Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 04:50

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Can't have Flaxseed with thyroid problems??

I read somewhere to avoid Flaxseed with thyroid problems.

I just started eating Flaxseed MEAL because of constipation. Anyone know anything about needing to avoid this? And if so, what am I supposed to do for constipation? I know it's a hypothyroid symptom, but right now my thyroid is actually more on the high side so I doubt there is a connection. I can't take Metamucil(sp) because aspartme kills my ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 04:50

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

By the way, anyone have any sites with a list of foods to avoid? Besides the most common like soy. I've been to about.com, couldn't find anything but some lady trying to sell her books.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I don't know about flaxseed and thyroid, certainly soy and crucifers (cabbage family) are issues. I found this on www.thyroiduk.org I think.
As for other fibre - in the UK we can buy psyllium husks, with no sweeteners or anything added - can you get them where you live?
Jay
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 14:19

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi Keto

My best cure for constipation is to up the fat! It really works - after a breakfast of bacon and scrambled egg fried in butter, I'm ready to "go" within half an hour. Fat stimulates the gastrocolic reflex when the gallbladder starts contracting to produce bile to digest the fat in the gut. What kind of fat % are you eating atm?

Btw, don't know about the flax issue - but I do know it bloats me up so I avoid it anyway Do you know if flax oil is also not good for thyroids?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 15:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

There's a bit of a myth out there that flax seeds contain cyanide, and will harm the thyroid.

The truth is, flax seeds do contain a cyanide-like glycoside, which is rendered inactive by the digestive juices in our stomach. The amount in the seed is very minute ... mostly it's found in the leaf of the plant. I've written more about it in this post.

So enjoy your daily flaxmeal (and flax oil too).

Doreen