Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252.6/252.6/175 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wonder if I can just quit taking my statins after being on them for a number of years? I keep muscle and joint pain. Just wondering should I talk to my doctor first???

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 16:33

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Absolutely consult your doctor! But make sure he understands that you are in charge and that you intend to give up the statins.

Then ask him the best way to go about doing that.

There is nothing wrong with (good) cholesterol. It's what all your cells are made from!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 16:37

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieJ925
I wonder if I can just quit taking my statins after being on them for a number of years? I keep muscle and joint pain. Just wondering should I talk to my doctor first???

Barb

Yes, see your doctor. Explain the problem. Tell him you want to get off these. You have choices. Doctors cant make you take these drugs if you dont want them. Might save another person from get a script from your doctor.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-18, 03:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sometimes the search function here brings up older threads in the research forum, relevant to your question but there also is another entire section with more about cholesterol, heart disease and statins.

If you enter the forum from this index page, you can see all the sub-forum topics and subjects like diabetes and heart disease are under General Health. http://forum.lowcarber.org

Much helpful info on heart disease and statins here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48.

And health information is available for any learning style...articles, books, and one I liked recently in either a Podcast or YouTube video, and new interview with Nina Teicholz specifically about Women and Heart Disease. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480783

Here is another thread on statins with many suggestions for learning, including a link to recent study to give your doctor. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480517

If "standard of care" using blood work truly indicates statins for you, then you should request a Coronary Artery Calcium Score to see what is actually going on in the arteries. Another long thread on that in the same sub-forum.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Oct-20-18 at 04:07.