Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/275/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Depression?!?!

I have never really been a depressed person. But over the last month, I have been so sad. Soooooooooo sad. Just tearing up and crying.

Are there any foods that will cheer me up?

My doctor said something about Seritonin Levels and gave me an RX for a happy pill, but I want to go NATURAL.

I am trying to get back to Mother Earth here.

Any suggestions? Anyone else been sad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:43
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Estrogen is stored in fat cells. This is why many overweight women have problems with bc pills and so on. With alot of weight loss your estrogen levels will start to drop and hormones fluxuate as your body tries to balance out. This may not be what your problem is, and you should talk to your doctor, but it could just be a hormonal issue. Basicaly a postpartum depression without a baby to cry at you

Read through the Atkins web site. He recomends discussing with a doctor natural treatments for things like menopause and depression. St. John's wort is an herb that is used to help with depresion. Getting enough sleep is also a huge factor as certain hormones and chemicals are released as you sleep. Another great way to get your body to release natural feel good hormones is to exercise. Endorphens are released, this is one of the things that can cause people to become addicted to exercise, the feel godo feeling they get. When depressed it can be extreamly hard to motivate to exercise. If you can manage to find a friend who will exercise with you it does wonders as you motivate each other and guilt each other Chocolate and red whine can also improve mood, but should be an occasional treat.

From Atkins web site
Quote:
Phosphatidyl serine improves memory and energizes thinking. It can also help with seasonal depression. Just be sure not to take it in the evening because it may keep you awake.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 08:46

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

First, I think you are a very strong person to admit that you are depressed and to ask for help. Since we don't know your level of depression, I would not recommend you mess about with 'natural' curatives at this point. I would caution you against self medication. I'm sure your doctor asked many questions to determine your level of depression. Obviously, s/he thought it was serious enough to prescribe an anti-depressant. Mental illness is nothing to treat lightly. It is a disease, just like diabetes. Sometimes it's better to use science than nature.

I would caution you to steer clear of alcohol completely. It is a depressant substance and is not a good good solution to depression. Medication is only one facet of it's treatment. I would encourage you to visit a mental health counselor too. S/he could work with your primary care physician to make sure you receive proper care and treatment. Too may people think that medication alone will resolve their depression. It is true that getting excercise can help improve depression, but it is hard for depressed people to get motivated. Don't beat yourself up if you have no desire or energy to move right now.

I have battled depression for most of my adult life and I work in a mental health agency as an educator. I understand how frightening it can be. Please try to read more about depression and why it can occur. Sometimes there has been a situational cause for it (death of a loved one for instance) or it could be a chemical imbalance (low seratonin levels) that is responsible.

Depression is nothing to be ashamed about. It happens to about 7 million adults in the U.S. every year.

Take care

Last edited by LCBarbara : Wed, Jul-02-03 at 08:51.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 08:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default More Leafy Greens

Becks

I just happened to see this article this morning on Yahoo and then read your post. It got me to wondering if some of us on the Low carb woe might not get enuf folate. While meat is a good source, leafy green vegetables are better, I guess.

I totally agree with Barb. If you don't want to go the happy pill route, seek out mental health counseling first. Usually, the combination of the two work well, but as a mental health professional, I have seen many many people feel so much better just having someone to talk to who has no personal investment in their lives. i almost never advocate for the pills until therapy has been tried first, and even then, it depends on how much the depression is interfering with your functioning. For instance, are you still able to get up and go to work/school? Do you still get stuff done that you're supposed to get done? Are you having any thoughts of harming yourself? IF the answer to the first two questions is 'yes' and the last one 'no' then definitely seek counseling....there is something going on that therapy might be able to help. But you must stick with it for a while.....several months at least. People generally don't need the antidepressants unless their depression has significantly interfered with their ability to perform their normal daily tasks and/or they are suicidal. Try counseling....It works!!!

k

-Vitamin Problems May Cause Depression in Some
Sat Jul 5, 4:27 PM ET

By Alison McCook

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - New findings suggests that some people with depression might have problems metabolizing the B vitamin folate -- supporting the idea that supplements could help ward off the condition, researchers say.

Investigators in Norway found that depression occurred more commonly in people who had high levels of the amino acid homocysteine in their blood, and in those who carried a form of a gene that encodes a protein involved in processing folate.

Homocysteine is a normal byproduct of metabolism, and folic acid -- the form of folate found in supplements -- is known to aid in breaking down homocysteine.

"Lack of folate and/or a disturbed folate metabolism ... may partially be the cause of the depression in some people," study author Dr. Ingvar Bjelland of the University of Bergen told Reuters Health.

Previous research has suggested that folic acid supplements may boost the effects of antidepressants, an idea supported by the current study, Bjelland said.

