Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 02:29

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Pregnancy weight gain 'going unmeasured' in the UK

Quote:
From the BBC
London, UK
18 September, 2018

Pregnancy weight gain 'going unmeasured'

Midwives are calling for official guidance on how much weight is healthy for women to put on during pregnancy.

One in five women in the UK are obese when they start pregnancy, yet there is no national target for what constitutes normal pregnancy weight gain.

Regular weigh-ins fell out of favour in the 1990s when it was suggested that they cause pregnant women unnecessary anxiety for little or no clinical gain.
Officials say they are considering whether to reintroduce them.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is reviewing its weight advice for pregnancy.

Its current guidelines say weight and height should be measured at the first appointment, but not repeatedly during pregnancy as a matter of routine.
US guidelines do recommend keeping track of weight gain, and set clear targets:

Institute of Medicine Weight Gain Recommendations for Pregnancy

Underweight - gain 28-40lb (12.7-18.1kg) during pregnancy
Normal Weight - gain 25-35lb (11.3-15.9kg)
Overweight - gain 15-25lb (6.8-11.3kg)
Obese - gain 11-20lb (5-9.1kg)

NICE says it is considering whether to adopt the same recommendations in its new advice, which is still in the early phases of planning - meaning it is unlikely to be published before 2019.

Its current guidelines advise against dieting when pregnant, but do say pregnant women should avoid "eating for two". Energy needs do not change in the first six months of pregnancy and increase only slightly in the last three months, when mothers-to-be need around 200 extra calories per day.
Mandy Forrester from the Royal College of Midwives (RCM) said some UK midwives were already using the US weight guidelines, but that others did not have access to weighing scales.

"There is a clear need for midwives to have the tools, guidance and training they need so they can offer women the best possible support and care. This is especially pressing because of the potentially serious complications that can arise in pregnancy as a result of women being overweight or obese."
Women who are obese (with a BMI over 30) when they become pregnant face an increased risk of complications such as gestational diabetes, miscarriage and pre-eclampsia.

Being over or underweight during pregnancy might also have a negative impact on the baby, according to research.

The comments from the RCM come as a new study published in the journal Diabetologia says either too much or too little weight gain during pregnancy is linked with adverse outcomes in children aged seven years.

The Hong Kong study looked at 905 mothers and their children, and found health problems such as high blood pressure and poorer blood sugar control.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45558294

Quote:
From The Guardian
London, UK
19 September, 2018

Pregnancy weigh-ins were stopped in the 90s – and they’re still a bad idea

Yes, talk about healthy diets and weighing if there’s a problem, but calls to make this mandatory are misguided

In the latest “pregnant women are doing it all wrong” news, the weigh-in may return in an effort to stop Britain’s expectant mums piling on too many pounds.

Midwives stopped weighing pregnant women in the 1990s because there wasn’t any clinical evidence to suggest it made a difference to the health of the woman or their baby. In fact, regular weighing was thought to cause stress and anxiety.

This week the Royal College of Midwives has responded to a new study with another call for women to be given official targets for how much weight they can gain. The study, published in Diabetologia, the journal of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, looked at mother-child pairs and found that the seven-year-olds of mothers who gained too little or too much weight in pregnancy tended to have increased risk of high blood pressure and poor body sugar control. The RCM repeated its concern that some midwives “do not have access to that most basic piece of equipment, scales”.

Healthy eating is great. A balanced diet is ideal. As many of us are now overweight, we could probably do with taking on food writer Michael Pollan’s adage: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” The more healthy kids, the better, of course. But weigh-ins smack of a paternalistic, condescending attitude towards women, particularly pronounced in the reproductive health areas of this country, which needs to change. I saw this for the first time when I entered the world of pregnancy and motherhood and a new wing of healthcare. You may have brilliant interactions – and/or you may be treated like a stupid child and given odd, false, conflicting advice.

There are many things I didn’t realise until I experienced pregnancy. Sometimes you feel so sick you can only stomach mashed potato and pickled onion-flavour Monster Munch – for weeks on end. In the early months, protein or fresh vegetables might make you extremely nauseous, even though you know you should eat them. Or you have to eat a Rich Tea biscuit every half hour to prevent multiple vomiting. Then, one month, you might suddenly put on half a stone, even if you think you’re eating normally. As well as the weight of the baby, you are carrying extra blood, extra stored protein and fat, other extra body fluids, larger breasts, larger uterus, plasma volume, amniotic fluid and the placenta, which is an entire organ. Your metabolism slows to a sluggish chug, and exercise is harder.

There is enough to worry about in pregnancy than the fear of failing to meet weight-gain targets which don’t have enough evidence for their existence in the first place. Pregnancy is wonderful, but it is also weird and frightening. Even for those who are beyond grateful for it, it can be a distressing, depressing and isolating time. Woefully little is known about antenatal depression, anxiety and other mental disorders, but it is thought about one in 30 pregnant women will have this. Weigh-ins will cause more stress anxiety, shame and guilt – and there is enough “mum guilt” to come for most when the baby is born.

