Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 12:54

Plan: Atkins & gluten-free
Stats: 172/135/135 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default New, sort of...

I've been reading threads at this forum since I started Atkins last February and it's been a great help. I reached my goal weight in August and have been stable for 3 months now. More importantly, my blood pressure has started to come down (my doctor's happy about that) and my GERD has gone away.

Now that I've reached my goal size, shopping for clothes is fun again.

All in all, it's been an interesting journey that started with reading the article, What If It's Been a Big Fat Lie", on the NY Times website. I had tried Weight Watchers after my daughter was born and had found it frustrating because of the need to keep track of portion sizes and points. As well, I only managed to lose about 10 pounds and it all came back and then some after I gave up WW.

LC has been much easier to follow since I haven't felt hungry. I did Atkins induction, although I added apples back before the end of the two weeks to get fibre in my diet. And I didn't give up my routine of having a drink after work; instead of having a beer, I switched to a glass of red or white wine to keep the carb count low.

I decided to do Atkins without buying special products (except Splenda) and that I wasn't going to feel guilty if I cheated. I figured that if I was going to maintain this way of eating for the long term, I had to learn to cope with real food and holidays and going to restaurants. If I chose to have dessert or potatoes or rice, then I would be extra careful with carbs the next day to get back on track. If I was hungry after having rice, I would tell myself it was the carbs making me feel hungry and I would have a piece of cheese or I would wait for the hunger pangs to pass.

Even when I stalled, it was easy to stay with the diet since I could tell by the fit of my clothing that the weight was coming off. My theory is that the body retains water as it burns the fat and then the whoosh fairy visits and you lose two or three pounds in several days. At least that's how it worked for me.

I'm thrilled to have my old body back! It's been more than 20 years since I could fit into a size 8. My sister was so impressed, she decided to reduce her carb intake (without following Atkins) and has lost more than 10 pounds since the summer and my brother-in-law is down two sizes as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi there! Congratulations on your awesome success! It sounds like you have a great attitude about this way of life. Welcome to the forum. You are sure to be an inspiration to others.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 21:27

Plan: Atkins & gluten-free
Stats: 172/135/135 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Lori. Looking at your stats, it looks as if you're doing really well too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:49
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Welcome to the forum Wendy! Congrats on meeting goal! WTG!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:53
Registered Member

Stats: 157/157/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow Wendy-- you truly are an inspiration to the rest of us! Thanks so much for sharing your story; I can't speak for anyone else, but I can never hear enough success stories! Pure motivation, I say!

I wish you the best of luck as you continue this WOE!!!

Jen