The results, which appear in the Archives of General Psychiatry, "could even support the suggestion that folate may prevent depression," the researcher noted.

Bjelland and colleagues obtained their findings by scanning blood samples from 5,948 people between the ages of 46 and 49, and screening them for depression and anxiety.

The researchers found that people who had relatively high levels of homocysteine in their blood were almost twice as likely to be depressed, relative to people with the lowest blood levels of homocysteine.

According to the report, depression was also linked to a form of the gene for a folate-processing enzyme associated with poorer efficiency in the breakdown of folate.

Anxiety, however, was not related to either homocysteine or the folate-processing enzyme.

Although markers of folate metabolism appeared altered in depression, actual levels of folate in the blood did not appear to differ between people with and without depression.

Bjelland noted that while this result is surprising, measuring folate in the blood may, in fact, be a "less precise" indication of how much folate is actually in cells.

"In addition, in our study the laboratory method of measuring homocysteine was more accurate than the method for folate," Bjelland said.

Explaining why folate might play a role in depression, the researcher said the body may need the B vitamin to build important substances in the brain -- a lack of which may cause depression and other mental disorders.

To Bjelland, the current study supports a simple message: get your vitamins.

"Vitamins are important, not only for the physical health, but for the mental health as well," the researcher said.

SOURCE: Archives of General Psychiatry 2003;60:618-626.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/235/135 Female 5' 8"
BF:57%
Progress: 20%

Hi there Becks,

I too have been battling depression all my life, and I am blessed with a family history of it as well. A few years ago, I finally broke down. I just couldn't stop crying, the tears would flow for no reason. I tried counselling, then I finally fessed up to my family doctor, and got a referal to a psychiatrist.
Admitting you are depressed is hard...you always feel that you are the only one (I know I did) and others thought I was just faking being sick.
All I knew is I didn't know myself at all, and I wore a different "hat" for every event, every job, every person I ever met. I was exhausted. Time took its toll on me and thus I had a breakdown.
I tried several pills to help with the tears, but only one worked, and that was effexor. I just needed to think and react without emotion interfering.
Well, it has been a couple of years now, and I feel GREAT. Also this LCíng is really helping. Choosing the right carbs and the combination of protein has increased my serotonin levels.
I continue on with the effexor, and maintain my appointments with a psychiatrist as we delve into issues of past that took me to that breakdown
I wish you luck......it really does get better, there is LOTS of reading about depression. Gather all you can.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/135
BF:28%
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Another alternative...

I found a "Natural" source that has been working for me!

I think that everyone is different. I, also, have suffered from depression for several years. After seeing countless doctors and psycologists over the past twelve years and being on about fifteen different prescription medications, I have found a "natural" treatment that is working for me.

My suggestion is that you read a book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. It's based on over ten years of clinical study and gives you several alternatives to prescription medication for depression, food cravings, mood swings, etc.

It helped me and it may, in fact, have the answers that you are looking for. I bought my copy off of E-Bay, so you don't even need to find it in a bookstore.

Never forget, tomorrow is always a NEW day...
Good luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 16:27

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default depression

Don't know where else to post this, but have been have a pretty major episode - still on prozac. Anyhow, the last couple of days have been trying to do nice stuff for self, stuff that I know will not really make me feel GOOD, but will not make it worse the next morning. Went for walk, swinging weights. Checked the brakes on dad's car - he'd been wanting me to do that, but I had been putting him off, paralyzed with depression/intertia. Realized that was making me feel worse, so did it, and had one less thing on the plate. Then worked on my own car, with some stuff that had to be done to stay in warrenty. Went to the liquor store, told my favorite clerk that I have been hitting it way too much. So there's one more place I'm ashamed to buy alcohol. Anyhow, none of this stuff makes me feel swell, But I realize how much crappier I would feel if I was still putting off dad, still drinking myself to sleep at night, etc.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:07

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default Go To The Doctor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks
I have never really been a depressed person. But over the last month, I have been so sad. Soooooooooo sad. Just tearing up and crying.

My doctor said something about Seritonin Levels and gave me an RX for a happy pill, but I want to go NATURAL.

Hello....I too have been depressed most of my life...at differrent levels... I could never understand why I wasn't happy and always sad... Anyway...I cry all the time too... I suggest seeing a physician first and seeing if an antidepressant might help.... St. John's Wart, however, works for some people... The Protein Power diet has worked some for me... Exercise is supposed to help release endorphines and increase serotonine levels... You might want to do some research on the internet for natural alternatives... Flax seed is supposed to help too... Vitamin B 12 also...