These are the changes that would help women antenatally and postnatally: less pressure to have a natural birth without pain relief, a balanced attitude towards infant feeding with less demonising of formula milk, more education in antenatal classes about the emotional and psychological transition into motherhood – matrescence – and how hormonal and neural changes can affect mood, which can affect how we eat. Seeing the same midwife all the way through. Accurate information without bias. So, for weight gain, it’s quite easy to find out that an expectant mother needs 200 calories a day extra in the final trimester. I’ve not conducted a study on it but I’m pretty sure most people don’t actually believe the “eating for two” myth even if many don’t know exactly how many calories they should be getting.

The RCM and Slimming World issued a call for a guideline on what constitutes a safe weight gain in pregnancy in the UK. At the moment, it said, midwives have to rely on their own initiative and use US guidance, and sometimes they’re embarrassed to weigh pregnant women. Guidelines are fine. Talk about healthy diets and weighing if there seems to be a problem. But official, regular weigh-ins are patronising, stressful and suggest women aren’t intelligent enough to look after their own bodies. It’s an overly simplistic and shaming effort to solve the extremely complex and sociopolitical problem of obesity.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ollege-midwives
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 06:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This is so complicated.

I was just learning Atkins when I was working on getting pregnant. He said do not diet during pregnancy. IMHO this sends an incomplete message. I ate lots of good foods, even green beans for breakfast when blood glucose was too high, but I missed how to keep the total calories down when I was a carb addict ( only when in ketosis can I control my eating.) Endocrinologist was not supportive nor helpful, only critical, so I was relieved when I could not get pregnant again, as I didn't want to have to go back and face his dissing thru another pregnancy.

In the 18 years since starting DANDR, I have not seen this change. We need more studies to prove that a pregnant mom in ketosis is ok.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 07:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Back in the 1970s the low-end of the "Institute of Medicine Weight Gain Recommendations for Pregnancy" was the gain considered optimal (25 lb gain for a normal weight woman, which most were in the 1970s) and nobody was suggesting the high end (35 gain lbs) was a good idea.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 19:00

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm not a woman, nor am I pregnant (duh!).

But I do have a fairly well-functioning brain, so Ima put my two cents in here. My first cent goes to the presumption that women also have a fairly well-functioning brain, and that they use it. So, Ima throw this out there as an idea to consider.

If ya eat good for yarself, then dontcha eat good for yar kid too? It ain't the weight, it's the food. Imagine all those generations of women before you, did they use a scale to weigh themselves every day to check their weight and conform to some official guideline some douchebag with a doctorate wrote cuz he could write? Nah, but they certainly knew all about food and about cooking and about giving birth and about feeding a kid and all that stuff.

OK, so you're a woman, you went low-carb, you're on this forum reading and writing, asking and giving advice, sharing your experience with other women, and you're pregnant or gave birth and have kids and all that jazz. But most importantly, your health improved in myriad ways when you went low-carb. And maybe you made your kids suffer horribly, and they got real sad and angry when you switched them to low-carb too. But most importantly, their health improved in myriad ways when you did that.

My second cent goes to this dumass quote:
Quote:
Healthy eating is great. A balanced diet is ideal. As many of us are now overweight, we could probably do with taking on food writer Michael Pollan’s adage: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

Ya, dumass quote, like I said. Ima substitute something in there like so.

Eat food. Mostly fat meat. As much as you want, dear.

See what I did there? Mom told me a story about giving birth to one of us, where immediately after, she asked for a big steak, and when she got that big steak she picked it up with her bare hands and just murdered it (I'm paraphrasing). I also vaguely remember reading a few stories about vegan parents who killed their kid by following that idjit Pollan's advice in that dumass quote up here (i.e. if mostly plants is good, then only plants is best, then it's also best for my kid, ya?). I certainly remember clearly not ever having read anything of the sort about low-carb parents who killed their kid by following some other famous person's advice about that, say like Atkins or Eades or Eenfeldt.

So there, two cents for ya. In the end, it's your body and your kid, you do what you wanna, and Ima cook that steak so good, dear. As a side note, here's an easy recipe for your dumass significant other who can't cook for the life of you, but it's awesome I promise. 1lb of ground meat (beef, pork, whatever, doesn't matter), 1/4lb of butter, cook to medium, add 1 can of whole tomatoes, some seasonings if you want (lots of salt is really good for this, some cumin, a bit of pepper, whatever you like), bring to a quick boil, serve, eat. This makes two very large bowls, which you could just eat up on your own, screw your dumass significant other, he can cook some more for himself later.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 19:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

When women ate real food, without restricting calories or going high carb low fat, they could rely on their appetites to eat enough for themselves and baby. But once they started eating tons of carbs, screwed up their insulin & other hormones, their appetites went bonkers and cravings for more carbs went through the roof.