Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 16:17

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 148/135/132
BF:
Progress: 81%
Angry Feeling low

hi everybody,

today is my fifth day on atkins progam........and still not into ketosis...though my daily carb. intake is less than 20 gms.....i am taking diet soda with my meals and sweetner in my tea and decaf coffee........is this the reason for not being in ketosis ??????????? please help......i am taking strict intake of carb. content.....though ...has not shown any results...in 5 days. i have only 16 pounds to loose...but will it help within 14 days......i am not even loosing in inches......so thats a problem as well.......please help.......and guide me.......as for how to approach it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 16:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to lowcarb.ca Pooja!

I looked at your profile and you have not indicated that you have read the Atkins book. Trying to put together a low carb program without any information is very difficult to do.

With a little weight to lose it takes longer, but percentage-wise you will be losing as much as anyone else. There are great benefits to this program as well as weight loss.

You may want to give us an indication of what you are eating by starting journal in the Journal Forum and we can point out any trouble spots.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 16:42

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

pooja u need to be PATIENT with urself. some people lose faster than others.. i personally lose approx 5lb/month. i don't mind that it's slow, as long as there is some progress..and as karen said, there are many other health benefits other that weight loss by lowcarbing... heck even if this diet didn't help lose weight at all, i'd still lowcarb for my increased energy alone
please read the atkins book if u haven't already, drink lots and lots of water, try not to use aspartame (use splenda instead for sweetener) and try not to eat too many processed meats compared to unprocessed meats. Also, it takes your body about 2 days to adjust to lowcarb..so in effect think of urself as having lowcarbed for 3 days ONLY which is so little. i hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 16:49

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 148/135/132
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Feeling low

dear karen ,

thanks for your reply.....i have got full atkins program...with video and audio tapes....basic diet manual...carb. calculator.....i have been eating as per the specifications and guidelines given in his program.

though, i have sweet tooth...but ever since past 5 days...i dont have any craving for sweets......i drink plenty of water ...may be more than 15 glases a day.......is that the reason...ktone stixs are not turning purple.

pls advise
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-01, 18:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Ketones and Ketone Test Strips

Hello Pooja, and welcome to the forum!

Ketostix are just a guide. Some people never show even a trace and yet lose weight. Chances are if you're drinking a lot of water you wont see much change. Add to that, if you're active you will see even less. There is a great article by Doreen under Low Carb Tips all about Ketones. You should read it.

Cheers,
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 07:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome pooja! i'm one of those people who don't register ketones on the strips! i know when i'm in ketosis, by my decreased appetite and lack of carb cravings. i don't even bother with the stix anymore!