Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-01, 17:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Offensive Language! Sorry!

i hate to sound like a fuddy-duddy, but i guess at heart i am. i was brought up a in a very strict Roman Catholic home. i think i'm more liberal than my mom, but i guess when it comes right down to it, i'm my mom! isn't that every woman's biggest fear! anyway, the point i'm bringing up is offensive language. now i realize that what is offensive really depends on the person. i decided after some careful thought to mention here that i was offended by a word i read in a post. the word was the "a" word referring to someones' bum. when i was growing up that was a washing your mouth out with soup word. especially with "stupid" preceding it. i still find it offensive in everyday language. i know i must sound really picky and fussy to everyone, but it really bothers me. it bothers me that people say he** and d*mn on tv all the time now. i've heard worse too later at night. it's different watching a video that's been rated "R". you know what to expect. tv was supposed to be family viewing.

i'm sorry for going on and on. my intentions are not to offend anyone here. i think too highly of you all! i'm just asking, in respect of me, to please not use these words.

thanks for listening!
love debbie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-01, 17:46

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

yes this forum is 99.9% squeaky clean...lol...i--being a VERY---how can you say?--------verbally expressive italian girl....i tend to censor the heck out of myself in here!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-01, 19:28

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

hehehe Sherry...and I the irish/german/danish (can you say temper?) girl that I am try very hard to watch what I type on the internet. No telling how many kids read over their parents shoulders so I try to watch it.

No offense taken Debbie and thanks for letting us know!

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 10:07

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I hope I haven’t offended anyone! I try to watch myself too! Ha! I was always told “no wonder you can get so angry…your Cherokee/ Apache/Irish/German “ I just can’t help my temper sometimes! Ha!
LRRAINE
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 11:25

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Oh Debbie, Debbie, Debbie...

...the Catholic guilt is working!

I find this forum to be a refuge from the usual illiterate internet gabble chock full of foul language and veiled threats of revenge against anyone who speaks up against it.

I had never posted anywhere until I got here. I just could not stomach interacting with so many morons out there!

Thank you for upholding those old time principles. I have to constantly patrol my own mouth because things just slip out due to the tolerance bar being so *^#(~*#&$ high these days. It's especially noticeable if we're around little kids; we don't have any of our own, so we really notice how dreadful our language can be when we are in the presence of our friends' kids.

I'm with ya girl!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 11:57

BF:
Progress:
Talking

You know I...I have quit SSSOOOO many news groups because I was ATTACKED there! There was very little support...just a bunch of people who think there way is the only and will attack you behind the face of a computer...and you know, in your heart, they would NEVER say a word in real life...face to face! It just takes away from what your want and are trying to do!

I've said it before...and I say it again and again! I LOVE IT HERE! And would NEVER want to hurt anyone! If I do…please speak up!

LRRAINE
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 15:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Lorraine, you couldn't be offensive if you tried. You're such a sweetie .. . And debbie, you're a sweetie too, and I for one will be glad when the chaos settles in your world, and you're able to get here and post more often. All the new members haven't had a chance to meet your big smile yet.

For the record, I am the author of the offense, in a humourous post in the Lighter Side forum. I am careful to keep discussions to "family entertainment" throughout the rest of the forum, but I have felt that I could relax a little, and let my hair down in the joke and humour pages. As with every word I type to this forum, it's done with the knowledge that some will disagree or disapprove ... but offense is never intended. And nobody, not Debbie or anyone should feel the need to apologise for saying how you really feel. I think very highly of you too!

As an artist and writer, of course I have strong feelings about censorship and freedom of speech. On the other hand, I would be the first to object if I saw racial, sexual or other hateful, derogatory terms. I had a personally devastating run-in with censorship last fall, in a fiction writing course. It was the opposite of this though. One person objected to my story (I suggested the unmarried couple took a shower together ... no description .. just the sound of running water) Nobody else in the class spoke up; the critique went on and on and on. I couldn't even look at my creation again for 3 weeks ... until the rewrite was due to be handed in. I finally looked at the pages, and on the backs, every other member of the class wrote such beautiful words of encouragement, they loved it, don't change a single thing....

Of course I will respect your feelings and have no desire to offend anyone. But I and my post remain unabashedly and unapologetically me.

luv from Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 15:51

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Doreen! You’re a sweetie yourself!

