Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 06:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 126/126/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Worse acne?

Has anyone experienced increased acne when switching to Paleo? I have acne prone skin, but it was looking pretty good before the switch. Two weeks after starting Paleo, it is a disaster! I have not changed anything else (skin care routine, sleep patterns, etc). Is this just my body adjusting? My only other thought is it is the increased fruit consumption, although I was eating some refined sugars before and my skin still looked decent.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 07:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmmm... it's hard to imagine why eating healthy food would cause an acne outbreak. I can't tell your gender but perhaps its your hormones are a little stronger and that is causing the breakout.

Are you eating any food that you don't normally eat? With me it was more the case of eliminating foods when I went paleo.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 08:11

BF:

Thanks for the reply, Nancy. I'm female (23 years old). I AM eating more fruits and nuts than usual. After I made this post, I read some information on an acne forum about the high Omega 6 content of nuts and how that may cause acne in some people. I have been eating a lot of nuts (raw), so I am going to cut back on those and see if it makes a difference.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 11:49

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

You might also be dealing with a "detox" effect. When I first tried low carb, the only thing I eliminated was refined flour and sugar. My adult acne flared up really badly for about 10 days, then it cleared up completely. After that it has remained clearer then at any time in my life.

I have added nuts, reduced nuts, eliminated dairy, reintroduced dairy, used a little flour, used absolutely no flour, etc., over a period of 2-3 years, always keeping careful track of physical reactions. Nothing has had as dramatic an effect on my skin as that first 10-day "cleansing" period. Now, if I treat myself to something a little sugary I might get a blemish or two, otherwise my skin is perfectly clear.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 21:30

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I know you mentioned your activity hasnt really changed...but if you have increased exercise or physical activities even slightly it can make a big difference. Especially if you are sweating more than normal causing clogging of your pores causing acne flare ups. As time goes on though this eventually should lessen or stop altogether.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 23:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
I know you mentioned your activity hasnt really changed...but if you have increased exercise or physical activities even slightly it can make a big difference. Especially if you are sweating more than normal causing clogging of your pores causing acne flare ups. As time goes on though this eventually should lessen or stop altogether.

I noticed the opposite, when I stopped working out for a week, I broke out depsite no change in diet, when I went back, they cleared up in a week, one even popped by itself when I was straining through a rep ROFL, that was funny
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 12:27

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

stop eating fruit - seriously this stuff used to make me break out stupidly, ridiculously. Could be the sugar in the fruit, or the pesticides they use on them. I had really bad acne/eczema until I cut out just about all vegetation - but especially fruit - terrible for my acne.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 14:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

FYI on another thread a lady said using Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner has cleared the worst persistent acne that her cousin had (cleared in 2 days) hope this helps you
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 07:52

BF:

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I wanted to report back that my skin is now clear again. I cut back on the amount of nuts I was eating and also the amount of very high sugar fruit (bananas, mangos, etc). That seems to have done the trick!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 03:13

Plan: paleo
Stats: 108/108/118 Female 5ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default paleo diet and acne

hi did any of you suffer from acne before you started the paleo diet and has it helped or made it worse?how long til you saw effects?thanks x
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 03:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Had one or two minor spots once a week or so, got worse on the all meat diet for 2 weeks then my face looked alot better after that.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I merged these two paleo-acne threads.

My acne improved immensely once I went LC, and it stays under control as long as I eat fairly cleanly.

Good food + insulin control + the anti-inflammatory aspect of LC (better fats, more omega-3s, little to no gluten) seems to improve acne.

There's a theory that anyone who's losing weight can be prone to acne, because fat tissue has a lot of stored crap in it. As the fat breaks down, the crap gets released and your face reacts by getting inflamed.