Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 14:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/300/210
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Greetings Y'all...

A little history:

In March 2000, I was 313 lbs. I went on the Atkins diet for 2 months (no cheating at all) and lowered my weight down to 278 lbs.

I ALMOST LOST MY MIND. At that point, I had some SERIOUS cravings for carbs. So, I jumped off the wagon and have spent the last 18 months eating as many carbs as I could find. I brought myself up to 320 lbs.

I went on the Atkins diet about 3 weeks ago and am now back down to 300 lbs. HOWEVER, I'm beginning to get the cravings and want some brownies and toast!!!

How do I get over the cravings? I have no problem believing in the diet. IT works!! I did it myself, however, it just seems impossible to stay on it without loosing my mind.

Any suggestions?

Curtis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 16:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just stick with it and if you transgress, go back to low-carb immediately.

It's taken me a bit over two years to get to the point where I rarely have cravings, and if I do, I know it's now physiological and usually caused by having eaten too many carbs the day before.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 23:16
Registered Member

Plan: Attkins
Stats: 210/198/165 Female 5'6 1/2''
BF:
Progress: 27%

Curtis, Welcome to the forum.

I have found that this is a great place of encouragemenet and ideas. Tell your self you can do with out that brownie. Brownies are some of my fav food. But I can do with out them. They are death to my body. Too much weight is not healthy, so brownies are not healthy. but LC eating is healthy.

Stay focused and eat lots of the right food. So that you are not hungry. And remember drink lots of water.

karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 02:50

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Also, there is a good article in the tips section about dealing with cravings

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips007.html

Raven
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 11:26

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Don't know if this will help, but when I quit smoking I carried a bottle of water with me everywhere. Whenever I got the urge to smoke, I took a sip of water. After a while I associated the urge to smoke with 'I'm thirsty' instead -- it really worked well for cigarette cravings -- might work for carb cravings also.

I don't really crave bread, but I do crave chocolate sometimes. I keep Canfield's Diet Fudge Soda at home and one at work. Today someone brought in brownies for a treat, and if I feel an overwhelming urge for chocolate, I can drink my Canfield's Diet Fudge instead of eating a brownie. (I've only had 3 cans in the past 3 months, and it does not seem to have any bad affect).