The problem with antidepressants are the side effects...so I understand not wanting to try them...and most doctor's aren't going to provide you with a list of them... It's up to you to do the research for yourself. It seems that the answer for most doctor's is a pill and I'm tired of them myself....experimenting with Flax Seed...St. Vitamins, John's Wort...and exercise... But so far...the PP Plan seems to be helping with some of the symptoms...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:54
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I just want to add one thing to this excellent conversation here...I feel for everyone who's written about being depressed, knowing how hard it is to realize that that's what's going on. It was YEARS of intense depression and anxiety before I sought out help--because my family had always mocked me for the way I was, and just kind of chalked it up to personality. But now, in middle age, I realize that it runs in the family in a very strong way, and I have no control over it striking me. It's not a character flaw or personality deficit--it's faulty brain chemistry at work.

I have anxiety/depression with OCD, and it's fundamentally necessary for me to take medication. I don't think of it as a "happy pill," because it doesn't make me happy. Instead, it gives me the clarity of mind so that I can think out my problems instead of reacting to them in a panic or through the ritualized behaviors of OCD. The "natural" route may work for some people, but it sure as heck didn't for me (I was in talk therapy. supplemented with herbs, meditation, and a rigorous exercise program for years, and the net result was that all of the conditions got worse). Once I started taking the meds, I controlled my life again, instead of my disorders controlling me.

So don't necessarily think of giving into the meds as a last resort, becks--it may me what your body and soul need.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/180/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hello There

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks

hi becks,

sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with depression. i have experienced depression in the past as well, but i have found something that has worked for me.

I have been supplementing omega-3 and omega-6 into my diet and taking about 10 grams per day and it's been working wonderfully for me. it actually made my mood turn around from being depressed to happy.

omega-3 and omega-6 are essential fatty acids (EFAs) which are polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) that come from fish oils. You can purchase them at your local GNC. they sell omega-3 supplements and you can use flax seed oils as a source for omega-6.

this is the reason why it is believed to work. i'm not a biochemist, but i did a little bit of homework.

omega-3 oils contain EPA and DHA, these are two phospholipids. The brain's solid matter consists of 8% DHA and EPA plays a very significant role in the brain's functioning. some scientists believe that our human brains have evolved to it's current state due to the consumption of EPA and DHA food sources since fossils of our ancestors have been found near water where acquatic life is a very rich source of these EFAs.

anyway, there's also been some research done on bi-polar patients whom were showing no reaction to pharmaceutical treatments. the subjects were given 10 grams of omega-3 per day and about 15% of the bi-polar patients whom couldn't get any results before received positive results from omega-3 supplements. bi-polar disorder is believed to be related to depression as well as schizophrenia.

well, i again apologize for any inaccuraccy of data, but just want to give you a general idea. you should search on the web regarding omega-3.

good luck and i hope you feel better. don't stop trying to get help.

take care.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:54

Thumbs up Excellent Info Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrubb
hi becks,

omega-3 and omega-6 are essential fatty acids (EFAs) which are polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) that come from fish oils. You can purchase them at your local GNC. they sell omega-3 supplements and you can use flax seed oils as a source for omega-6.

take care.

I am currrently reading about Omega 3's and just started taking 5HTP.... to increase my serotonin levels... Have been taking flax seed for about a week but upped the dosage to 2 T two days ago.... I'm glad to know that it is helping you.... I have been eating more fish lately hoping that this would help, particularly salmon.... I love it with mustard sauce...

After posting this earlier, I found some supporting information regarding Omega 3's and depression.... Check out this site.... http://abcnews.go.com/sections/livi...sion020916.html

What I found interesting was that earlier today I noticed my moods were better and I was trying to pinpoint what it was...5HTP or closer meals, turkey (contains tryptophan)... Well, in this article is says that Omega 3's include salmon, nuts, etc... Well last night for dinner I had salmon, one hour prior to eating my turkey roll-up today I snacked on walnuts... Plus, I had the 5HTP this morning...could this be concidence...we'll see...

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 16:01.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 15:46

Lightbulb FOODS CONTAINING TRYPTOPHAN & OMEGA 3'S

I've been reading up on foods that are rich in tryptophan and omega 3's...research indicates, as others have said, that they help to eleviate depression symptoms...

Here is an excellent site.....

http://whfoods.org

Just go to the Nutrient List and select the one you are interested in and it gives you a list of those foods that have the higher ranges....
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:32

Plan: Atkins, Daily Cardio, Some weight training, Pillates & Yoga
Stats: // Female 5'8.5
BF:25.5%
Progress:

:angel :
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:38

Plan: Atkins, Daily Cardio, Some weight training, Pillates & Yoga
Stats: // Female 5'8.5
BF:25.5%