Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 11:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMan
Arrgghhh!!! Don't do it!!

Agreed! 100%
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:15

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Agreed! 100%

I would usually agree, but it is an experiment, and I'm curious to see what this does to her level of ketosis and how long it takes to recover.
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I completely forgot how Coconut and MCT oil convert to ketones very quickly. Definitely don't test after eating them!
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMan
Arrgghhh!!! Don't do it!!

Actually this makes me feel more ok about posting pictures of the off-the-scale carb-fest my co-workers staged in the office today. I had to have the willpower dialed way up all day. Photos in my journal definitely XXX for low carbers...

LOL, too late, I am posting my gorge in under DAY 18 message # 133.

I am so full.....
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 14:01

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

In The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, Volek and Phinney say that your Ketones readings will rise as the day progresses (so morning should be your lowest reading), after a low carb meal (I've never tried testing right after a meal..or like an hour after) and after exercising.
So you could also be getting a higher number because you drank/ate something and it was later when you tested. I'm sure the coconut oil upped it a lot but it might not be the entire reason for the higher number.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 14:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Arlene, I would be interested to see you go on Atkin's Fat Fast and then test your ketones....
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 15:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglgrl
In The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, Volek and Phinney say that your Ketones readings will rise as the day progresses (so morning should be your lowest reading), after a low carb meal (I've never tried testing right after a meal..or like an hour after) and after exercising.
So you could also be getting a higher number because you drank/ate something and it was later when you tested. I'm sure the coconut oil upped it a lot but it might not be the entire reason for the higher number.

Exactly how I read that section of the book. I am going to continue testing just before lunch, after my fat breakfast. It seemed the best time for me.
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 15:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
Arlene, I would be interested to see you go on Atkin's Fat Fast and then test your ketones....

I don't even want to get close to that one.....

Why don't you???
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 07:34

BF:

DAY 19 August 3, 2012

Weight 151.8*
Glucose 104*
Ketones .3**

1348 Calories (NOT hungry!)
25 g carbs (15 net)
65 g protein
113 g fat

*This was not unexpected after yesterday's gorge. I woke up with a slight headache that coffee quickly eased. I am back with my three cups of coffee, HWC and coconut oil for breakfast and will take my glucose and ketone levels later this AM.
** This was a normal glucose after eating a piece of bacon/// I am NOT in Nutritional Ketosis anymore. Now the question is how long it will take for me to get back there.
I have easily slipped back into what I call my normal way of eating.

Last edited by Aradasky : Fri, Aug-03-12 at 21:56.
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 07:59
Experimenter

BF:

I wouldn't bother taking your ketone levels AFTER taking coconut oil. They'll be elevated. IMHO that isn't going to reflect your NK status at all.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 14:34

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I finally ordered the blood ketone tester yesterday but meanwhile am still using the pee-on sticks. I have noticed a definite darkening (higher reading) after consuming coconut oil and this might happen with other fats, too. Reading was lower after exercise. Presumably I used up some ketones working out so less thrown out by kidneys? So morning before I eat is the best time to get an accurate blood test of what my ketosis state really is?
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 15:18
Experimenter

BF:

Definitely before using any MCT or coconut oil. I think regular long or short chain FA's won't hit the blood quite so quickly.
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 15:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wouldn't bother taking your ketone levels AFTER taking coconut oil. They'll be elevated. IMHO that isn't going to reflect your NK status at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I finally ordered the blood ketone tester yesterday but meanwhile am still using the pee-on sticks. I have noticed a definite darkening (higher reading) after consuming coconut oil and this might happen with other fats, too. Reading was lower after exercise. Presumably I used up some ketones working out so less thrown out by kidneys? So morning before I eat is the best time to get an accurate blood test of what my ketosis state really is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Definitely before using any MCT or coconut oil. I think regular long or short chain FA's won't hit the blood quite so quickly.

All I know is that I found the best reading after my coffee w/cream and coconut oil in the mornings.

As you can see, I did NOT show high levels of ketones after this mornings normal coffee, cream and coconut oil taken at the same time as usual.
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 16:00
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
DAY 18 August 2, 2012

XXXXX RATED for low carbers
Weight 150.4 (I am trying high carb for Nutritional Ketosis and hope I get a leptin reset)
I started my high carb day this morning, I did not take any blood tests. I will just before lunch when I have decided to. I am going to list my food but not strictly count calories or carbs. I will keep a carb count going in my app and am going to try to get to 250 – 300 carbs with fruit, chocolate and a cookie.

1 coconut flour blueberry (double berries!oh my gosh!!!) muffin C 7g (3 net) then
banana, brussel sprouts, grapes, two pcs flat bread w/peanut butter (At this point, it is noon here and I am SOOOO full !! at 95 carbs (81 net carbs).

I tested glucose-111 which is normal for everything I have been eating and Ketones, at this time of day it has been over 1 and even close to 2 and it was .3, showing I am not in NK.

I added a peach, brusselsprouts, 1/2 cob of incredibly sweet corn, hamburger bun,almonds, two cookies and some chocolate. Oh my. I can't say exactly, but I am pretty sure I am over 200 carbs and heaven only knows the calories... That is all. I cannot force anything more in.....

I do not feel any different, tired, but after getting dinner organized and pretty much ready for all of us,that is to be expected. We had the BEST hamburgers and corn.

So now we see what happens tomorrow.

Verrrry Interesting! in my best Colonel Klink imitation.
Now I'm going to keep a watch on you!
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 20:56

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Whenever my new meter arrives I'm thinking to try and test when my worst time of day is, whenever the ketones would be their lowest, which is sounding like it would be in the morning before food. I'm curious to know if my body maintains a state of nutritional ketosis even in the absence of coconut oil or other stuff that would prompt ketosis. The urine test sticks suggest I do, but it will be interesting to do the more accurate test with the meter and see if it confirms that or not.