Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-09, 22:00

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 238/218.5/158 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default metformin feeling sick

Hi I'm on extended realease metformin. I started at 500mg now up to 1000mg at bedtime. The weight is coming off much easier with it and I feel better. The only thing is it's sending me to the bathroom 4+ times a day and my stomach feels bad all day. It's kind of hard to deal with at school. Is this going to subside??? I have been on it about 2.5 weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/175/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Default Metformin

Hi! I started taking Metformin in October 2007. I had the same issues when I first began. It made me want to stop taking the drug. I stuck it out and everything subsided 2-3 weeks after I began- and regularly took- the drug. If you are as annoyed as I was, just remember it will pass and one day you will look back at your pre-metformin days and remember how much worse you felt. It should end soon, just make sure you are taking it when you are suppose to and be religious about it... it will pass... and it's worth it!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 09:59

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Truthfully, I think 2.5 weeks may not be enough time for it to regulate itself. Perhaps, in another month it should be fine. I'm no longer on Met, but I would be nauseous ALL day. My endo recommended eating it with meals. Not sure if you do this, but it's worth a try.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 15:22

BF:

No, I don't take it with meals. She advised me to take it direcly before bed and I don't eat right before sleeping. I'm thinking this is week 3, I'm a bit lost in my days...still the same. Today seems to be the worst...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.6/207/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think you should talk to your pharmacist.. on my prescription for metformin it says Take three times a day with food.. I too take 500mg each time. If I do not take it with food I feel ill.. Hope this helps
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 14:53

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 25%

I was on the standard version of metformin for PCOS for about 2 months before I changed over to the extended release one which I've been on for around a year. When I was on the standard version (1500mg/day) I had the same GI trouble as you but when I went to the extended release one (again 1500mg/day) this got a lot better. It still took another month or so for all the GI issues to fully settle down but after those 4 weeks I've had no trouble at all. I've spoken to other people who've taken it for PCOS and in some people the GI troubles have never settled down. Metformin seems a funny drug that way.

My doctor and pharmacist advised me to take it with my evening meal and this helped me a lot with the nausea and reduced the bathroom visits!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 15:17
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 255/193/175 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 78%

It took me about a month or maybe a little longer to get used to it, and at first I took it with meals. Now I take it an hour or 2 after and I don't get sick.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 20:26

BF:

Oh I forgot to say that it's the extended release kind. I have no gallbladder so I have stomach issues to start with. I'm not sure if that's going to make things worse.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 22:16
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 255/193/175 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 78%

Yah..it might...I would take it with food then and hopefully you will adapt to it like I did.