Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:21

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default La Tortilla - stomach cramps

Well I bought the tortillas and they were good. I ate one Friday and then my stomach was very crampy. Thinking it was just nothing I ate 2 Saturday and until today(monday) I had horrible cramps in my stomach that had me bending over. I'm curious what it was. Was it the fiber? Not being used to so much then adding it like that? Or some ingredient in those tortillas that cause this sometimes? Is there anything in them that could cause stomach problems like. For example sugar alcohols in chocolate.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:51

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

http://www.netrition.com/low_carb_tortillas_page.html

It doesn't look like it from the description on Netrition, but there's no actual ingredient list. It says total carbs = 19, 5 are sugars and 14 are fiber....so there's no sign of hidden carbs there. But, it does concern me that there is no list of all ingredients.

Also, you may have a personal food allergy to any one of the ingredients listed! I have a friend that allergic to soy....he found out when he started drinking supplements to gain weight. A lot contain soy and he found himself almost living in the bathroom! It's the only thing he's allergic to....no other foods or meds....but it's a doozy of a reaction!

Try eating and not eating soy products (and anything else listed on the pkg) and see how your body behaves. It may take up to 2 weeks to be able to tell, esp if taken in small amounts (small as in a regular diet as opposed to pigging out!). Because of this, "normal" foods, that "no-body" is allergic to are cousing all kinds of problems for some people....because they ARE allergic! Personally, I wonder just how many people with "irritable bowel syndrome" (a new disease I might add) actually have allergies to the foods they eat!

I just recently found that cottage cheese might be a problem! And it was because I pigged out on it! I have stomach trouble and had been having a nice week, with no cramps, gas, etc....and then I kinda pigged out on cottage cheese. The next day I was miserable! It was over 20 hrs later, so it took me a minute.....but a few days later I had some more and the same thing!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:20

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Duh! Scroll down the page and it gives a complete list of ingredients!

http://www.netrition.com/low_carb_tortillas_page.html

There's Wheat, oats and soy in it.....as well as a few additives....any of those could be your problem, but I don't see any sugar alcohols!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:35

I do remember when I used to diet eating wheat bread would upset my stomach. Maybe it's the wheat? I would test it but I don't want to eat anything like that again! As far as soy I have never had anything with soy. I've always wondered why there is not a test that people with stomach problems could take to see if maybe they are allergic to something.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 12:13
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Sometimes people with a food allergy can show positive with a standard pick test. Sometimes not. The best way to detect a food allergy is to do an elimination diet. It's long, boring and tedious, but it's the best way. If I eat wheat or a grain 24-36 hours later I'm doubled over with cramps, in the can all day and it takes days to feel normal again. I'm beginning to wonder if soy isn't now beginning to cause a problem also. Bummer. As far as you having never eaten soy, read the labels of anything you eat that is remotely processed. You'd be supprised where it shows up. Wheat too. Lots of things are made from wheat that keep the wheat protein and still cause digestive problems.
http://www.celiac.com has a good list of things to avoid if wheat bothers you.

Last edited by m1whowaits : Thu, Oct-02-03 at 12:17.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 00:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Wink

wyo

isthat my mummy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 17:15

I have had 3 O'solo rolls and nothing at all no botheration. So I don't guess it's all grains. I'll have to compare the ingredients of the two.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 17:34

Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy
wyo

isthat my mummy

LOL I'd just like to apologise for this post. Looks like my 7yo DD posted after seeing m1whowaits picture of the lady on the scales
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 16:41

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

LovableLC, are you drinking enough water? We should all be drinking a lot anyway, but if you have a large dose of fiber, like in one of those tortillas, be sure to drink a glass of water too. Give that fiber something to absorb.
I hope that helps, because those tortillas sure can come in handy.