Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 16:02

Plan:
Stats: 205/192/140
BF:
Progress:
Question

Looking for a low carb high protien bar that tastes good. Ang suggestions so far they all taste the same... I tried Desinger and also Pure Protien bars. They taste ok but nothing spectacular. Any suggetions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wintershope.jpg (6.5 KB, 342 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi there,

From what I understand the Ross's bars are the best so far. Look in this thread of my conversations with wa'il. The Ross's are in BC and I see you are too.

Wendy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 20:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi WinterHope, welcome to our forum

I don't use the protein bars myself, so can't give recommendations. Do be careful with them though, I've heard many, many lowcarbers say these bars will bring on a stall, and/or stop ketosis. They sometimes contain undisclosed carbs, or are sweetened with non-sugar substances such as glycerin or maltitol which don't cause a rise in insulin, but can act just like sugar in some folks.

The Ross bars that Wendy mentioned are chocolate candy bars, not protein meal-replacement bars. Haven't tried them either (I don't get out much .. ) but it's my understanding they are quite yummy, and relatively lowcarb. Again, an occasional indulgence.

Good luck in your search

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 20:42

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

The Ross bars are chocolate bars, not protein bars.

I don't think there are a whole lot of low carb protein bars available in Canada. They are usually pretty expensive too. I've only tried the Atkins bars (disgusting) and Protein Revolution (better than Atkins but still not worth the price).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-01, 09:10

Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:

What about homemade protein bars? Would they be a better choice because they don't have the glycerine? Is that what causes the stalling? Or is it just better to avoid them all together?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-01, 12:00
Forum Founder

BF:

hi Sue, and everybody,

Here is my take on the protein bars -

1. Some manufacturers use glycerine/glycerol as a sweetener. Glycerine is not classified as a carbohydrate for food labelling purposes, so these manufacturer do not include it in the total carb count in the nutrient data on the product. So, someone on Induction might choose one of these bars, thinking it only has 2 carbs, when in fact the true count might be 12 or 15 grams!

2. About glycerine/glycerol. This carb is rapidly absorbed, and is a preferred fuel for muscle tissue. It's often used in sports nutrition, since it provides ready-fuel during long workouts (especially distance runners and cyclists), without causing insulin to rise. The problem for lowcarbers who just want a mid-afternoon snack .... the glycerine will be used as fuel in preference over KETONES. So, even though there's no rise in insulin, and consequently no storage of fat resulting, it can and will inhibit ketosis and fatBURNING. For some folks, it can take many hours (up to 24) to get back into ketosis and fat-burning mode.

3. Homemade protein bars can be a suitable alternative, as long as the individual ingredients aren't problematic for the user. It really is great to have something fast and ready to grab, that actually tastes good ..

I guess too, if you're really hungry, and the choice is a glycerine-sweetened protein bar vs. Snickers, the better choice is obviously the lower carb bar, which is also a lot higher in protein too.

Just my opinions, and some folks eat these bars with no problem. Expensive though ..

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-01, 10:48

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Doreen - Do you know any good recipes for homemade bars

Does anyone know any good recipes for protien bar / lo carb bar?

#8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-01, 11:35
Forum Founder

BF:
Default hi WinterHope

Actually, I posted a recipe just yesterday in another area of this board .. ... Click here to read it. I think that whole thread is worth reading, which is why I've included a link, rather than just copy the recipe here.

I suppose I should post the recipe to our Recipes page, (right Karen?? .. ) --- as soon as I locate the source, so I can give proper credit.

Doreen
(who doesn't love winter, and is pinning all HER hopes on summer **sigh**)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 17:26

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the Recipe will try it

Hello Doreen;

I will give those protien bars a shot, what about using no sugar peanut butter instead of peanuts?

Thanks, it sounds really great!

Ps The name winter hope, comes from a type of fly that is used for fly fishing, I attached to my earlier posted. I could not figure out how to add it my id. I think the resolution is too high or something.

Winter

Thanks Again

#10   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 17:42
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi WinterHope,

the photo is beautiful. If you want to use it as an avatar with your sign in name to the left of your posts, just shrink it down to 100 x 100 pixels or less. It's too big as it is for the database to load as an avatar.

For the bars, peanut or any other nut butter would work, but they would be a lot gooey-er...

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 18:00

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein Bars

Here's my favourite recipe for these:

7 scoops of Designer Protein (GNC)
1/2 cup melted butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup Splenda (or whatever amount you like according to your taste)

I have used chocolate, vanilla and strawberry protein powder.. With the strawberry I like to add a little unsweetened coconut.

Soft the butter and cream cheese together...and mix. Add in the protein powder, and Splenda....stir in your nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut or whatever else you're using. The batter will be pretty stiff. Spread a pan (I use a bread pan), press in mixture. If necessary spray your hands.

Chill in the frig and then cut into bars. I sometimes sort them individually frozen in a zip-loc bag, and then I can just grab one to take to work.

Play with these ingredients and I'm sure you'll come up with something you really like. Pretty simple...taste better than any of the bars I've tried...and a lot cheaper.

#12   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 18:22

Plan: Basically Atkins
Stats: 204/194/145
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi! I just signed in to this forum for the first time - I have been searching for a low-carb solution to the "SLIMFAST" bars and drinks for several years and have some across a couple of options. I have no idea if they're available at this point in Canada, but I am launching a new website by June 1st that will carry a variety of these types of products. I'm planning to offer cookbooks and/or recipes - as well as snack and meal-replacement options that are low-carb and high protein. I'm excited about the brands I've found so far and am in the process of becoming a representative for a couple of companies. These "bars" taste MUCH better than any other I've tried - including Atkins (yuk!). Please stay tuned!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 18:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard FN

Wa'il