Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo and Keto
Stats: 224/215/147 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Weird blood result

I have been feeling dreadful, major joint issues.

Since Aug: stiff neck, occiptal head pain and more recently in the morning my elbows, knees and ankles have been stiff and the last two weeks my ankles have swollen.

Went to GP and routine TSH check along with other things to check for issues arising.

ESR is slightly elevated but not abnormal but my TSH has come back at 9.6 (range 0.5 - 5.0) This is virtually the same as my result prior to diagnosing my hypothyroidism.

Its usually around 0.1 or even a little less 0.05 which is usually ok for me.

My dosage is 200mcg....already. GP suggesting increase to 250mcg

Personally I feel I may have developed resistance to T4

Anyone any ideas how I can move forward from here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 08:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, that's a big dose. I've never heard of people becoming resistant to thyroid meds, what's your doctor say about that?

Maybe you're not absorbing them well. Do you have any intestinal issues? You could try letting them dissolve in your mouth. Are you taking them properly? Don't take them within 4 hours of eating or with other supplements. Calcium and I think fiber can hamper their utilization.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 09:18
Registered Member

BF:

I think it could be the brand. I changed just after my last meds. I did not want to but the pharmacy said they could not get me goldshield anymore so have been taking Tema.

I just spoke to the thyroid organisation and she said its becoming more common that people are having problems with generics.

I have written a letter to GP to see if they can prescribe me goldshield so that I can get it. I have asked for a prescription of eltroxin. I'd rather pay for something that works.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I have had problems with generics. When the pharmacy changed to a different generic, a lower dose then I usually take sent me into the hospital. I now have my dr write that they can only give me what he prescribes. Thats gotten me into trouble because the one I took was having manufacturing problems and I had to switch again. I hope it is the generic problem for you and not resistance.

This disorder sure is a pain sometimes!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 02:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for your feedback.
The doctor has issued a private script for me for Eltroxin so at least by end of today I'll have something else. My GP is not allowed to prescribe Eltroxin on the NHS only generics.
I was quite alarmed by it all to be honest. I have been so ill lately quite relieved it appears to be my thyroid acting up and not progressing to something else. All my symptoms pointed to RA so I was quite worried.

Thyroid org also said that stress can affect things. She explained about reverse T3.

At least for now I have meds I can rely on and I would not be surprised if I go hyper.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 21:46
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I was reading on about.thyroid.com website and it was saying the eltroxin has been reformulated recently and they have received huge numbers of complaints about side effects.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-09, 03:35
Registered Member

BF:

I did read something about that a while ago too.
Well, goodness knows where that will leave me then if 200mg of generic leveothyroxine is definately NOT working as it appears with my blood work result of TSH 9.6.

My last test on Eltroxin was 0.1 TSH I felt great! If they have reformulated it then I have no idea what I will do.

Yet again, this morning I woke up with the worst possible pain in my joints and could barely lift a book and was in agony going down the stairs. The stiffness!

Thankfully, the diet is going well, admittedly slow but I am losing for the first time ever properly, wierd considering blood test result. 10lbs in 3 weeks. I'm not hungry and managing to stick to it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-09, 08:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The only good thing about hypothyroidism is that it does take your appetite away. At least it did for me.