Allot of my drawings are offensive to people. I’ve even had people say really hurtful thinks to me about them. Oh well there…It’s who I am. I do have some that I wouldn’t let my kids…or family see…due to the fact of being, well…X rated to a degree?
ALSO…
I have a stack of jokes that would make a sailor blush! Matter a fact…at one of the salons I worked for we had a sign that read “if you can bring us a GOOOD joke that we don’t have…well give you $2.00 off you service!” We collected allot of jokes…and I copied all! ha! I love jokes…and I do like the dirty ones. I will say this…because of some reactions from clients…we kept it behind the front desk in a folder that read "MAY BE VERY OFFENSIVE TO SOME!!”…that way if they proceeded…they did so at there own risk! Maybe we could put rating on our jokes…kinda like movies? Or another section for these kind? That way you know what your getting into…and it would be less of a shock for some. Food for thought! If we do that…I’ve got some GOOOOOD ONES! Hee hee! I haven’t posted any out of…Um, well…. Fear…I guess?!! So are REALLY bad…BUT FUNNY! So I would need to know how far I could take this! HEE HEE!

LRRAINE
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 16:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

rainny, I have a portfolio of portraits and drawings that I hide away when mother comes to visit too ... many from life-drawing courses at a local college. And many are self-acceptance drawings of myself. Nothign like learning to love your own body by drawing exactly what you see in the mirror.

In another group I post to, we respectfully place in the header that the content is Xrated or "dirty joke" or PG13 ... also, the spiritual and devotional and religious is so indicated, so that those of other beliefs can choose to not read those as well. Experience is that everybody pretty much reads everything ..

I would love to see more of your work, if the drawing you posted earlier is just an example. I bought a digital camera so I can take pictures of my stuff .. most of my work is 22 x 30 inches, so too big for a scanner ... but a photo can be cropped and shrunk down to "viewing size".

But my computer isn't behaving, and I've already had to uninstall my scanner and other imaging software. Someday though ... ... Ya ya, she says,

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 17:40

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks for being so understanding everyone! i know that you're all my good friends here. i don't mind a dirty joke, i even will tell them, depending on the company. i guess i just think of this as kind of a general forum, an all ages kind of place. i thank you all for respecting my feelings! btw, i'm irish/italian! i can get a real temper on me too! i'm usually just to happy to be bothered getting angry
love debbie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 17:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

O.K., now I rember a few months ago someone suggested a new smiley logo for a group hug I forgot about, but it's time to find one or make one

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 18:10

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Gosh Wa'il! You haven't done that yet?!?!?!?!?

Just kidding ya, we know you are workin' your behind off, and doing a great job on the board.

Thanks a million!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 18:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

Awwh, now I need to work on a blush smilie too!

Thanks AC

Wa'il
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 19:02

BF:
Progress:

[B][/QUOTE][Nothing like learning to love your own body by drawing exactly what you see in the mirror.][B][/QUOTE]

Oh I think I would freak myself out right now if I did that!ha!

So...is it okay to post some really bad ones {jokes} if we put it in the header?

I'll dig out some more of my pic's... What size in inches or pixels is the best to post with you think?

I know what you mean about computers behaving! I had switched to millennium and me...I couldn't run any of my are or photo programs!! DROVE ME NUTS!! I went back to windows 95!ha!
have you used Bryce? I'm REALLY thinking about buying that. I'm self taught on this computer...so I don't know if its something that will frustrate me or not. I usually catch on pretty quick.
My hubby has been trying to crack it! ha!...He's something else!

I'll be waiting for those pictures!!
LRRAINE
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 00:04

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Hmmm....

Tricky one.

I would never want to hurt anyone's feelings. At the same time, I realize that what might be perfectly innocuous, or even beneficial, to one person might be offensive to someone else. It all depends on one's point of view.

Personally, I don't mind being offended once in a while. Maybe because I lived in England for some time, where verbal sparring is a form of art .... I never got very good at it, but I came to realize the game is to give back as good as you get. Not that I'm advocating such 'games' on this forum, mind you!

I am a student of the English language, and I've studied the history of some of the words that many people object to. (In fact, the 'a' word that Doreen mentions above derives from a proto-Indo-European root and can be found in the works of Shakespeare.) These words have fascinating origins, and, in my opinion, can be used in fascinating ways. Having said that, they can also be used in unimaginative, stultifying, and, yes, sometimes intentionally hurtful ways.

I appreciate that some people might, on occasion, object to my use of language. I usually try to be 'tasteful,' but if an occasional 'a' word or 's' word slips out .... well .... there it is.

I'm all for the group hug! I think it goes like this:

(((((((((((((hug))))))))))))

Rachel