Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 16:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Won't be sure if I'm in NK till next morning, BUT, my mouth is actually dry, too! I hadn't thought about it... Hi, Aradasky, this is me posting intentionally!

LOL!!!!! I will be interested if the dry mouth means the same for you.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 10:09

BF:

Okay, try again. I am on my ipad and it does not like me posting and changing size of fonts on our forums. So, I try again! Having trouble with computer Love/Hate relationship...

DAY 16 July 31, 2012

I did not take my Natrual Calm last night, as I was wondering if it was harboring fluids.
Weight 150.4
Fasting Glucose 81
Fasting Ketones .4*
++++
NEWS I had my coffee with 1oz HWC and 1 tbs coconut oil for breakfast and did not get to eat until about 1. I was very hungry and felt the buzz in my head I am used wehn I am in ketosis. I decided to try a test and it came up 1.8 !!!!!

So, does it take at least 15 hours of fasting to get a true reading? Anyone reading this know?

+++++

1416 Calories
35 g carbs (17 net)
64 g protein
119 g fat

* Oh boy, these really bounce around. I had a good day yesterday, not a lot of protein, and lots of fat, so this is a mystery. I am going to try a week of no late snack. I will have to work the calories and fat in, so maybe I will have breakfast. I also did not do formal exercise yesterday, but I did vacuum, clean some floors and play with my grandson. That should count for something! LOL

Last edited by Aradasky : Tue, Jul-31-12 at 20:28.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 18:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Wow, you are right, it is all over the place. I have no clue why, sorry, can't help you there. But I am very interested in your experiment, and I thank you for sharing it with us.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 20:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Wow, you are right, it is all over the place. I have no clue why, sorry, can't help you there. But I am very interested in your experiment, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

NO problem, I am finding that this is not a cut and dried way of eating!
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 20:30

BF:

By the way, I am having a snack tonight--I have to to get my calories up!
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 20:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Could your carbs be a bit too high, Arlene? Actually, looks like you're well under 20g net... probably isn't that.

I'm actually thinking of combining this with JUDDD, so have alternate day semi-fasting.

Another thing... I've read here and there that dairy is highly insulinogenic. I wonder if that's an issue for you?
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 21:42

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Hi Arlene,

re. the reading, I posted in the other thread. It might be the presence of the CO, but I couldn't/can't remmeber if you've mentioned that's a normal thing for you to take.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 22:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Could your carbs be a bit too high, Arlene? Actually, looks like you're well under 20g net... probably isn't that.

I'm actually thinking of combining this with JUDDD, so have alternate day semi-fasting.

Another thing... I've read here and there that dairy is highly insulinogenic. I wonder if that's an issue for you?

I am deep in ketosis as I see it, i think I need to be sure to get my test in just before lunch, not first thing in the morning. Dairy has never bothered me. Also my fasting glucose was low.

Nancy, what is your goal if you combine them?
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 22:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
Hi Arlene,

re. the reading, I posted in the other thread. It might be the presence of the CO, but I couldn't/can't remmeber if you've mentioned that's a normal thing for you to take.

I've been eating coconut oil since just about the beginning of my LC experience.
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 09:10

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
NEWS I had my coffee with 1oz HWC and 1 tbs coconut oil for breakfast and did not get to eat until about 1. I was very hungry and felt the buzz in my head I am used wehn I am in ketosis. I decided to try a test and it came up 1.8 !!!!!

So, does it take at least 15 hours of fasting to get a true reading? Anyone reading this know?[/SIZE][/B]
+++++

1416 Calories
35 g carbs (17 net)
64 g protein
119 g fat

* Oh boy, these really bounce around. I had a good day yesterday, not a lot of protein, and lots of fat, so this is a mystery. I am going to try a week of no late snack. I will have to work the calories and fat in, so maybe I will have breakfast. I also did not do formal exercise yesterday, but I did vacuum, clean some floors and play with my grandson. That should count for something! LOL
Could you have been low on blood sugar from the fast and light-headedness, and could your liver have shot out a squirt of glucose to help out?
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:07

BF:

I think I am being misunderstood.

