Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 16:23

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
Santabarb: I miss snacks but make green tea instead or slice myself some butter. So ok I love butter (shoot me), can eat it plain and sometimes just a thin sliver gets me over the feeling that I need a snack.

I'd shoot you but the bullet...well, my technology is kinda outdated. My nemesis on low carb is often butter and sometimes cream. I'm definitely going to try 'the butter snack" by Lisa in Edmonton. Certainly an OK winter snack for walking through the snow....

Cream with an itsy-witsy bit of stevia can tide a person over too--but stevia probably not OK on Anchell.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 16:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
I'll be interested to see how everyone does, too. I may go back to it myself. I never tested my fasting BG when on the Anchell diet. Since that's my yardstick these days, I'll have to give it a try sooner or later.

I started this because of meat and potato loving husband--he's happy as a clam and has lost 2 lbs since starting on Sunday evening, almost 3 days ago. He is very happy to be losing pounds on this particular Anchell meat-and -potato way and is thrilled with the simplicity of it. I'm thinking of buying him a meat grille for the office, as the microwave is only good for heating already cooked meat up.

I do not adore potatoes, dislike bananas, so have focussed on grapefruit, berries, brown rice and have gained 2/10ths of a pound. I miss my low carb veggies like tomatoes and avocado (yes, technically fruits) and cream in my coffee. Big benefit for me: the carbs make me sleep like a baby through the night. Carnivore WOE had gotten me on a 3 am wakeup schedule. I needed a break from too short 4-5 hr nights. Otherwise I was happy on the old ultra low carb way and am officially returning to it today.

Since I imagine the Dupont executives were middleaged white European males, this is probably perfectly suited to that demographic.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 08:29

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

I think the Anchell diet seems "liberal" in comparison to an all-meat diet, but a VLC diet with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables is "liberal" in comparison to the Anchell diet. I think that the reason why I eventually went off the Anchell diet is that I couldn't justify to myself not being able to have, for example, mushrooms with my steak, or roasted peppers, etc. These things add enjoyment to meals, and I found I was unwilling to forego them without a reason that I could make sense of. But I can't dispute that it worked for me.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 09:49

BF:

Quote:
I think the Anchell diet seems "liberal" in comparison to an all-meat diet, but a VLC diet with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables is "liberal" in comparison to the Anchell diet. I think that the reason why I eventually went off the Anchell diet is that I couldn't justify to myself not being able to have, for example, mushrooms with my steak, or roasted peppers, etc. These things add enjoyment to meals, and I found I was unwilling to forego them without a reason that I could make sense of. But I can't dispute that it worked for me.

No argument there. Still, husband is very jazzed about 'the eat as much meat as you like', took butter to his office for the first time ever in his life today, half a cooked chicken and a yam. He loved tri tip steak with blueberries for breakfast. So you've got a convert there. And best of all, no longer worries about me wasting time on the internet with all this food trivia! Thanks, ubizmo!

Incidently, this coincides with his desisting from cholesterol-lowering medications ordered by doctor. He was at 212 when put on them. Is intrigued to see if this more meat-based, fat-based, lower-carb way of eating won't lower cholesterol naturally.

BTW, does yam count as sweet potato in this Anchell context?
  #50   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 12:19

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Santabarb: Glad to hear this is working for your husband. Hang in there and it will work for you as well.

Dropped another pound and feeling energetic. Actually if you stick to it, you are not eating a lot. 1/2 pound of meat sounds like a lot but it's only a minimum of 8 ounces. Then you eat a small portion of an allowed food. That's it. So it's basically all the meat you can or want to eat diet with 2 to 3 servings of specified carbs. Sounds very paleo to me. Maybe this thread should move there.

One of the pluses is being able to eat grapefruit which is being discussed on another thread as being beneficial in weight loss.

Also, after 6 days on the program, I notice less inflammation which is a very big problem for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Hellistile : Thu, May-04-06 at 12:31.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 13:22

I guess a yam would count as a sweet potato.

The doc put your husband on cholesterol lowering meds for a reading of 212? Amazing.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 14:57
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

212 isn't very high on cholesterol at all! It seems totally irresponsible to me to put someone on meds because of that number.

Eating grapefruit is supposed to interact with certain medications, including statins for cholesterol-lowering. http://www.arizonacert.org/consumer...fruit-juice.htm.

What is interesting is that my friend's husband is eating grapefruit and discontinuing his cholesterol-lowering medication. http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...60213091300.htm.

Since grapefruit is one of the items allowed on Anchell, I'm thinking it could be used to get cholesterol down.

But, like I said, 212 is hardly cause for concern. Check out some reading on the cholesterol myth. http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cvd_index.html and http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 07:09

BF:

What kind of inflammation did it help with, Hellistile? I'm so glad you're seeing results. Soon you'll be at 200, a major milestone to pass, then onward and downward.

Jen, I've seen your posts before and appreciate that you are a smart dieter. I downloaded the ravnskov info on cholesterol myths a couple of days ago for my husband when you posted it--it's remarkable what unfettered minds who are not beholden to the pharmaceutical industry or the AMA can clearly deduce. I'm a big fan of Barry Groves and Second Opinion, too.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 10:01

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Santabarb: It is a crime that people with such low cholesterol stats should be placed on statins. My stats are much higher than that but when my doctor looked at the ratios, she said they were great and didn't seem alarmed enough to issue any warnings or meds. Another good site for you and your husband to visit is Omnivore.com. Lots of enlightening articles there as well and one of my personal favorites.
http://www.theomnivore.com/

Inflammation affects my joints, asthma and swelling of the ankles. This has improved.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 19:58

BF:

Thanks, Hellistile, I'll check it next time I get on. I'm headed to Pasadena in five minutes. So glad your inflamed joints and asthma and ankles are improving. That is terrific! You must feel really well, then! My fibromyalgia symptoms pretty much gone, eyes no longer bright red from allergies and dryness, gums no longer bleeding, mind is clearer. So yeah, some side improvements!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 07:33

BF:

ubizmo-
I came across this http://www.theomnivore.com/Straight...inbox%2014.html from Hellistile's link. Scroll down a bit and you'll see him address once a day eating and nighttime eating as salutary.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 09:38

Thanks for that link. I do look at Colpo's site, but missed that one. I may comment m when I get a chance, in the LCIF thread.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 07:46

BF:

My husband has lost 5 lbs in one week on Anchell. Pants are getting loose at the waist, face is thinner.

Breakfast: Flounder, butter, banana,
Lunch: Chicken leg and thigh, 1/2 red grapefruit
Dinner: Short ribs, 3/4 cup blueberries

That's as creative as it gets! This is oh so easy, that I fear Julia Child would be just a tad jealous at how quickly one gets out the kitchen.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 08:37

I'm glad your husband is doing well on it. I should be getting the other (1966) Anchell book soon, and I'll post any interesting differences or details.

Yes, this diet definitely isn't about haute cuisine.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 16:45

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 176/150/140 Female 64
BF:size 4 jeans
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I'm glad your husband is doing well on it. I should be getting the other (1966) Anchell book soon, and I'll post any interesting differences or details.

Yes, this diet definitely isn't about haute cuisine.

Is it a revised version of the 1966, or is it the original 1966 one? I have the original 1966 one (and yes, it SMELLS like it is that old, LOL).

Mine doesn't have the rice option but it does allow for cantaloupe. Also, it had more info on obesity in general (as in changing your eating habits). I think you'll find it has some of the same things, but additional info.

Looking forward to reading your comparison, it's been awhile since I read either The Steak Lover's Diet or How I Lost 36,000 Pounds.