Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-12, 18:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Braised Beef Heart

This was my first try eating and cooking beef heart. It's delicious! It tastes like strong beef with a slightly mineral flavor. It's not unpleasant at all.

1 lb beef heart cubed (marinated in 2 T Worcestershire sauce for a few hours)
4 oz onion, sliced
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, smashed flat
1 can beef broth
1 T butter
1 T bacon grease
salt, pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary, dried parsely, one bay leaf, cumin, red pepper flakes (all spices to taste)

In a heavy sautee pot cook the onions and garlic in the butter until clear, remove from pan and set aside, pat the beef heart cubes dry, and brown in the bacon grease for about five minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients into the pan, bring to a boil, then turn it down and simmer for two hours. I took the lid off for the last 20 minutes to let it reduce a bit.

I ate mine plain, it's sort of like a stew, but you could serve it over shirataki noodles. For the spices I did about 1/2 to 1 tsp each but didn't measure exact amounts. All the net carbs count towards your veggie carbs. I didn't count the carbs in the spices. This has definitely made me want to experiment more with beef heart.

Serves 3-4
Cal: 859
Fiber: 6.15
Fat: 42.98
Protein: 85.71
Carbs: 31.7
Net Carbs: 25.55 (8.5-6.39 per serving)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-12, 19:03
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I think I had it years ago as a child, but don't have much recollection of the flavor. Seems like I liked it though. And I think My Mom did braise it with onions, broth and just salt and pepper.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 09:09

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

your recipe sounds really yummy i love beef heart, it's so tender (so much better than stewing beef imho)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Wow sounds delicious. I've been wanting to try heart for a long time now cuz it's sposed to be chock full of bio-available CoQ10. I think Carabou heart is even higher than beef. Now where can we get some? LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 17:59

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Just bought some

I just ordered 3 pounds of organic beef heart from a new food co-op I joined. They deliver to my remote community, so why not? I love moose and caribou heart, but I've never eaten the livers. Now that I'm moving toward primal I will definitely use the liver next time we get a large animal. Heart is surprisingly mild and tasty. COQ10, I did not know that.

I usually do heart sliced thinly, fried in butter with onions, salt and pepper.
Don't overcook it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 18:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I just picked up some more heart at the grocery store and am going to braise it in the crock pot this time without the tomatoes. Just stock, onions, spices, and a bay leaf. I think it would be good over mashed cauliflower this way and without the tomatoes I can afford the carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Gosh that sounds lovely! maybe you could add a bit of celery and green onion, like the Trinity (Cajun), make a sauce piquant! mmmmm! Ok, I'm getting some next order with our meat guy!