sure you could do it in smaller pans. If they're half the size, try baking for half the time and then open the oven and jiggle the pans. It should be firm around the edges and still a bit jiggly in the center.

I've made this cheesecake and other cheesecakes with both Splenda and liquid SF syrup and haven't really noticed any difference. The one with the syrup might take a tad longer to bake, but I've never noticed any difference in the final product.

The SF syrup is great because it adds no carbs. Splenda has 24 carbs per cup.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 01:57

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

thank you bawdy, you're a sweetheart
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 02:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
You want a good and easy cheesecake recipe that rivals the best cheesecake you've ever had in your life?

Well, here it is!

It's based on a regular recipe that I got from a friend years ago, and I've made it LC.

You can mix this up in a blender (though it has to be a powerful one) or a food processor or even just a bowl with a mixer (as I do).

2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup Splenda (or any flavored SF syrup you like)

Blend until combined, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Then slowly add:

16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages, softened)
2 Tbsp melted butter

That's it! If you like, you can make a crust out of 1 1/2 cups almond meal (ground almonds), 1/4 cup splenda, and 1/4 cup melted butter.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, I place a pie tin filled with water on the shelf below to keep the heat moist.

I input this into Fitday, and the totals are (using Splenda and having a crust):

4,049 calories
370 grams fat
81 grams carbs (minus the 24 grams of fiber equals 57 ECC)
92 grams protein

If you get 12 servings out of it (which are still good-sized servings, since it's pretty rich), the counts per serving are:

324 calories
30 grams fat
4 ECC
7 grams protein

And if you use a liquid SF sweetener like DaVinci's or Atkins syrups (which have no carbs), the ECC for the whole recipe drops to 39, and one serving drops to 3. Remember, a cup of granular Splenda has 24 carbs in it because of the maltodextrin filler they use so it measures the same as sugar.

Even DH didn't know it was LC. He loved it!

Also, sometimes I'll keep out a cup of the batter and add some unsweetened cocoa to taste (1 Tbsp has 2 carbs with 2 grams fiber, so 0 ECC), and then dollop it in and swirl it around.

Other people have added pumpkin and other flavorings.

It also freezes well. Same texture and flavor after defrosting.

Enjoy!

Hi, how many carbs would you say in one of the slices out of the 12? thx
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 19:27

BF:

It's there. The ECC means Effective Carb Count, meaning total number of carbs MINUS fiber. So, 4 ECC. If you divide 57 by 12, you come up with 4.75, but there was rounding going on before. But, to be on the safe side, count 5 ECC per serving.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 07:34

BF:

Great idea about doubling the recipe. I guess that would make the ECC 10 then as opposed to 5. Even that's a lot better than the cheesecake I ordered from a girl in work. It was a fund raiser for her daughter so I couldn't not order one. That's ok though, the family can eat that one and I'll have mine to myself......lol. Her cheesecake has 28g. carbs per slice!! Youch!!!

Patty
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 07:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrcmcc6
Great idea about doubling the recipe. I guess that would make the ECC 10 then as opposed to 5.

Not necessarily. If it's twice a thick, I might cut the slices smaller. Also, remember that if you use a SF syrup instead of Splenda the ECC for slice goes down to 3, so even double that (6) is within reason.

One other thing. The Philly 1/3 less fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) is lower in carbs per serving than their regular cream cheese. Regular Philly has 1 carb per ounce, so if you use two packages (8 ounces each), that's 16 carbs added. The Neufchatel version has less than 1 carb -- probably around .5, so it's only 8 carbs for the recipe.

Nit-picking, to be sure, but there are dozens of ways to get the carb count down. Another way is to do it without a crust. Just spray the bottom of the springform pan with Pam.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 09:02

BF:

Well.......i think i'm going to make this one again today. I've been slacking off lately and I have to get back into the full swing of things. If I have a nice piece of cheesecake waiting in the fridge for me.......it might keep me focused...lol. I think I will double the recipe this time AND add a crust. I bought chopped pecans the last time I made it but I never used them.

Patty
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 13:31

Plan: Atkins/SBD
Stats: 136/116/105 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Awesome Recipe !!!

Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for this great recipe! I'm not very good at baking but somehow, I baked a GREAT cheesecake following your recipe! I love the texture of this cheesecake. It's soft, creamy, hm..m..m Heaven! Even my husband who doesn't like sweet stuff loves it!

Not to mention it's ... LOW CARBS !!!

#45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 14:27

BF:

Wow! Is that a picture of the cheesecake you made from my recipe? Did you do anything special with the top? Looks like heaven.

So glad you like it!