Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which of these have happened to you?
No change in periods or PMS 21 10.00%
Cycle varies a lot more - irregular schedule 59 28.10%
Cycle doesn't vary - more regular schedule 32 15.24%
No change in cycle length 27 12.86%
PMS symptoms decreased 57 27.14%
PMS symptoms increased 38 18.10%
PMS symptoms stay the same 17 8.10%
"Flow" is more 58 27.62%
"Flow" is less 36 17.14%
"Flow" hasn't changed 27 12.86%
Period lasts longer 49 23.33%
Period is shorter 42 20.00%
No change in period 20 9.52%
Other ... for any of the above (please specify) 26 12.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins w/ Veggies
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:BMI: 34.3/29.2/24
Progress: 58%
Default Womanly Questions

Ok, every single dang month since starting the LC WOE I have had totally different PMS schedules, start dates, lengths, flows - I mean you name it, it's been different!!! I'm just wondering how many others have had this same deal going on? And if so ... how much does it all vary? And for those of you who got pregnant while LCing (which I know is a no-no to TTC while LCing, but ... accidents happen!) ... how did you know you were pregnant if your schedules were way off and you were experiencing PMS symptoms all the time?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 06:31

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

My TOM is pretty much on the same schedule as before, but one month my PMS is virtually non existent and my period is pretty much pain free; another month, I have the worst PMS and an awful period; and it varies incrediblely between these with no PMS and bad period and vice versa. I never know what I am dealing with from month to month.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 14:02
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I had a hysterecotomy and only have one ovary left, so no more TOM for me. But.... I asked this question in an earlier thread, if anyone else in a similar situation recently started feeling PMS type symptoms, bloating, tenderness, back pain....
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 10:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it might be important to note that it's common for your hormones to be a bit haywire for at least a cycle or two once you start LCing, because insulin has an effect on hormone production. So a year into LCing will be different than your first couple of months.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 11:04
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Also, I've heard that fat stores some hormones. So, naturally as we burn off some fat, we may be releasing stored hormones into our systems... causing some crazy effects to our cycles. Mine vary somewhat month to month in the amount of flow, length of cycle, level of PMS symptoms. I paid a visit to our local Dollar Tree store and bought a few 1 dollar pregnancy tests to have on hand if I get too weirded out by the oddities once in a while... LOL... of course, being single, sometimes there is NO NEED for worry. LOL
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

My cycle has been a bit off even though I'm on the pill. My Dr. says it can happen and I should let her know if it's more than just spotting. As for PMS I've been fortunate never to have had much in the way of symptoms other than the odd bit of cramps and nothing has changed there.

#7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 16:23
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
how did you know you were pregnant if your schedules were way off and you were experiencing PMS symptoms all the time?!?

The easiest way to handle this is to take your morning oral temperature before rising out of bed.

Before ovulation, temps are lower; after ovulation temps rise for approximately 2 weeks before TOM, the length depending on each woman.

Pregnancy is indicated by an elevated temp for more than 18 days. If your ovulation cycles are merely delayed (which is probably what's happening if your cycles have become irregular), your temps won't rise. If your cycles have become irregular, it's much easier to chart your morning temps than stress out about possible pregnancy and the cost of pregnancy tests.

These rules wouldn't apply for those using BCPs.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Nov-30-03 at 16:24.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 21:32

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%

I've been on Atkins for almost 8 months and my cycles have been all over the place, too. 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 weeks, then 2 weeks, etc. And my last period lasted 17 days! A few of the early ones kept me in bed with cramps, but the last three were pain-free (just long and heavy). Hopefully will even out soon.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 19:53

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

Yes - mine are now irregular at the moment.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:45

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I was always irregular before. I am now more regular than ever.

I was diagnosed with PCOS though, so I am thinking that this WOL has really helped with that and my regular periods are a sign that it IS working.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:08
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

First month into Atkins, TOM came on time and normal, second month, late 10 days and when I finally got it, it was heavy. Third month, normal and on time. Waiting for it now for 4th month into Atkins and I suspect it will be on time and normal. I hope!