It was my ketones that went from .4 to 1.8. My glucose is fine. No insulin there, just a longer time of fasting that showed a huge jump in ketones.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:08

BF:

DAY 17 August 1, 2012
Weight 150.2
FG 92
FK .6 *5:30 am
Weight 150.2
FG 92
FK .6 *5:30 am
FK 1.1 12 pm(noon)**

1674 Calories
28g carbs (13 net)
71 g protein
148 g fat

*I took this again at about 5:30 am, before coconut oil and coffee w/cream. I will take it again (using up expensive strips! Lol ) before I eat lunch just to see when I should take it so I can get a good reading on the day of and the days following my carb over indulgence.
** This means I need to test before lunch not first thing in AM. Next will be my overload on carbs for one day to see how long it takes to gat back to NK. My big decision will be whether to eat many veges or give in to a few cookies my daughter is making for DH for his BDay. Tough decision…. LOL
+++++++++
I have had a question about when the best time is to take the ketone blood test. I know I am in ketosis, I have all the signs, however, my fasting tests were below the .5 level Phinney and Voleck talk about. I go way above it after my coffee and coconut oil. I have done research and found this

http://itsthesatiety.com/2012/05/28...-blood-ketones/

Quote:
"""One of the speakers at the Nutrition and Metabolism Society meeting in 2011 was Dr. Adam Hartman, who is an expert in the use of ketogenic for the control of epilepsy in children. He made an interesting comment on the timing of testing for ketones. When eating the typical mixture of foods that people normally consume in our society (a mix of proteins, carbohydrates and fats), ketones are highest in the morning. This makes sense because the least flow of carbohydrates in from the digestive tract is overnight, so the body burns some fat in the night. When eating a ketogenic diet, on the other hand, the most exposure to carbohydrates is overnight especially towards morning as the liver produces glucose to keep your brain fueled and to prepare you for getting up. Therefore, if you are eating a very ketogenic diet, the blood ketones go up during the day as you burn more fat for fuel."""

So, I have decided to test after a fatty breakfast, that means I will test for my glucose fasting, however Ketones after my coffee, coconut oil and cream. If I test then, my ketones are over 1 and sometimes close to 2. Now, I just have to remember!

I have decided to do my high carb day tomorrow. My daughter just made cookies for my DH for his birthday and I am going to have one. LOL I am also going to eat fruit and chocolate and whatever comes along that is not wheat (except the cookie). I expect Friday will be a low Ketone day and even take a while to get back if what Phinney said is true for me.
+++++++

Last edited by Aradasky : Wed, Aug-01-12 at 22:02.
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:18

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Appreciate you shareing this all with us. It's fascinating. Not sure I fully understanding all you are doing...but it's cool nonetheless.
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
I am deep in ketosis as I see it, i think I need to be sure to get my test in just before lunch, not first thing in the morning. Dairy has never bothered me. Also my fasting glucose was low.

Nancy, what is your goal if you combine them?

Deeper ketosis and more (stored) fat burning. I'm already doing JUDDD and I'm kind of enjoying my 500 calorie days now. As you've noted, those times when you don't eat, the ketosis gets crazy high. Your ketosis is usually around .4-.6 isn't it? I thought that was just barely into NK. Wasn't NK .5 - 5? I forgot now!

The reason I asked about dairy and insulin is because insulin might be part of what is keeping fat locked away in fat cells.

When I do this, I'll try it without dairy. That'll be a challenge since dairy fat is so easy to use and other sources not so much. I'll just need to use a lot of butter based sauces, or ghee, depending on how fanatical I get. Oh... bacon. Lots of bacon!
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 10:50

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

[QUOTE=I took this again at about 5:30 am, before coconut oil and coffee w/cream. I will take it again (using up expensive strips! Lol ) before I eat lunch just to see when I should take it so I can get a good reading on the day.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, I think this is a great idea. It may just be the timing, ketones going up after a high-fat meal (or drink, in your case).
But how do we know we are burning our stored fat, and not just the recently ingested fat? Sorry, I am a bit challenged with the science of it all.