Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 15:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/210/140 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default ive put on weight Help!

Hi everyone, this is my sixth week on the atkins diet i am still on induction, I have stuck to all the rules and not cheated at all, i have lost 13 pounds up till this week and now this week i have put on 3 pounds. It is unbelievable to me im so upset about it, i was looking forward to the scales being at least another pound down, i am so disapointed. I can see no reason for this weight gain , like i have said before i have PCOS, i dont know if this is something to do with it, i have always had trouble loosing weight. I just wondered if any of you had experianced the same. i look forward to seeing your advice, thanks for your support
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 15:44

Plan: .
Stats: 000/000/000 Male .
BF:
Progress: 84%

Try drinking a lot of water today - 0 carbs (i.e. not cream, no sweetener, no "allowed" foods that have even trace carbs) and limit salt intake, then weigh yourself again first thing tomorrow morning. This 3 pound gain may be related to water retention (especially if you ate something particularly salt packed yesterday or even some hidden carbs from sausage, spenda brand sweetener, cream, etc).

Just a thought....

ETA: Are you on Atkins '72 induction (DADR or DANDR?)

Last edited by ethang : Fri, Jul-25-08 at 15:48. Reason: one more thing
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 15:46

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Sweetie, please don't freak.

3 pounds can come up on you overnight (heck throughout the day) due to TOM, sodium, hidden carbs.

Going down in weight is not a straight drop. it's a roller coaster.

Don'w be upset. This is normal. Have you eaten anything with filler or sodium (even celery?)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 15:28

BF:
Progress:

It is a gradual creep up in weight i gain half a pound a day, today i havnt eaten any carbs at all and ive drank loads of plain water to see if i can get past this. but i check everything i eat and never go over 20g carbs, i dont eat anything processed incase i eat hidden carbs. I will keep on with because i am also diabetic and my sugar readings have been so good since i have been on this diet, i no longer need to take insulin. thanks for your advice i will keep you posted as to how i get on
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 15:30

BF:
Progress:

ethang , thanks for the advice i do have sweetners i will try leaving them out
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 15:30
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

GAWD; I've gained 5 to 6 lbs overnight!
Then lost it again.
Overnight.

I know it can send you, but it seems more common than not.

Keep on track and it'll even out.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 05:28
Registered Member

Stats: 425/335/200 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 40%
i weigh myself every sunday - my little sister weighs her self every day, several times a day, before meals, after meals... just make sure you don't take her approach - its discouraging weighing yourself everyday. make sure you do it in the morning - get up go to the bathroom and weigh yourself - once a week. hidden carbs can be killers - also be sure to measure - foods with very few carbs can add up fast if you aren't paying attention. do you use ketosix? those can help its pretty easy to use, just pee on it and if it turns pink you're good and if not - you've had too many carbs. they helped me a lot when i was on induction.

just a note- you said you are doing atkins and have been on induction for 6 weeks - i could be wrong but that sounds like an awfully long time.

jem
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 13:34

Plan: m&e
Stats: 172/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:burn it off, baby!
Progress: 43%

I agree with syndrome x. Don't weigh yourself every day. Once a week is good, (same day, same time.) And yes, please realize that it's normal to go up sometimes. Do not let it get to you. Don't give up, keep doing low carb and you will start seeing results again.