Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-00, 18:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Has any experienced weight-loss resistance while taking asthma medications? Or the opposite questions, does any one take asthma medication and continues to lose weight?

I suspect that some medications may inhibit weight loss, and asthma medications might one of those drugs. Just from personal experience, and would like to compare notes.

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-00, 13:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb interesting study from ACCP

I found this interesting Canadian survey done in 1998, regarding the use of inhaled corticosteroids. The survey revealed that many asthma patients feared side effects, including weight gain, and that this fear often inhibited compliance with the drug regimen. However, it also concluded that there was often a lack of information provided by doctors and health care providers in this regard. But, I also scoured many patient-centered resources including communication forums, and significant weight-gain is not just a fear, it's a reality for many patients - 20 to 30 lbs is not uncommon. (I can relate to this, because the meds I take for my fibromyalgia are well-documented for weight gain as a side effect, yet drs. and physiotherapists insist that my weight gain is due to lack of exercise, making poor food choices and just plain overeating - all untrue - I hate that )

Oral forms of corticosteroids used for asthma Rx are notorious for weight gain - fluid retention, and abnormal fat deposit on the upper body, esp face, shoulders, back and chest (Cushing's syndrome). Supposedly, the newer inhaled versions do not cause this because they are absorbed directly into the upper airway, rather than systemically via the digestive tract. But, I'm sure that some is absorbed into the tissues and blood stream even so.

I believe that the meds definitely have an effect on your weight loss efforts. In particular, carbohydrate metabolism and blood sugar swings, the ideal diet being high protein, low-carb. It's a cross some of us have to bear, unfortunately. Just wish there was some way to overcome the effects.

Here's the link to the study article
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0...1/article.jhtml

from American College of Chest Physicians:

Perception of the role and potential side effects of inhaled corticosteroids among asthmatic patients.
Author/s: Louis-Philippe Boulet Issue: March, 1998

#3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-00, 14:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I should give my doctor all 9 pages! He said what your doctor said, that it can't be the medication.

So it does not only prevents weight loss, it actually causes weight gain! This makes me glad that at least following this WOL made me stall rather than gain!

Wa'il