Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 07:15

Plan: Jim's modified CALP
Stats: 483/405/220
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default I Scared Myself

Yesterday I experienced something that scared me. I was at an Easter egg hunt with my wife and daughter. I was helping my daughter open the eggs and get the candy out inside. Egg after egg had these various chocolate pieces (nestles crunch, snickers, hersheys, etc.). Well for the first time in several weeks, I had a strong urge for chocolate. I actually thought, "I wonder if I can have just one of these." Wow...is that an addict's way of thinking or what? I'm not sure if it was a physical craving or if maybe I was just depressed thinking about that I wasn't losing weight as fast as I wanted. Anyway, it kinda scared me. I really didn't have a hard time fending off the urge, but man it made me realize how quickly I can go right back into my destructive WOL.

A question for my CAD/CALP brothers and sisters: Where do you think your strength comes from to fend off such situations?
  • Following the plan
  • support from forum members
  • will power
  • other (and if so what?)
I know for me, the plan itself is probably number 1. I know in past ways of dieting I would have obsessed over the chocolate all day until I finally gave in. This time it was a much more fleeting condition.

Still, the support of this forum reminds me in whatever situation I run into that I have a place to come share my thoughts and be understood by people who share the same experiences.

Anyway, just a few thoughts I wanted to share.
God Bless,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post I missed a beat...

Jim! When did you switch to CALP??

I must have missed your change over to CALP. I enjoyed CALP when I did it 2 years ago.

Your stats lok great, so continued success to you!

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 08:08

Plan: Jim's modified CALP
Stats: 483/405/220
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Donald,
I switched after I did induction...2 weeks ago. It seems to fit me better, and right now I'm still experimenting with the right fit. I know that carbs are my enemy, and I learning the best way to deal with them. It's a great feeling to have options and feel in control.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/186/170
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default chocolate

Hi Jim,

Same thing happened to me on Friday. At work we have this visiting scholar from Switzerland. He had brought in a huge box of Swiss chocolates. I was very very tempted. But what I did was take the chocolate, about 3 pieces, put it inside my desk, and plan it into my reward meal. There is definitely something about knowing you can have it soon...just not now. It wasn't easy waiting, but I did, and very glad I did. If I hadn't, not only would have I cheated, it would have set up that whole mentality for me..."well, I already blew it, might as well eat the rest of the day" By waiting, I was able to eat the chocolate AND stay on my diet.

Rain
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 18:52

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Temptations

I purchased 5 regular size Snickers bars from a kid down the street who is raising money to go to on a trip. Now, let me be completely upfront and claim that Snickers bars are THE best candy bar in the world as far as I'm concerned. That being said, it's not a far stretch to think that I would have consumed them already being that I purchased them 2 days ago. Instead, I put them in my freezer, all 5 of them. They remain there still. I KNOW I can have one with my RM at some point, but when I CHOOSE to have them. Then I'll take one out of the freezer and let it thaw and eat it one night after a carbless dinner.

One of the things that keeps me going is actually a very sad thing. Both my brother and sister-in-law are both drastically overweight. My brother is now diabetic and has a trac tube in his throat because he has trouble breathing because of his weight. They started Atkins about a month or so ago and have already ditched it because it was too hard, too much of a committment, they didn't like eating eggs every day, etc.... I tried to share with them about CAD thinking that it might be a less rigid WOE for them, but their committment level just isn't there.

Coupled with this fantastic forum, I just have no reason not to be motivated! (and folks like... well, I could name names, but there are just too many and I wouldn't want to leave anyone out)

I'm also completely enjoying this woe. I love to cook now, and I didn't before. I am constantly looking for new recipes and ways to subsitute high carb foods with low ones, etc.

The diet is easy, makes sense and fits me as well.

Did I cover everything???? If not, let me know..

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 20:15

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default temptations...... old habits?

I think my main trouble is OLD HABITS. I am like Jim... put me near all that candy and I can't help but think about it. Old habits take a while to change. I would put something in my mouth out of habit and not because I was actually hungry for it.

Today is Easter.....and I have no craving for any of it. I have stayed away from "that stuff" alllllll day long. I do not wish to eat a bunny ear....... or a malt ball egg that leaves my mouth blue.. LOL. Today I am enjoying this holiday for what it is.

Jim......

Will Power. I want to be healthy. I don't care so much any more about the number, but I want my health and weight is a huge health issue. This gives my Will some Power.

The Forum.... helps a lot. You folks experience some of the same things I do and it simply makes me feel good to know that there are others out there who understand how I feel.

The Plan. The CALP book promised me all these wonderful things and I am gona stick to it and make them keep their promises!! LOL. I think I have a deep down secret wish to be one of those success stories that they use as an example. I want to be the success story that starts ".....and after 4 years on CALP she still maintains her goal weight....." know what I mean? I want so much for this to last forever.

Other..... hmm.... well, If I must admit..... I sure do enjoy my love life more when I am a little thinner. Ya'll got to admit you do too.
Enough said.

Happy Easter everyone.
Best wishes,
Libby