Lily
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 23:22

Stats: 187/157/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 81%

The first month I started Atkins my period was totally out of wack. I had my normal period, then like 3 days later it started again...then quit and then started again!! It was crazy the first month and I am on the pill!

The second month it appears everything is back to normal....I guess my body is adjusting to this WOL...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:06

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I didn't notice anything different until I had lost about 30lbs. I then started actually having cramps and light flow. (I have been on birth control pills for my entire adult life. I hadn't had periods at all for years.) I had to go to my doctor and get my dosage lowered, then things went back to normal. I think it had to do with losing body fat. Fat makes or stores estrogen (I forget which ), which, of course, effects your cycle.

I stopped taking my pill 3 months ago. After 15 years of the Pill, cycling normally again has been an.....adventure, to say the least. I read a great book on fertility management called

'Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health' by Toni Weschler

It has helped me finally understand what is actually going on with this whole TOM thing, after more than 20 years. If I only knew then what I know now....

batgirl
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 13:01

Stats: 350/257/175 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Im glad to have found this thread.My TOM is completely irregular.Im 37 have lost 57 pounds since Sept '03.Since December I have only had one period and that was after being off this woe for more than a month.
I'm not pregnant.But I'm freaked out about this as I dont know what is going on.Anyone else with this problem? Im to young for menopause.Otherwise healthy.Help!!!!!!

Dessertmom
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 15:09

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have my TOM like every 2 weeks since starting Atkins. I have been to my doctor twice but she says I am ok. I told her about Atkins and she swares it has nothing to do with my TOM. She wants me to go have tests and a sonogram to make sure everything is ok. I am 26, no kids and been on the pill for 8 years. Here are some threads I found that lead me to believe that it's Atkins doing this to my body:

"Prob the reason it is affecting your cycle is Estrogen is stored in fat cells. Produced in your ovaries, the hormone cant just circulate and be eliminated in your blood stream....your body stores it in your fat cells so there is a ready supply....thus the reason why women with less than 5%body fat have no cycles...they have no estrogen stores...and also the reason why it is more common for women with high body fat to be more prone to cycle problems...that being said....the pill (depending on which one you are on) helps to regulate that by providing a daily intake of estrogen/progesterone....however, if your body is 'digesting' or metabolizing fat stores, you may be releasing more estrogen into your blood stream, putting too MUCH estrogen circulating, causing the bleeding problems....you may just need a BCP with a smaller amount of estrogen in it while you are LCing...."

Insulin is a master hormone which regulates all the other hormone systems. By eating the LC way, you have drastically reduced the amount of insulin, so it only makes sense that all the other systems will undergo some adjustments. In fact, LC is used as a treatment for some forms of infertility (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which are thought to be insulin related.

Those hormones, particularly estrogen, are carried in the female fat cell. When you are changing and adding more fat or burning fat and releasing that hormone to the bloodstream, well, the hormones get a little goofy. It happened to me, just changed everything around...but after it settled down I had EASIER periods and premenstrual symptoms...less cramps
and water retention.

Been there done that...what I have found is that my TOM is only messed up in months where I have some significant weight loss...like 3 or 4 lbs. My gyn doesn't believe my problems are linked with my weight loss, but I am convinced that it is. He has tried me on different pills and I still have a messed up TOM when I lose weight. However, my pills have still been effective.

"Bleeding mid-cycle is not unusual during the first few months of low carbing. From what I recall, it has to do with the fact that estrogen is stored in fat cells, so when we burn fat we release stored estrogen, thus tricking the body into "delivering the monthly periodicals"

I email Atkins and this is what they said:

Any weight loss program can interfere with a menstrual cycle. Ketosis will not have an impact per se. It usually returns to normal in a month or two. However, it is wise to see your GYN to rule out anything else.